NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default Definitive Dating of Some Allen & Ginter Cards Including N28 & N29

It is possible to date many of the early A&G card sets through study of album redemption coupons together with excerpts from a rare surviving copy of an old weekly Tobacco Journal (May 1889 to May 1890). The Tobacco Journal entries help establish a typical sequence of events for each new card issue including an advertising banner at point of sale to entice smokers into buying their smokes. In addition to the card inserts, the cigarette packs would include a redemption coupon with details of the upcoming album of the same subject matter. These redemption coupon details sometimes included the album’s release date which was often a month or two after the cards were introduced to allow the smoker time to save up.

I will be sharing redemption coupons from my collection and several Tobacco Journal entries that support the dates assigned to the sets found below. The listed card sets fall short of covering all the A&G sets issued over 1888, 1889, and 1890 but instead represents only the sets for which evidence was found to support the assigned dates. The evidence for these dates will then follow.

Observations/Comments
  • There was no one busier than A&G during the late 1880s in creating, promoting, and pushing out new card sets. The above named sets may not even account for half the sets they would issue over 3 year period leading up to ATC merger.
  • There is a lot of overlap amongst the sets with A&G’s most popular brands, Richmond Straight Cut No 1 and Virginia Brights, distributing all the cards referenced here as evidenced by their banners. Lesser brands would also carry cards.
  • The ability to date the N28 and N29 sets only became possible through two recent discoveries. The date assigned to N28 cards is based on a "new to the hobby" redemption coupon for the World’s Champions album (A16). The Tobacco Journal was another recent discovery which includes an interesting entry for our beloved N29 cards.
  • It appears that N29 (Series 2 of Champions of the World) may have came about after seeing the popularity of N28. The other card sets to enjoy more than a single series (“Flags of All Nations” and “World’s Beauties”) seemed planned in advance with seamless transition from one to the next. The popularity of N28 may have kicked off desire for a 2nd series at a later date.
  • American Indian Chiefs cards (N2), the banner, and album were very popular. Will post more of the entries for this card set if there is interest.
  • The larger format cards (e.g. N43), distributed in 20 count packs, became common in 1889.
  • There were far fewer sets issued after the merger. The N25 cards (Wild Animals of the World) were likely planned before the merger and were not canceled. These post-ATC merger cards would also be found in packs of Goodwin’s cigarettes.

For those interested in the details . . . here is a quick study on the known A&G redemption coupons.

Please let me know if you are aware of any I’m missing, I enjoy collecting and studying these coupons for the story they help convey. The album availability dates were printed on the early coupons as follows:

A8 (March 1st, 1888) Flags of All Nations (features N9, N10, & N11 cards)
A14 (June 1st, 1888) World’s Beauties – 1st Series (features N26 cards)
A15 (July 1st, 1888) World’s Beauties – 2nd Series (features N27 cards)
A18 (August 1st, 1888) World’s Racers (features N32 cards)
A12 (Sept. 1st, 1888) Racing Colors of the World (features N22 cards)
A5 (Sept. 1st, 1888) City Flags (features N6 cards)
A16 (Nov. 1st, 1888) World’s Champions (features N28 cards)

The list of coupons continue below minus the album dates as this was no longer included. However, a quick study allows them to be sorted and placed in proper chronological order as follows.

A3 – Birds of America (features N4 / N37 cards)
A2 – American Indian Chiefs (features N2 / N36 cards)
A20 – George Washington (no cards featured)
A9 – Game Birds of America (features N13 / N40 cards)
A17 – World’s Champions – 2nd Series (features N29 / N43 cards)
A4 – Birds of the Tropics (features N5 / N38 cards)
A7 – Fish from American Waters (features N8 cards)
A22 – Our Navy (no cards featured)

I will finish by sharing several entries from an old 19th century Tobacco Journal that helped date more of the card sets.

May 10th, 1889, page 6 – Allen & Ginter’s American Indian Chiefs Banner (G1)

June 21st, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter’s Fans of the Period Banner (G6) and Cards (N7)

July 5th, 1889, page 7 – Allen & Ginter’s American Indian Chiefs Album (A2)

August 16, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter 2nd Series of the World’s Champions (N29)

September 13th, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter Birds of Tropics Banner (G4) and Cards (N5); Album to Follow (A4)

October 18th, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter’s Fishes of the World Album (A7) and Banner (G7)

November 29th, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter Types of All Nations Banner (G27); Cards (N24) and Albums to Follow

December 27th, 1889, page 5 – Allen & Ginter Sovereigns of the World Banner (G26) and Cards (N34)

March 21st, 1890, page 5 – Allen & Ginter Quadruped Album (A11)

April 18th, 1890, page 5 – Allen & Ginter Wild Animals of the World Banner (G28)

