NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Even if there was a strict rule that these types of posts have to be put in the watercooler section, nobody would put them there anyway. People generally don't like to follow rules. At least it was a significant achievement by Santana.
Depending on the situation, the "move thread" feature is alive and well for moderators. I use it when appropriate (imo). Overriding some of the technical board rules is my hope to keep this place interesting, relevant and current. Of course everyone won't be happy but it's quite impossible to make everyone happy. I could give a rat's patoot about current MLB but I realize I am in the vast minority. Our board and it's members comes first....
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

A few rules here and there are good...too many rules not so good (I'm now gratuitously posting so I can hit my 5000 mark)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoaepi View Post
We always use e tickets for games and keep the season tix pristine.
I actually "use" my hard tickets but when I go to a game they're in a top loader so I don't have to worry about condition - they scan just as well in the holder as if they were "raw."

I wonder if those with access to "print at home" tickets can print them out after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
From a collecting standpoint, you guys might like to know that in an Ebay auction that ended at 10.18pm last night, one season ticket from the game, described as "mint unused," sold for $178.59 (Ebay item number 221039772073; 21 bids from 10 bidders).
As reported by mcgwirecom (Randall Hahn) in the "Teams negotiate to get back homerun balls" thread, somebody actually paid $499.99 for one (Ebay item number 180897612084, auction ended 6/2/12 at 07:00:04 PDT via "Buy It Now": link)! I'm sure this was an extreme example, caused by hysteria/enthusiasm/emotion, since the purchase was made maybe 12 hours or so after the final out, but still, the fact is that someone did pay $500 for a ticket (presuming the buyer doesn't try to back out of the deal).

Anyway, for the record - and for the benefit of those don't have a spare $500 lying around the house (as well as for the benefit of those who do have a spare $500 lying around the house but can think of more 'substantial' memorabilia to spend it on) - I've attached a scan of one of my tickets from the game.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoaepi View Post
Geez. For a bunch of guys that wax poetic about the glory days of baseball when there was no replay and pitchers finished their games regardless of pitch counts, you sure bring out the torches quickly. How many other no hitters and other accomplishments wouldn't count if we had the technology and scrutiny we have now? Don't think any of Ruth's home runs could have been on the wrong side of the foul pole? Don't think WaJo or Matty ever benefitted from a call? C'mon. The reason we love this game is because it is human and subject to interpretation and wouldn't work if it was any other way.
Couldn't agree more
For those who say it isn't a real no hitter, I believe you couldn't be more wrong.
I don't see anyone taking away the Royals championship in 1985 because of a bad call.

If anyone thinks there weren't controversial calls before TV than their just fooling themselves. Now add slow mo instant replay from many camara angles.

I'll go as far as to say that the umpires of today are better then any previous generation.

Congratulations to all Met fans. Gooden, Cone, Ryan, Seaver all pitched no no's after leaving the Mets. Now they have of their own.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Interesting that Bob Ojeda's on the ticket.. As an Indians fan, I generally remember him for one thing..

Can anyone else spot the "unfortunate" choice of words on Bob's Wikipedia page...

"Ojeda is best remembered as an anchor in the 1986 World Series Champion New York Mets starting rotation, and for being the lone survivor of a March 22, 1993 boating accident that killed fellow Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews"
Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Barry Sloate

Anchor?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Press Release: Mets to sell tickets from Johan Santana's no-hitter

06/07/2012 3:05 PM EST

Mets to sell tickets from Johan Santana's no-hitter

Fans Can Purchase Tickets From the Historic Game for $50 Each;
Season Ticket Holders to Receive Complimentary Reprints,
40-Game, 20-Game, 15-Game, and 6-Game Plan & Pack Holders to Receive Discounts;
No-Hitter Ticket Offer Starts This Monday, June 11 at 10:00 a.m. on Mets.com

The New York Mets today announced tickets from Johan Santana's no-hitter, the first in franchise history, will be reprinted for fans wishing to secure a pristine keepsake from the historic game. Fans can purchase tickets reprinted on Season Ticket Holder stock for $50 each, plus order and shipping fees. The tickets will be available starting Monday, June 11 at 10:00 a.m. on Mets.com.

Mets Season Ticket Holders will receive complimentary reprints of every seat in their account. An order and shipping fee will apply.

Mets 40-Game, 20-Game, 15-Game and 6-Game Plan and Pack Holders whose packages included the June 1 game will receive a discounted rate of $30 per ticket, plus per ticket and shipping fees.

Plan and Pack Holders whose packages didn't include last Friday's game, will be able to purchase reprints for $40 per ticket, plus per ticket and shipping fees, through an exclusive pre-sale on Mets.com starting tomorrow, Friday, June 8.

The Mets will reprint all 41,922 seats at Citi Field. There is a limit of four seats per order. Fans can select a seating category and receive the best available seat in that location.

Visit Mets.com for more information or call the Mets Ticket Office at (718) 507-TIXX.
Source: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...r_nym&c_id=nym
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Barry Sloate

Incredibly tacky, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. Anything that squeezes out a few more dollars....
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

As a season ticket holder, I'll be getting reprinted tickets for free. However, in response to an e-mail inquiry I sent this morning asking how the reprints will be identified as such, my season ticket representative responded:
To my knowledge I do not believe there is any indication that they were reprinted and there is no difference from the originals.
Bad news, if this is true... especially for those who've already forked over as much as $500 in a couple of instances for tickets on the collectors' market. And the funny thing is that it will make the box office style tickets more valuable...

(image taken from Ebay)

...because they're not being reprinted. At least not in this format - the Mets intend to make every seat available, so if someone winds up getting a reprinted ticket for section 520, row 1, seat 9, it will be on "Season Ticket Holder" stock, which I presume to mean the design used on the season tickets, so the reprint of section 520, row 1, seat 9 will look like this...

...and will thus be distinguishable as a reprint.