NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Rapid Robert

Not supremely challenging to find, but I was able to finally add this 1950's Bob Feller pinback button that I found at an antique mall in North Cincinnati yesterday. I've had this on my want list for awhile and finally nabbed one. The best news is that its in great shape and was on sale for 25% off. Nice!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Feller 1950's Pinback Button.jpg (45.4 KB, 308 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-27-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 AM

Default Broadside Bonanza

Photobucket
18 1/4" x 12"

Photobucket
24" x 18.75

Photobucket
Read more about this broadside on my home page www.SportsAntiques.com

It's been a good January for broadsides..one of my favorite collecting areas. I picked up the three above over the last month. One of the best aspects a broadside can have is the year plainly announced...and the FB and the balloning both have the year...the Yale one is a little tougher...no sport indicated. I'm pretty positive the Yale vs. Riverview was for Riverview Military Academy, in Poughkeepsie New York...opened in 1866, closed in the 20's ...The two schools are about 80 miles apart. And I think it would have been for baseball being that it was in May....and the word "game" called at 3:30, is used as opposed to a "meet" or "regatta" or "race" or something...

The football one is for Harvard freshmen vs Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire NH...Harvard and Exeter were very tight at the turn of the century...Exeter had the first cinder track and Harvard would travel there to use it...The broadside is a pink color.
Photobucket

All three are so fragile I hesitate to even touch them any more than necessary until I get them framed. The French ballooning one is so big 33 1/2" x 16 1/2" and it's so fragile I'm amazed it's in such good shape. I asked the seller where he got it and he couldn't remember and said he'd had it a long time and stored it carefully.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You find antique broadsides printed on various weight paper...from heavy cardstock to very light paper. All the ones above are on very lightweight paper. The lightweight ones are interesting...Broadsides printed on cardstock would have had to have been pinned or nailed to display...But I think these lightweight paper ones were dipped in a wheat paste solution and pasted to a wall. As I recall from reading up on it years ago...the persons who went around pasting posters to walls and fences were called bill posters and I suppose it was a profession of sorts. I speculate during the 19th - early 20th century a school or business or some entity would place an order for a broadside with a printing house and perhaps the printing house would hire a bill poster to go around with a stack of broadsides pasting them up. As I recall this was common in London and Paris...and no doubt here in America. Obviously the lightweight ones that have survived never got posted. The bigger a broadside the more rare.

Photobucket
Occasionally I'll buy a non sports broadside. Probably the greatest non sport broadside I ever saw was a could'a should'a....It was probably 5 years ago...I saw it on eBay and swung too low...It was a lecture broadside for Frederick Douglas the 19th century African American social reformer...It was about four feet tall and his name was in huge elongated font...a total classic...but it was in real bad shape....But if ever there was a broadside worth restoring!!! Phew!...I've never forgotten that one.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-02-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added Harvard/Exeter newspaper clipping 2/2/12
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Boston Braves pillow cover.

Frederick Douglass, Two of his son's served with the 54th Mass Reg't, Vols (Glory). Keep an eye out Carlton, it may return one day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Massachusetts 54th.jpg (62.0 KB, 258 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default mid-50s American & National League Team Pins

I like the fact that it has the original cardboard back and the pins are really in nice condition. Got this from McCann.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Default Congrats

Very nice...you scored 100 on that one. I like the walking billboard

Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Thanks Dan. Awesome pick-up on the NI postcard! I've got 11 different teams now. Overall between MLB, minor league and college I have around 50. I just picked up one of my grail items today. It's a 1954 Wichita Indians road jersey. I've been after one of these for over 10 years. The only other one I know of is in a museum and it doesn't have an original patch. I also landed two jerseys from alma mater that I'm pretty excited to get.
Very Cool! Go Creighton!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Not supremely challenging to find, but I was able to finally add this 1950's Bob Feller pinback button that I found at an antique mall in North Cincinnati yesterday. I've had this on my want list for awhile and finally nabbed one. The best news is that its in great shape and was on sale for 25% off. Nice!!
Nice Scott. Anytime you can find a decent baseball relic at an antique mall, and it is not grossly overpriced, it is a bonus. I seem to find that quality baseball related items are few and far between these days at the antique stores.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

+1. Couldn't agree more. I never find baseball stuff.

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 01-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Sorry was having computer problems

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 01-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Sweet! You got it...I was wondering how that deal was coming along. Do you know who wore those Wichita State jerseys?
Yep I picked it up yesterday. He emailed me and said come and get it. I was pretty excited. The grey Wichita State jersey belonged to Lewallen and the yellow was Linden. No big name players. I think WSU and the sports museum have all the big time jerseys.

Ben, well I'll let that Creighton remark slide, for now.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
Nice Scott. Anytime you can find a decent baseball relic at an antique mall, and it is not grossly overpriced, it is a bonus. I seem to find that quality baseball related items are few and far between these days at the antique stores.
+1. Couldn't agree more. I never find baseball stuff.

