NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM
btcarfagno btcarfagno is online now
T0m C@rf@gn0
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,992
Default What Are The Best Tells For Stamped Signature Versus Genuine?

I recently purchased a "Chicago Cubs Autograph Book" circa 1937. Really neat piece. 24 pages, each player has his own page. The book originally was said by the auction house (and JSA who never actually handled the piece which I still can't understand but whatever) to have 4 genuine autographs with the rest being stamped.

Here's my dilemma.

It seems to me that there are quite a few other actual signatures as well. There are quite a few that are obvious stamps, and then there are some that I am having trouble distinguishing. This is where I need some help.

What should I look for that will help me to distinguish the ones that may be stamps but aren't quite so obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,891
Default

I hope you don't mind me barging into your thread but I have had similar questions in the past too. I've had this Mike Donlin photo for a while now and I can't tell if its signed or if the signature is in the photo. There's a definite inscription at the top to Bert Ennis but it's in a different color. The signature seems weak for it to be in the photo, but maybe it is. I've tilted it at all different angles and tried magnifying and I still can't tell. The photo has cropping differences which make it unique from the similar photos I've found on the internet. No idea what its story is.


Last edited by packs; 07-19-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I hope you don't mind me barging into your thread but I have had similar questions in the past too. I've had this Mike Donlin photo for a while now and I can't tell if its signed or if the signature is in the photo. There's a definite inscription at the top to Bert Ennis but it's in a different color. The signature seems weak for it to be in the photo, but maybe it is. I've tilted it at all different angles and tried magnifying and I still can't tell. The photo has cropping differences which make it unique from the similar photos I've found on the internet. No idea what its story is.

It appears the end stroke of Donlin abruptly ends at the same point the image area of the photograph ends.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 07-19-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM
dapro dapro is offline
John T.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
It appears the end stroke of Donlin abruptly ends at the same point the image area of the photograph ends.
I agree. Looks printed on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM
7nohitter's Avatar
7nohitter 7nohitter is online now
Member
And.rew Mil.ler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 1,372
Default

My initial reaction is that the signature is printed on...as others have stated it ends at exactly the same point of the photo...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 PM
MooseDog's Avatar
MooseDog MooseDog is online now
J Stone
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 796
Default

Looks like the "signed" photo is a 2nd generation of an original signed photo. The inscription added later.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM
prewarsports prewarsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,306
Default

If it helps, Donlin was known to use Green Ink on his signatures late in life. I had one from 1932 in green ink and have seen a few others. My guess is Donlin sent a photo with a stamped signature out to a fan and wrote the top inscription in his own hand.

Rhys
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
HRBAKER's Avatar
HRBAKER HRBAKER is offline
Jeff
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 4,919
Default

JSA authenticated it but never actually saw/had the item?
They are good!
__________________
Check out my aging Sell/Trade Album on my Profile page

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 40 years."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:00 AM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I recently purchased a "Chicago Cubs Autograph Book" circa 1937. Really neat piece. 24 pages, each player has his own page. The book originally was said by the auction house (and JSA who never actually handled the piece which I still can't understand but whatever) to have 4 genuine autographs with the rest being stamped.

Here's my dilemma.

It seems to me that there are quite a few other actual signatures as well. There are quite a few that are obvious stamps, and then there are some that I am having trouble distinguishing. This is where I need some help.

What should I look for that will help me to distinguish the ones that may be stamps but aren't quite so obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C
Tom,
I don't know if you have a jewelers loop but they are very helpful in distinguishing what is stamped and what is not.
Under the loop a "signature" that is stamped will have visible breaks and gaps throughout the signature. These are not visible to the naked eye but clearly visible under the loop.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 AM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
JSA authenticated it but never actually saw/had the item?
They are good!
Do I detect a note of sarcasm in this post? .
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1952 Topps Trim Tells/Help Archive Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 0 12-27-2007 10:04 AM
GENUINE Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 3 11-07-2007 06:13 AM
At least it's a genuine Hans. Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 10-14-2007 03:26 PM
This description tells it all, at least this seller is honest. Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 02-18-2007 03:41 PM
HELP! Please tell me if these cards are genuine... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 12 06-16-2004 04:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


ebay GSB