As more coupons are discovered and literature uncovered we may be able to place more sets to this timeline. While not complete I figured this work-in-progress was worth sharing at this time.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default great research as always

would be worth sharing with them silly nonsport guys....
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Mark Macrae

Great info Joe, and more support of the mixed sport sets being issued during overlapping years. The N-28's were clearly very popular and were likely distributed in more markets, including the West Coast where I've found more than a dozen 'original' groupings over the years... They were probably marketed for about 5 or 6 months (Oct 1888-mid-1889) and then the N-29 / N-43 came out in August 1889. I don't think there were as many printed, or perhaps sent to fewer markets. The N-29's have always been tougher, and the N-43 still tougher. I've never found an 'outside the hobby' group of N-43. All that I have purchased were from 'inside the hobby' sources... With continued research we'll probably find the same thing for N-184 Kimball, which were also distributed in the West Coast market...
Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM
David Kathman

Thanks for the great research, Joe. This article from the December 1, 1941 Card Collector's Bulletin, based on notes made by Harry Lillien from the journal Tobacco (which I guess was distinct from "Tobacco Journal"?), is also relevant here. I'm not sure why Lillien's notes include so few issues, but the dates for the A&G sets he found are consistent with your findings. Walter Corson wrote these dates by the relevant entries in his copy of the 1946 American Card Catalog, which I have. I have a nagging feeling that I've seen another early article like this that includes other dates for N card sets, but if so I couldn't find it earlier.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Mike

So it looks like the N29 and N43 series including 6 baseball players were issued in 1889 (late in the season). If so, the cards were designed much earlier and never corrected (Morrell - Morrill) played for Washington in 1889 and Boston in 1888 and Getzin - Getzien ( played for Indy in 1889 and Detroit in 1888). Both spelled wrong and both not team updated.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
would be worth sharing with them silly nonsport guys....
Hello Henry, I was originally going to post this on the Non-Sport Forum but thought twice after seeing the angst against posts that include sports cards, particularly baseball. I am however very interested in any feedback the Non-Sport members might have, especially if they are aware of other sources such as what David shared here.

Mark, interesting info on your finds. If N28 extended into 1889 it may be the longest run for any pre-ATC A&G set which wouldn't surprise me as they are amongst the most plentiful as you pointed out. The album release (which was Nov. 1st '88) typically signaled the end of card distribution but if the set was popular why not extend distribution. Most of A&G sets only lasted a couple months and they would be replaced by the next set, seemingly targeting two sets at any given time (my timeline is incomplete, there are other sets that need to be spliced in).

David, your December 1, 1941 Card Collector's Bulletin is fabulous, thank you for posting. This early work by Harry Lillien utilizes a different source than the Tobacco Journal I studied. Most of the information lines up within days or weeks while others are off a fair bit and I'd like to study further. Looks like I need to plan a visit to NYPL to study Harry's sources (if I cannot access them online). Really cool stuff, I'm going to modify my timeline a bit. Please let me know if you locate another source that dates nineteenth century cards.

Mike, yep, the N29 cards were certainly based on earlier images of Morrill and Getzien. Both the N28 Bennett and N29 Getzien are based on photos taken in 1888 (only year Detroit had striped jersey).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Tom Boblitt

Fantastic work Joe.....I literally played around YESTERDAY with the PSA Pop report for A&G sets and haven't finished with SGC but there are some oddities in the PSA Pop report.....which is probably an understatement.

Your dates and theirs agree on........
N5,N6,N7,N8,N11,N13,N21,N22,N24,N26,N27,N28

You differ on......
N2 (you 1889, them 1888)
N4 (you 1889, them 1888)
N9 (you 1888, them 1887)
N10 (you 1888, them 1890)
N25 (you 1890, them 1888)
N29 (you 1889, them 1888)
N34 (you 1890, them 1889)

The other sets they have dated.....
1886....N16,N17
1887....N1,N3,N35
1888....N15,N18,N19,N20,N31,N33,N36
1889....N14,N34,N38,N39,N42,N43
1890....N23,N30,N37,N40,N44
1891....N12

Not sure what the source of their data is. I know there are ATC pages on dates of issuance for some of the 20th century tobacco sets but not sure if they exist for the 19th century. I have a dozen or so JPG's of those pages for some nonsports and T206 sets.

The PSA census of graded N1-N44 cards is outlined in the picture below.......

Almost exactly 10-1 small to large A&G cards graded by PSA. Not sure what SGC or the combined look will yield but I'd assume something similar. The oversized format cards are super tough which Mark and you already identified. If you assume that submissions are rational, then the small sized cards are 10x more plentiful. As a collector of all the A&G sets, my totals are about 10x small to large as well (1140/133).

