NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2002, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Default and...another Grading Company

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Who are these guys? IKON...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1865706482

Never seen them before.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Thats a nice picture of Christy batting,he looks a little different in the pic tho? $5 buy it now,wonder how much it cost to get it graded,including shipping if they sent it out and if this guy actually paid for it to get graded i cant imagine him being much of a business man,especially if you look at his sellers list which includes a ton of high grade low BIN cards

Old 10-04-2002, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

that this individual is selling a ton of "IKON Grading Service" cards, yet these folks (IKON) are nowhere to be found on the Net (I couldn't find them via Google).

Hey....maybe this is a scam....using eBay as an outlet to unload crap....naw, can't be!

Maybe I'll email the seller to find out exactly how one submits a card to IKON....more later!

Old 10-04-2002, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

also note that IKON sounds a lot like "i con" coincidence?

we should all write him and tell him we would like more info on the IKON company,see if the address is the same as his or close to it

Old 10-04-2002, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

so I email this seller through eBay's "ask the seller a question" option and I get a message back telling me the seller is currently having email problems. Giving him the benefit of the doubt (nice feedback and thinking maybe the problem is with eBay's servers), I emailed the seller the old fashion way....more later.

PS - In looking at the sellers previous auctions, a company called I.G.S. was also used to grade. Other than the International Gem Society (not kidding!) anyone ever hear of them????

Old 10-04-2002, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...IKON cannot be found. His e-mail "doesn't work"...
And the acronym of "I'll get scr**ed" is I.G.S.

Hmmmmmm....the implications become more than coincidental...and, you did bring up a great point: $5 BIN for a card and slabbing that (after slabbing costs and shipping fees per card) is usually at least $10/card, or thereabouts. What is the purpose here? It's a loser at the bottom line for the seller...

Also, "vintagesportspro" is really increasing the amount of AAA graded garbage he's releasing on eBay. He must be an uncle of huff-roy, mediumrareRubbish and libertyforNobody. (some of his shat is actually selling, too, what a shame...)

Old 10-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But you will occasionally see legitimate sellers willing to list graded cards below what you believe was their cost. I have done it myself. Usually it is one of a few reasons:

1. I am trying to get some "action" on the card and am willing to bet that if people can be drawn to a low bid to open, they will run the card a bit. Most of the time this works, occasionally I get stuck handing out a bargain;

2. I bought a card for resale that I though would grade out nicely, got a crappy grade from SGC, and am simply trying to unload my disappointment and recoup what I can;

3. I decided to try to blow the item out on ebay rather than sell it to another dealer at a discount; as long as I am going to take a hit, I might at least try to retail it in the hope that someone would see it and run it up a little; or

4. I got the card graded via a freebie or make-good grade. At one point, PSA gave out a free grade for each card it did not grade on time. I had around 100 cards graded late and forced PSA to grant me a credit for every last one of them. Some of the cards I had graded were really nice looking but lower priced cards. My effective cost of grading those cards was around a buck each (for postage). I still have some and when I sell them, I can afford to sell them at or below the grading price since they were graded for almost nothing and may have been pack pulls or items received in lots that I have already gotten my investment out of. BTW, other services will issue a make-good to you if they mess up and you piss and moan enough about it.

Old 10-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

Dealers also will send in huge lots of cards and take losses on the "8's" because they make enough of a profit on the "10's" to allow them to give away the "8's"