NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Default What a Shame!!

I know i'm not an expert, but it's beyond me why people bid so much $$ on stated reprints
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260556916110
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250584451917
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250582157796
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250582157796
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

reverse psychology Larry. I list the card as a reprint, but tell you it's from my grandad's collection. I make it sound like I have to list it as a reprint because I don't know anything about the card except that I have had it for 25 years. This woman has been making a saavy living off of Ebay for years doing this stuff. When I saw the fake N173's she had listed and the seller name it rang a bell. In 2007 it was her dad's collection not Grandfather's. There are several sellers using the Dad's / Grandfather's collection tag lines in their listings right now. One of them eexpects to get enough money from a fake Ruth Goudey to buy a truck.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Well dave,
maybe they can use your services one day. I base that statement on your avatar:d
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Default Bad News Bears is where Chico's comes from

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 04-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Nice Racket

It used to be possible to report such listings as an "authenticity disclaimer" violation. I gave up reporting when Ebay stopped acting on such reports.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

the real problem with Ebay is that internally they are out of control and have been for some time. Reporting this person did as much good as all of us reporting JEREMYPADILLA. It doesn't matter that they kicked him off over a year ago and that he was prosecuted for using their website to cheat people. You've got a bunch of 21 year olds working at ebay right now, and they really don't give a damn whether you like what they are doing or not.
Until a reputable competitor comes along this is just going to be par for the Ebay course. In my town about 25% of the people are unemployed if you believe what the Village says. People are doing anything they can to make a buck, and sometimes it is not ethical or legal. when one unscrupulopus seller has success selling "old cards" on Ebay you can bet his/her buddies might give it a go too. at the local flea market near where I live you can buy 100 card lots of different pre-war "re-prints". what do you suppose somene would do with 100 M101-4 Ruth cards....hmmmm. It's pathetic really, but check out the "guys/girls who are selling these reprints on Ebay. It's pretty obvious that it's their job....their source of inncome most likely.
It really is hard to believe that Ebay has degenerated into what it is in the sportscards area.

Last edited by T206DK; 04-14-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default another fine example

Replica/Reprint

1933 Goudey #181 GEORGE HERMAN "BABE" RUTH Rookie Card

Made with the same material as an original...
Even sized and weathered in age like an original.....
It is a replica. I am told I must list this as such.

Got "them" (Yes I have the other up for auction) from an Estate Sale!

Item is shipped 1st Class Mail in a bubble mailer with tracking number within the U.S.

Flat rate Priority mail with tracking # worldwide!

Any Questions please email me at:

Rookies_and_Stars@comcast.net

We have a huge selection of sports card and Yu-Gi-Oh singles.

this came from a current Ebay auction. note the tags " Estate Sale", and " I must list this as a reprint".
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Jim D

he does have quite a variety of old cards listed..... im not a fake card expert... the honus wagner looks interesting

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
It really is hard to believe that Ebay has degenerated into what it is in the sportscards area.
Almost on a par with Craigslist
Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Tom Boblitt

Sadly, it's probably the best and worst place to find cards.......at the same time!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 AM
Edward F.

Is this where the industry has gone?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:04 AM

I dont see the problem. People can spend their cash anyway they want. If they are buying the card on ebay thats stated as a reprint because they believe (want to believe) it might be the real deal, then hows that any different from the guy who blows $200/week on the lotto?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I look at it as being similar to the old snake oil salesmen. these guys are hucksters at best. they only hope that unsuspecting collectors , newbies into the hobby, or desperate speculators will buy their crap. then they move on to the next or newets screen name to do it all over again. What about the people that really do inherit collections from their Granddad's or fathers ? It actually makes it harder for them to sell I bet. Seller RAWOYSTERMAN only needs a few people a week to buy his homemade printout cards, then he cam pay his bills and be fine. What irks me is months or years later his cards start being re-sold as real and authentic by the dupes that bought them in the first place. I have no sympathy for a person who spends hundreds or more on a card that he thinks just might be real. I just don't think Ebay should give the sheisters a platform from which to sell.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Paul

Default i have said this before...

...and I will say it again...

People who spend $150 on a Honus Wagner reprint deserve to be parted from their money without the protection of ebay or anyone else.

