NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Paul Carek

Default 1940 Play Ball... colorized?

Happened to see this on the VCP site. Anyone know what the deal is with this "set?"

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/set...lue-Prices.htm
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Just a modern reprint set of what the 40 set would have hypothetically looked like if it had color ala '41
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Actually, these are not modern...if you search the archives here, you might find more info.

Joshua
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default colorized 1940 Play Ball

have a read....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...colorized+1940

Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Chris Counts

I've been looking for an excuse to resurrect this thread. I've been interested in learning more about these cards since picking up seven of them in a bargain bin at a card show a few years back. For a variety of reasons, these cards seem have never been completely accepted as legit, but that hasn't stopped a number of advanced collectors from believing they're real.

I went through quite an ordeal to get one graded. After being told by GAI that they couldn't grade the cards because "they are too controversial," I approached SGC and was told by several folks there that they "couldn't grade anymore," in part because of the opinion of one particularly prominent individual in the hobby (I've never met Levi, but I would very much like to hear his opinion here). In response, I said, "I'm convinced the color on this Frank Demaree card was part of the printing process. Take this card back to your lab in New Jersey, dip it in chemicals, and destroy it if you have to. I'm willing to risk this card to prove the others are real." About a month later, the card arrived back in an SGC 60 (PSA 5) holder.

For those who believe the color was added after the cards were printed, I have an observation I've yet to see debunked. Check out the blue on Demaree's sock. In my opinion, it would be impossible for an artist to color the socks with such precise accuracy unless he or she was working on an 8x10 photo. The sock on a 2-inch-by-3-inch slab of cardboard is simply too small to color with such precision.

Now if the color added was done more recently with high tech equipment (I have no idea actually how it could be done), why did these end up in a bargain bin for $5 each. What would be the motivation to do this much work just so someone else could make a profit?

One final note: some cards have red on them and it's sloppier than the other colors. I've wondered if the red was added after the printing process ...

To my knowledge, the following "colorized" cards have been cataloged: Mel Ott, Carl Hubbell, Daffy Dean, Burgess Whitehead, Harry Gumbert, Pete Coscaret, Buddy Hassett, Casey Stengel, Frank McCormick, Whitey Moore, Lonny Frey, Babe Phelps and Demaree. I've seen all but the Gumbert and Whitehead. I'm not aware of any duplicates that exist, and all are National Leaguers. They don't appear to come from the same series.

I noticed the photos from the old thread are gone, so I'm reposting them here ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40demaree3.jpg (70.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg demaree2.jpg (72.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg demaree.jpg (43.0 KB, 247 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Chris Counts

Here's the Lonny Frey, which has red added to it. On several of the cards, the red looks sloppy like '49 Leafs or Bowmans, although this one doesn't look too bad ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40pbfrey.jpg (60.9 KB, 245 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Paul Carek

Very interesting. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Richard Cline

Chris,

I remember you posting a picture of either the Frey or McCormick a while back and thinking..."Now that's cool!". Have yet to see any in person.

RC
Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Here's the Stengel. I didn't realize that anyone had any doubts about their authenticity. They certainly don't look home made in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stengel.JPG (31.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Chris Counts

That's a beauty, Paul. I used to own that one. A prominent dealer told me he once owned it as well, but sold it for a song after convincing himself the color was added. He later changed his mind and regretted letting go of it. Yes, these cards are controversial. If there wasn't any controversy, they'd all be graded and they'd likely sell for more than any of them have. Yet both PSA and SGC have graded a couple each. And privately, a number of respected dealers and collectors have told me they believe they're legit ...
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Chris Counts

Richard, here's another member of the World Champion 1940 Reds who has a colorized Play Ball, Bill McKechnie. Remarkably, my brother found this card on eBay a couple years after my find. What are the odds that two brothers — completely independent of each other — would each find at least one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mckechnie2.jpg (69.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg pb40_mckechnie_600dpi.jpg (74.4 KB, 86 views)