Interestingly, looking at the pop reports, on the small-sized A&G's, 5's and 6's are approximately half of the cards graded. For the larger-sized A&G's that census drops a notch to 4's and 5's. Anyone who's graded some can probably attest to the difficulty of the oversized cards.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Tom, interesting data, thank you for sharing. I would be interested in the ratio of small to large cards for only those sets that had large cards. I also suspect a greater percentage of the large cards have been graded as they are a little more valuable. Your 10:1 ratio may become 5:1 and the actual number if we could combine graded + raw might be more like 7:1.

While Preferred Stock No. 1 certainly had a 20 count pack that the large cards were inserted in I'm not sure if the other brands did. Many of the other brands are only known as 10 count slide & shell (small cards). Can you share the results of your study for just N29/N43, and then combine all the sets that were issued in small and large?

Great stuff.

Also, I give zero credit to dating of any sets to third party graders. They simply follow the price guides. Many of these dates were guesses by our hobby pioneer's (Burdick etc.) during the early days of our hobby. They did a remarkable job cataloguing the sets but often fell short on the distribution dates. The only hope to get 3rd party graders to correct the dates would be to first correct the price guides. I know who to work with on the baseball side but don't know which non-sport guide is considered "The Source".

Last edited by Joe_G.; 07-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Tom Boblitt

Your theory on small sets with corresponding big sets was, of course, correct. The number wound up at 3.4 to 1 though on those 10 small sets v. 10 large corresponding sets. You can see below.

The individual sets are interesting though.....there are 8x more N2's graded than N36's which I figured would be lower. On the other hand, there are more N44 World's Decoration large format graded than N30 small format for a ratio of 0.7 to 1; the only one with a sub-1 ratio.

I also did a ranking by total PSA population by issue, so you can see the most popular issues or most graded issues (in all grades total). No surprise but N28 is far and away the winner in that race with N2 a distant second. And then only three other issues with more than 1000 graded for N11, N20 and N29.

Kind of surprised N9 flags aren't a little higher than they were with so many back variants and the Fancy cards and other issues. Also interesting that N11 States were so high and N20 chickens. Guess there are a lot of chicken collectors out there.

Last edited by autograf; 07-02-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:18 AM

Default Newspaper clippings

Hi Joe,

Here's a couple of early newspaper clippings that may help you narrow some dates down (one previously posted that you've seen in another thread).

This first clipping from September 30 1886, seems to be referring to N46 - Cigarette Making Girls (although the clipping states cabinet size), and N48 - Girl Baseball Players.

1886 30 Sept.jpg

The second clipping is earlier, dating from May 22 1882, from the London Standard. The advert is for Our Little Beauties cigarettes and advertises the 'new feature' of having a picture in every packet. I believe this is N57 - Beauties, as this ties in with the text (see the Forbes & Mitchell extract below) that the cards were issued in Great Britain. I did look in World Index 5, page 8, but there are no references to dates on A&G in the World Index, that I can see.

By the reference to 'new feature' in the text, we may be getting close to some of the earliest examples of picture cards in cigarette packets - a whole other topic!

You may also be wondering about the Adelina Patti connection. Adelina Patti, "the Queen of Song" was world renowned as one of the greatest opera singers of all time. She regularly toured America to great popular acclaim, from her base in the UK (she spend many years at Craig-y-nos Castle in Wales). A&G used her in this advert, carefully placed alongside the Covent Garden opera listings, where Patti was singing Il Trovatore and La Favorita. I've added a later card of Adelina Patti from A&G "The World's Beauties" (first series). She appears in a number of cards of this era - perhaps most notably as one of the 25 set of "Leaders' by Kinney, alongside Napoleon, George Washington, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Joan of Arc ….

Standard 1882 closeup.jpg adelina.jpg Standard 1882.jpg N57 - Beauties.jpg
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default GREAT share Tim!

Hoping someone takes on the pursuit of finding more definitive dating information for the earliest cards in our hobby. Someone more alive than dead - a condition that now escapes me.... :-)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great research as always, Joe. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Ottenberg & Bros Cigars Baseball Scorecard

Was doing some research regards this post and came across this.
An interesting method to advertise cigars.
Have you seen one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May1889scorecard.jpg (76.6 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg may1889scorecardinfoA.jpg (54.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg may1889scorecardinfoB.jpg (58.6 KB, 194 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 05:06 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Because of the thread Greg posted I looked for Allen & Ginter in my newspaper clips that I have and I found these.

N9

May 19 1888
Allen & Ginter N9 Chicago_Tribune_Sat__May_19__1888_.jpg

June 2 1888
Allen & Ginter N9 Evening_Bulletin_Sat__Jun_2__1888_.jpg

N31/35

April 12 1889
Allen & Ginter N31-N35 The_Weekly_Republican_Fri__Apr_12__1889_.jpg

I think I may have other Allen & Ginter clippings. I will post them if I do.