Keep in mind that these people really think that they "outsmarted" everyone else because they found a "deal" on ebay that no one else was in tune to. I have absolutely no sympathy for such idiots -- precisely because they think that the rest of us were idiots for not bidding.

My only issue with these "genius" bidders is that they also vote in the same general elections that I vote in.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

it's a problem when you care. well i care because the people that spend outrageous prices are not savvy collectors. chicago, would you spend 500 for a reprint doyle? answer, no! i'm thankful for the people who helped me as a newbie to the hobbie some years ago. their advice help me to stay away from fake cards. by the way, the seller got bad feedback from a buyer that did not read the description. sometimes it does help too read a little instead of just LOOKING at a picture. that's all folks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
I dont see the problem. People can spend their cash anyway they want. If they are buying the card on ebay thats stated as a reprint because they believe (want to believe) it might be the real deal, then hows that any different from the guy who blows $200/week on the lotto?

Last edited by lharri3600; 04-15-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Larry, I dont like seeing people ripped off anymore than you do. But "T206Collector" has a very valid point. The people who are paying $50, $100, and more for this garbage are not doing so because they are naive to the hobby, but rather they are naive to life. You simply cannot protect stupid people from themselves.

I DO care about sellers who sell known counterfeits as genuine cards however. Theres a big difference there! But all the links you gave, the seller actually lists the card as a REPRINT. I have no sympathy for anyone who bids on them thinking they are anything other than that.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

you are so right my friend. if it states reprint and they pay,then shame on them
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Paul

Default I take it one step further...

...people who bid on T206 Honus Wagner cards on ebay, even though they do not state reprint on them anywhere and the seller is being really persuasive about finding the card in his attic, still deserve what they get when they think they were so fortunate to get an authentic Wagner for a couple hundred dollars.

In this context, where fraud is actually being perpetrated, I agree that ebay should be more vigilant. And that the seller is being a criminal. But the buyer is not a sympathetic figure to me.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Todd C

If it states REPRINT and someone is willing to buy it. But the buyer was warned.

The buyer maybe wants to a card to show off to their friends as the real thing without spending the dollars on the real piece of history.

Future of reprints ? real Tobacco stains or tobacco smells into the cards.
Scratch-N-Sniff ?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
It used to be possible to report such listings as an "authenticity disclaimer" violation. I gave up reporting when Ebay stopped acting on such reports.
Well just for the heck of it I reported thirteen running auctions a couple hours ago with the I AM LISTING THIS CARD AS A Unknown if real or reprint CARD DO TOO I DON?T KNOW IF IT IS OR NOT SO PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY! in the description and all thirteen auctions have been removed.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default today....maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfvader View Post
Well just for the heck of it I reported thirteen running auctions a couple hours ago with the I AM LISTING THIS CARD AS A Unknown if real or reprint CARD DO TOO I DON?T KNOW IF IT IS OR NOT SO PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY! in the description and all thirteen auctions have been removed.
My last several reports of fake cards, that I was absolulely sure of, went unnoticed and weren't acted on. I quit reporting them....AND I was supposed to be on their special collectibles list for reporting items.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
AND I was supposed to be on their special collectibles list for reporting items.
I believe I know what your talking about as they instruct people in the program to not discuss it with others or on public sites.

And I can say it is extremely hit or miss when it comes to reporting. I've seen one particular modern era card where multiple sellers are listing the counterfeit and you can report say ten and out of that they pull two or three when they are all the same counterfeit.

It's frustrating and in the end really doesn't matter as they will get re-listed again and again.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default good job !

nice job Leon, I am glad someone at Ebay wasn't too busy playing fooseball or Xbox360 and actually paid attention to your reports
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
nice job Leon, I am glad someone at Ebay wasn't too busy playing fooseball or Xbox360 and actually paid attention to your reports
I told them and they still didn't do anything. I guess they were too busy playing foosball (we have a Tornado in our game room) or playing Xbox360....(my little girl has Nintendo, I don't do games) to take the item I reported down. Back to playing foosball .
Attached Images
File Type: gif cyclonead2.gif (12.0 KB, 63 views)