Adam and Michael,
It's interesting, but I infrequently ever get a chance to visit Antique Malls these days although I did a lot of this in my past. I happened to have a business call with an account in the area and had never ever been in this huge Antique Mall. It looked big and I had a few minutes to kill after the call so I went inside and found the Feller pinback in the second glass case that I looked at. It was marked $44. When I went to check out the cashier let me know it was on sale for 25% off. Sweet!

Antique malls are definately hit and miss, but I've managed to pull a few great pickups out of them through the years.....

Thanks for your props!
Scott
Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Jim Murphy

still find 95% of my stuff at garage sales, flea markets and antique stores. Out of the house at 4:30 on Saturday and Sundays to go to markets
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Default Winchester Kren's Special Hans Lobert Bat

Was lucky to pick up this extremely rare Winchester Kren's Special Hans Lobert bat. Kren bats were only offered for one year - 1923 - in the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. catalog. This is one of six models that was offered that year. I have seen a couple of Ruth models, but never a Lobert model. Very happy to add it to my Kren collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3207.jpg (78.7 KB, 317 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Matt

Mike.
Super rare bat, great pick up
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Greenberg collection
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Nice white 1944 Detroit Tigers team signed ball

. . . had to wait an extra week or two to receive this team signed ball, on account of the seller shipped it to the wrong person. But after a flurry (I'm in Michigan, after all) of emails, this ball is now happily in my hands.

Nothing special about the 1944 team, other than it's a war-time era signed ball, and that the ball it is still quite white in color (which I don't encounter too often for this period). I don't generally collect team signed baseballs of this era, on account of the signatures often appear much bolder in the listings than they actually are (IMHO). But for the right price, I'll bite. The price was right on this one, and will be a much appreciated addition to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1944 Detroit Tigers team signed baseball contact sheet.jpg (78.5 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 01-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM
J@RR0D

I haven't posted a pickup in awhile but this beauty arrived today. It looks nice in my office at work. The sharpness and detail is great in person. Thanks to Steve for the deal on it.

Last edited by scmavl; 01-31-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM

Jarrod - sounds like you just got it and put it right up on display. Can't blame you with that great shot, especially with my favorite Dodger in the front of the line!

I've not yet obtained a slabbed photo myself in part because I've always wondered how to display them while avoiding the garish (to my thinking) TPA info. Out of curiosity, what, if anything do you do to hide the labeling info? (I assume it was relatively simple since you displayed it so quickly!)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM
J@RR0D

Thanks, jt39! It's propped up in the corner of my top shelf with the PSA label hidden behind a signed photo of Stan Musial in a frame. Not a perfect solution, and I may unslab it and get a real frame for it in the future. The PSA slabs are basically a toploader that's sealed. I like to buy photos slabbed as I know I'm getting a true Type I (hopefully!) but on those I'm sure I won't resell, I don't mind busting them out for display purposes. I will usually keep the PSA or Beckett label though and tape it to the back of the frame.

I'm waiting for a client to come in and say something about it. I'd be thrilled if they recognized Furillo or Hodges especially.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 PM

Ah, the simplest solutions are always the most elegant. This reasoning will revolutionize my constant struggle to justify memorabilia purchases to my wife -- "no, honey, this Stan Musial signed photo isn't yet another item, it is a part of my display for the Brooklyn Dodgers photo I just got!"

Let's just hope that the Musial isn't slabbed as well!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM
J@RR0D

Here is a really bad pic I took this morning with my phone. Pardon the glare.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I haven't posted a pickup in awhile but this beauty arrived today. It looks nice in my office at work. The sharpness and detail is great in person. Thanks to Steve for the deal on it.

Hey Jarrod. This photo was once in my collection, and am very happy it found a good home! It's a terrific image... enjoy!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Hey Jarrod. This photo was once in my collection, and am very happy it found a good home! It's a terrific image... enjoy!
Well don't look for it to be back on the market anytime soon!

Thanks King, it's one of my favorites already.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt39 View Post
I've not yet obtained a slabbed photo myself in part because I've always wondered how to display them while avoiding the garish (to my thinking) TPA info. Out of curiosity, what, if anything do you do to hide the labeling info? (I assume it was relatively simple since you displayed it so quickly!)
I've not tried it myself, but my understanding is the intent of the thin PSA photo "slabs" was that they were thin enough that they could be framed. My thinking would be to cut a piece of mat board with a hole just large enough to accept the holder without shifting around, then cut another mat to lay on top with an opening to frame in the portion of the photo to be displayed. The top mat would have to make a wide border to hide the edges of the slab and label, and the frame would have to be sized several inches larger than the photo itself, but that should work. The Beckett slabs would be a bit more difficult, and to my thinking would always have a "shadow box" kind of feel due to the way the photo sits in the slab.