NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Default 100 of the greatest, boneheaded blunders ever made coming up, watch for it!

HOS (haulsofshame) has leaked that they are preparing the 100 greatest blunders and mistakes ever made by TPA's. Look for it. It will be blockbuster. It will be the page collectors can go to forever to look at the documented non-expertise by the ones who claim to be worlds experts. It will be THE public record of the malaise, malfeasance and malpractice of all the greatest so called authenticators. I can't wait.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
HOS (haulsofshame) has leaked that they are preparing the 100 greatest blunders and mistakes ever made by TPA's. Look for it. It will be blockbuster. It will be the page collectors can go to forever to look at the documented non-expertise by the ones who claim to be worlds experts. It will be THE public record of the malaise, malfeasance and malpractice of all the greatest so called authenticators. I can't wait.
I wonder if the Cooperstown Forger ever got anything past the "greatest so called authenticators?"
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

the tpa's don't discriminate on the source,

oh wait, yes, they do.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Christopher Williams

If I sent Peter Nash just a few of Todd Mueller's "blunders," do you think he will post them?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

todd mueller is not a third party authenticator. show me where nash posts blunders of individual non third party authenticators?

the list of 100 will astound I am told. Incredible to have so much non - expertise exposed on one article. People will bookmark it for years. Incredible reference tool and it is free.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
the tpa's don't discriminate on the source,

oh wait, yes, they do.
I have seen plenty of proof of the TPAs' ineptitude, but I have yet to see proof of this discrimination.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I have seen plenty of proof of the TPAs' ineptitude, but I have yet to see proof of this discrimination.
really, you didnt see jsa approve several items then issue letters of rejection for those same good items just because they had a morales sticker on them? that isnt looking at the autograph, it is looking at the source. where have you been?

of course they go by the source.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
really, you didnt see jsa approve several items then issue letters of rejection for those same good items just because they had a morales sticker on them? that isnt looking at the autograph, it is looking at the source. where have you been?

I would do the same thing if I were issuing opinions of authenticity. One needs to consider every aspect of an auto when judging authenticity. To that effect, if someone posted an auto asking for opinions, and I were to say that it looked legit to me, I would change my opinion real fast if it were revealed that the auto in question was currently up for sale in a CC auction. If the TPAs did the same thing, which I vaguely recall, I actually applaud them for such. I know you will disagree.

What I'd be interested in is evidence that TPAs change opinions based solely on who's submitting the autos (meaning they thought it was bad until it was submitted by regular customer X). That would constitute fraud in my eyes, not just the run of the mill incompetence that is on display regularly.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
I would do the same thing if I were issuing opinions of authenticity. One needs to consider every aspect of an auto when judging authenticity. To that effect, if someone posted an auto asking for opinions, and I were to say that it looked legit to me, I would change my opinion real fast if it were revealed that the auto in question was currently up for sale in a CC auction. If the TPAs did the same thing, which I vaguely recall, I actually applaud them for such. I know you will disagree.

What I'd be interested in is evidence that TPAs change opinions based solely on who's submitting the autos (meaning they thought it was bad until it was submitted by regular customer X). That would constitute fraud in my eyes, not just the run of the mill incompetence that is on display regularly.
if the TPAs are actually able to authenticate autos, it really shouldn't matter the source.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
if the TPAs are actually able to authenticate autos, it really shouldn't matter the source.
If anybody were perfect, I would agree. However, given how good forgers can be, along with the premises that I'd rather reject a few good autos than let a few bad ones pass and that certain authenticators and auction houses exist to peddle fakes, I would consider the source very carefully. Some sources would force my decision immediately (just as they currently do from my position as buyer and collector).

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 07-08-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
that's exactly right, and it makes the whole JSA deal all the more suspicious.

if they are going on provenance or who else stickered it, then they werent looking at the autograph. how is that not fraud? I don;t know.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:

Travis... Instead of hedging, why don't you tell us if you think that Morales is a good authenticator? Plain and simple, no misdirection...just answer the question.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
that's exactly right, and it makes the whole JSA deal all the more suspicious.

if they are going on provenance or who else stickered it, then they werent looking at the autograph. how is that not fraud? I don;t know.
So it seems you are saying provenance isn't important and shouldn't be considered? I will disagree. It is not solely the auto itself that is important.

Again, I think every auto in my collection is authentic, but if I find that one of them came through CC, I will change my mind very quickly. It will become likely not genuine.

I don't think it's fraud to change opinion based on provenance.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Travis... Instead of hedging, why don't you tell us if you think that Morales is a good authenticator? Plain and simple, no misdirection...just answer the question.
The issue isnt whether or not morales is authenticating poorly, correctly, incorrectly or maliciously, the issue is that jsa do what they say they do on their loa's which is to compare the autographs to the exemplars. when they stop doing that, whether they think they have a good reason to or not, they are doing something else other than autograph authentication. Autograph authentication requires impartiality or else you end up with what happened to jsa.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
So it seems you are saying provenance isn't important and shouldn't be considered? I will disagree. It is not solely the auto itself that is important.

Again, I think every auto in my collection is authentic, but if I find that one of them came through CC, I will change my mind very quickly. It will become likely not genuine.

I don't think it's fraud to change opinion based on provenance.

They didnt change their opinion on the autograph, they changed their authentication based on the source, which is the entire argument made by many people. if you are friends with the authenticator, your items have a better chance of passing, and if you aren't, they don;t. How is that autograph authentication.

The tom sayers autograph at heritage had no exemplars, but got the coa, Why? probably because both authentication companies believed it to be real based on the provenance. that is not autograph authentication, it is something else.

provenance can be faked, and in many instances, faked quite convincingly. you authenticate based on provenance at your own risk.

No where on the coa's of either jsa or psa, does it say that the autograph is deemed authentic based on provenance factors. if they use provenance, they should put it on the coa. plain and simple. but they don't. they say they use exemplars and factor in slant, speed, pen pressure, etc.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
They didnt change their opinion on the autograph, they changed their authentication based on the source, which is the entire argument made by many people. if you are friends with the authenticator, your items have a better chance of passing, and if you aren't, they don;t. How is that autograph authentication.

The tom sayers autograph at heritage had no exemplars, but got the coa, Why? probably because both authentication companies believed it to be real based on the provenance. that is not autograph authentication, it is something else.

provenance can be faked, and in many instances, faked quite convincingly. you authenticate based on provenance at your own risk.

No where on the coa's of either jsa or psa, does it say that the autograph is deemed authentic based on provenance factors. if they use provenance, they should put it on the coa. plain and simple. but they don't. they say they use exemplars and factor in slant, speed, pen pressure, etc.
You are absolutely right on this last point. If they are using provenance, they should say so in their letters. I haven't read one of their letters in a long time and don't really care much what they say (as they are never specific anyway; marketing works better that way).

And they should use provenance, which includes deeming anything with a Morales cert as being likely not genuine. That is my thought when I see a morales cert, and I won't waste time on the auto itself. My opinion is that it is likely fake, and I guess JSA has that opinion as well (don't forget that it's just an opinion, and you and anyone else can use different methods for forming your own opinions [recommended]).

This is also quite different than being buddies with someone or not, and I have not seen anything pointing to different opinions based on who actually SUBMITTED an item. I would be interested to see some.