NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-13-2016, 04:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Sandberg auto

Autograph hounds - is this authentic? Been in my collection since the 1990's - way before PSA-DNA. Got it at a local card shop. Where I trusted the owner, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 08:23 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I have seen many Sandberg autos, from his early Cubs version to his current "sloppy" autograph and this does not look like anything I would have confidence in.

Just my opinion but I vote not good.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Joshua

I don't think it's real either
Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Scott Silvers

I'm no expert, but looks fake to me. I't doesn't look like his earliest of signatures and it definitely doesn't look like his signature from the '91 Donruss's Signature Series, of which he signed 5K of those things.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Sandberg auto

Thanks guys. I figured as much after I looked at a few authenticated ones on eBay. I spent some money on this probably 25 years ago, but no real skin off of my nose now. If I would want to replace it I probably could do so for $40 or less.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-17-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Scott ku.rtis

I have 3 autographs of Ryne Sandberg and they look nothing like this. I remember thinking I could not make out the Ryne part of it.....short story that maybe you all may appreciate.....

Let's call it 1990. I am on a fantasy trip with my grandpa, before they became what they are now. It basically was a tour bus that stalked the players, touting it as a "Major League Experience" wherein we stayed at the same hotel as the players. Not MLB affiliated at all.

So, the Cubs play the Mets that night. I am 11 years-old and Sandberg is my favorite player as I am a die hard Cubs fan. Anyway, late in the game he hits a big homerun that basically turns the tide of the gsme, and Cubs win. All summer, I planned to get his autograph for my two sisters and myself, because I thought my sisters would want one too. Lost 11 year-old-- they couldn't care less obviously-- what can I say? In the hotel afterwards, going up the escalator, I get 2 autographs, but my grandpa couldn't get the third. Sandberg says "I will get you later" to my grandpa. So we wait.

He goes to the bar, and there is an atrium upstairs. And we wait. And we wait. He and Doug Dascenzo are really clebrating the win. They close the bar down, and Dascenzo is walking him back, and my grandpa and I approach him, and HE SIGNS the card! He is really not sober, bit he is actually a nice guy about 2 semi-legit stalkers approaching him in his private time.

As an adult, I am not proud I stalked the poor guy. As a kid, it was one of the most exciting nights of my life, and a good memory with my grandpa.

I have a much better Andre Dawson story from that trip, if anyone interested. I love that guy.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM
D@vid Cr@ig

I would like to hear the Dawson story.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I would like to hear the Dawson story.
Ok, I love Andre Dawson. I wanted him in the Hall more than anyone else.

So I am in the hotel, and I had brought like an 8x10 of Dawson on the trip. I wanted his autograph so bad. I was like 11 years-old. Huge Cubs fan my whole life.

I walk into an elevator that must have been going up or something. Anyway, I walk right into it and Andre Dawson is standing there. I am so fired up to see him, and I say "Oh, man, I have this really cool, picture of you, and I want you to autograph it for me so bad. Can I go get it?" He says "I will get you on the way to the bus tonight."

I had some serious guts as a kid. I said, "I don't know. There will be a lot of people out there. Can I please run up to my room and get it and have you sign it?" He says "Sure. I am in room 1823".

So I sprint out of the elevator, run to my room, and tell my grandpa "Gramp, I just ran into Andre Dawson, and he will sign my picture. We gotta go." I start sprinting down the hallway and back down to his floor. We both knock on his door, and some dude answers it, looks over at Andre, and gets the nod. We are in.

I walk in and Andre is chilling on his bed. There are two guys getting him to sign a ton of stuff. Some newspapers and photos and stuff. Clearly pros. Anyway, my grandpa can talk to a brick wall. He starts chatting up Dawson. Lord knows what he's asking, but he is just chatting away. Anyway, he then turns and sees the lady sitting on the other end of the bed and says, "Is that Mrs. Dawaon?"

Record scratch. Awkward silence. Little kid gets his autograph and he and grandpa get shown the door.

Last edited by Tennis13; 05-08-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Sandberg auto

Cool story. I got Dawson's auto thru the mail on an '88 Donruss card. Unlike my Sandberg auto card which started this thread, the Dawson (at least so far as I can tell comparing to certified autos...) is authentic.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-08-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Cool story. I got Dawson's auto thru the mail on an '88 Donruss card. Unlike my Sandberg auto card which started this thread, the Dawson (at least so far as I can tell comparing to certified autos...) is authentic.

I dont have it in front of me but i remember the d dropped like a j in Andre.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

(Tell me this isn't fake too, please...)

Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:

It's good and a nice example as well. Always thought Dawson's autograph was cool.
Drew
Old 05-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:

Yeah that one is real. The N also has that tail. This dude was so good at baseball. So underappreciated.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM

That's probably the best Dawson story ever told.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Autograph hounds - is this authentic? Been in my collection since the 1990's - way before PSA-DNA. Got it at a local card shop. Where I trusted the owner, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Thanks for any help.

The local card shop where we trusted the owner. Don't worry same thing happened to me from someone I trusted but it cost me much more. Of course by the time people decide to sell some of these older items those trusted owners are long out of business. It sucks!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk