NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Lionel Carter And What Does It Take To Get PSA to Put Your Name With the Card

Posted By: peter chao

Don't you love it when the PSA or SGC card says it's from the Lionel Carter Collection? Do you have to pay an extra fee when you submit the card for grading. Or perhaps all you need to do is submit a large no. of cards? Do people have any insight on how it's done?

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default Lionel Carter And What Does It Take To Get PSA to Put Your Name With the Card

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have no problem with them putting on the name of the hobby pioneers like Nagy and Carter...I am a little bit uneven about putting on a name like 'Skydash collection',but at least there is a story behind the collection. I am totally put off by someone that is completely anonymous like "Mr. X" who probably put his collection together through ebay.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

"What Does It Take To Get PSA to Put Your Name With the Card?"

One heck of a collection.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bamacollection

Maybe having some proof of actually being a collector?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

"Maybe having some proof of actually being a collector?"
================================================== =================================================

Wouldn't submitting a load of cards suggest that they may be a collector? Please clarify your statement.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

PSA will do this for just about anyone...

Here is the wording from their website...

"Pedigree Service
A service that will allow collectors to personalize their labels. For example, the “John Doe Collection” may appear on the PSA label. This will be offered on a case by case basis, reserved for “special” packs that must meet certain high-end or rare criteria. Pedigree requests must be pre-approved prior to submission. Final approval is at PSA’s sole discretion. Please contact Customer Service for details and instructions."

Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I can not wait to see/purchase my first card from "The Peter Chao Collection."

Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

----->I can not wait to see/purchase my first card from "The Peter Chao Collection."

thats the funniest thing i've seen on here all day

Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

No offense but I thought "Skydash collection" went too far. 10 years from now those words on the flip will be meaningless. It makes sense if at all only in the case of a hobby pioneer.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Guys,

It isn't a good idea to use the scanner while I'm at work. I'm buying my new scanner this weekend, so pretty soon guys.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B D

cards worth $43 or less.

BcD

Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

How about PSA limits it to their HOF collectors only.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

The Skydash pedigree is a close one. While it has nothing to do with a hobby pioneer, it does denotes an unprecedented find of these tin tops, thus giving each card an extra degree of assurance that it is real and unaltered. Or to put it another way, I would have a lot less concerns about buying a slabbed tin top with the skydash pedigree than one that simply turns up with no provenance.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

See the way he walks down the street
Watch the way he shuffles his feet
My, he holds his head up high
When he goes walking by
He's my guy

When he holds my hand I'm so proud
'Cause he's not just one of the crowd
My baby, oh he's the one
To try the things they've never done
Just because of that they say

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
He's a rebel and he'll never ever be understood
And just because he doesn't do what everybody else does
That's no reason why I can't give him all my love
He is always good to me, always treats me tenderly
'Cause he's not a rebel, no no no
He's not a rebel, no no no, to me

Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

How's it going Jeff L., you aren't going to jump on me again are you? It's Christmas, have you completed all your shopping?

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Rebel Without a Cause. Just laughing with you, peter c.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Peter S.,

You haven't been posting much. Have you been busy tying up loose ends before Christmas?

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Provenance is an important factor with collectibles in many fields, coins being an area where it is quite prominent. Likewise, paintings are usually sold with a trail that can go back a century or more.

I mostly agree with Corey that having a provenance gives you peace of mind. But I wouldn't need the Skydash label on an SGC graded card because I feel they get the grade and authenticity right. I like the idea of always being able to trace a Tin Top to this famous find, but have no less faith buying it if it were just a regular SGC label.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with Corey on this one. I would prefer to buy a high grade Tin Top if I knew it came from the Skydash collection. Provenance of high grade pre-war cards is very good, imo. That is one reason I didn't hesitate to buy the high grade D304's last year. They had great provenance...AND were in SGC holdrers . I DON'T think that if I ever sell my collection it would make an iota of difference if my name were on the flip. Hobby pioneers, on the other hand, should go on the flip, if they want to be. I think grading companies should be a little picky about it though. The Mr.X thing was crazy, imo...and a grading company should not put that kind of designation on a holder. It means nothing....regards

Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

What's amazing to me is that we've been able to figure out that Iran halted its nuclear program in 2003 but not the identity of Mr. X?

Old 12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jeff, one of those things we care about, the other???? Not so much.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

I collect Frank Nagy & Lionel Carter cards and like the
provenance on the flip. These were pioneers who collected
before cards had "value" and before they were mainstream.
Carter's cards were kept in scrap book albums w/ stamp mounts
as the innovation of plastic card sheets & top loads were
decades away.
Not sure what Carter & Nagy would have thought about slabbed
cards when they were collecting so its ironic that so many are
slabbed w/ their names on it.
Have about 50 different, here are a few.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Mr X is probably some low end comedian, like Tom Arnold or Pauly Shore. That's why they didn't want us to know.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

jay- great looking cards!

hope you are well...talk soon.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Do Nagy and Carter cards command a premium over similarly graded cards?

Old 12-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I can not wait to see/purchase my first card from "The Peter Chao Collection."

You will get a cogent thought from Peter C before you ever see a card he actually owns.

Don't quite understand why it is not a good idea to use the scanner at work, Peter C. Is it because the scanner is not able to create scans without having the material to scan? I can understand how difficult that might be. Try buying a card first and then scanning it. It matters what order you attempt to do these things.

Greg

Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

"Do Nagy and Carter cards command a premium over similarly graded cards?"

Howard - I've got all of mine in line of the value of the cards themselves.
So to me the pedigree is just a bonus. Some sellers may try to get a tad
more because of the provenance like 10-20% more.
Now a Peter Chao pedigreed card, I'd pay a premium for that

Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

A Pedigree tracked to certain collections are also special for historical significance to the hobby itself...in addition to bringing siginifcant value...in coin collecting having one from the Eliasberg collection denotes that it was once part of the finest complete collection of US coins...the Mile High comic collection was part of one of the greatest finds of pristine comics ever..

Ricky Y

Old 12-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I think a Nagy, Carter, or any card with a pedigree will sell for a premium if it is a great rarity or in superb condition.

But a card that is otherwise readily available may sell for the same or a tiny bit more.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I was reading some early 70's baseball digests over Thanksgiving, and in a letter to the editor, Lionel Carter was mentioned, for a letter he wrote correcting the article.

I should get that Baseball Digest slabbed - "Lionel Carter" collection.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Ricky- the Eliasberg Collection was truly extraordinary, possibly along with the Garrett Collection one of the two greatest American coin collections ever assembled.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

had tons of super rare and low pop material. His stuff was worthy of pedigree.
Peter's psa 3 1962 Topps common (MC)/(OC)with multiple qualifiers will not qualify to be note worthy.

BcD

Old 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Brian,

That is not his card. He stole the scan.

Greg

Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

but he owns the scan now....

edited to clarify

Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

my one and only-

Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

is a 10 pointer!

But peter's rebuttals could make an attorney look bad! hee hee

BcD