NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Were These Authentic?

Posted By: Matt

Clark's Ruth and Gertenrich Cobb:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-1921-Ty-Cobb-1922-Vintage-lot_W0QQitemZ220227220564

the blurriness and the clipped corner on the Cobb scared me away.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They look artificially aged to me...and that clipped corner on the Cobb is too suspicious.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

More junk, from junk dealers

Jimmy

Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

can be really scary - especially little known or infrequently encountered examples. There's always a leap of faith somewhere on the continuum. There's possibly an alarm or two on these cards or the listing but nothing definitive. Guess in part that's why there are grading companies or forums like this board. I'm always leary of overly damaged rare cards - especially on the internet. I used to work at the Metropolitan Opera in NY. Great job and what went on behind the scenes and in it's bowels was incredible. My office abutted the scenic shop for a few years and some of the most interesting things I learned came from someone whose job it was to "distress" fabrics and scenery. The effects he could produce (RIP G - died from AIDS complications) were amazing. Even in person one could easily be fooled - and these were larger items - imagine cards. So much easier in cyberspace with fancy picture programs and uber copiers. If I were still collecting rare types and/or whatever - had the person offered but a single type and I wasn't already leary about buying on the internet and the card's "distess" - I could see myself pulling the trigger if I could afford it.... They "look" pretty good but I have no exemplars. Perhaps I could get Mr. Moralass to authenticate them online for me.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

One of the backs was printed the wrong way. I checked them both (the Clarks and Gertenrich) a few days back. I forget which one now but one of the back is facing the wrong way so I decided they were both fakes IMO.

Also the seller sells new junk so the red flags were all out there.

I stayed away.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

What's truly alarming is someone may have paid over a thousand dollars for these (if they even sold).

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

They did sell and the buyer is someone who has experience buying expensive pre-war cards.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As one of the most esoteric collectors out here I guess I field a few esoteric questions. The buyer emailed me after the fact to ask about them. I told him that I didn't like the way they looked from the scans as they looked too grainy to me. I told him I would make sure I have a money back guarantee. He said he has a money back guarantee and I told him that was a good thing....The seller is obviously a good seller with very good feedback....regards

Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator

PS....... The Clark's back is facing the wrong way.

I have only owned one Clark's card, but sold it a few years back (the scans of the example card in the 2008 SCD Catalog are my scans).

The Clark's card I had (pictured in the 2008 SCD) had a large grease stain on it so its easy to match the front to the back to see what direction the back faces on an authentic card.

Plus 90% of all Gertenrich cards will have a spot of glue or paper damage in the middle of the back. This one doesnt have it and the detail of the baseball field is not as crisp and detailed as the 2 examples I own.

The back of both cards has a washed out look and just looks homemade.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You know as well as I do that many cards had their backs printed the wrong way so I don't think that in itself is the most telling feature. They just don't look sharp enough (even in their poor condition)for me to think they are real.....BTW< I think I have several cards with wrong way printing on the backs....

Old 04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Ranson

I would be scared away by the poor quality of the images. These could be legit but I want to see big scans before making a buy.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: seth

Prior to purchasing this ebay auction, I arranged with the seller for a money back guarantee. I thought there were some possible features of the scans that were questionable, but decided to give this a shot. They would be significant cards in any condition. I'll post an update after I know what's going on with them.

Best,
Seth

Old 04-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

A plus, is the wear on the fronts. If they do turn out to be fake the doctored wear was done fairly good. That would be a deal if they are both good.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

IMO the corners look clipped, like someone was trying to artifically round the corners and did a horrible job. Why would someone clip the corners on those cards? For Seth's sake I hope they turn out to be real.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I also think they're no good, but I suspect we'll know more once Seth has them in hand.

First, as Frank said, the Clark's back is in the wrong direction, which raises serious flags.

Second, although the font's look spot on, the "C" "A" "R" and "'" in Clark's look off to me (see below).

Third, the detail looks muddy or unclear to me, like a copy, although that could be poor scans. You should be able to see some pretty clear detail like pennants above grandstand in the Lou G card (see below).

Fourth, I just don't see cards from these sets tone like that. I admit I don't chase these sets to any real degree, but in my experience, these and their e12* counterparts tend to stay mostly white even when beat up, or at least don't turn that color. Sure these cards could have been exposed to something out of the ordinary to cause the toning--or that just could be artificial aging (which I believe).

Fifth, lousy scans and Ruth + Cobb. Usual tell tale signs.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Fake!, detail is completely wrong. Authentic backs of these cards (as can be seen on Todd's scans) are sharp in their detail. Even in crappy condition the detail would be there, and these don't. These don't pass the smell test, and I hope the buyer gets his money back when he returns them.

It is funny that he would have 2 cards from two totally unrelated sets and just happen to have Ruth and Cobb--very interesting! I always wonder where all the Al Mamaux and William Fewster fakes are!?!
-Rhett

Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: seth

the cards were not authentic.