NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Default T206 Newbie with a question

I do not plan on collecting the entire set as finances and time will not permit this.

The cards I have been purchasing have been graded 2 or so, in what I consider nice condition. I am only 8 cards into the journey.

I want to treat myself and splurge about 300 to 350 towards a card or cards in the series. This isn't a lot of money to most, but it is to me.

My question is:

Do I look for a low grade, top HoF'r?

Look for a moderate HoF'r and buy a couple of them?

Buy a high grade common, since they are condition sensitive?

Buy what I have been all along, and resign the fact that I will never own any of the previous.

I love the cards from a hobby standpoint and I am also looking this as an investment long term.

Your thoughts and insight are appreciated.

Lou
Old 12-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default T206 Newbie with a question

Hi there and good luck on your journey of t206 collecting...you’ve come to the right place

As far as your question goes...there is no right answer, it’s whatever feels right to you. I’d probably grab a few lower grade hofers because they should only rise in value over time. If you’d like a different back type, grab a hofer and a common with a tougher back of your liking...no wrong answer here imo. Good luck on your decision and hope you enjoy what you buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 12-29-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM

I would buy 1 card. Top Hofers are increasing at a higher rate than mid tier or lower tier Hofers.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I dont even know if you could get a top tier hall of famer in psa 2 or even psa 1 for 300. Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Young, LaJoie portraits (might get a LaJoie non-portrait for 300 though) are not obtainable at that level anymore. Portraits on ebay of decent hall of famers are becoming scarcer and scarcer these days and if they are offered it is often at sky high prices. I'd try something like Chesbro and Bender in a 2 you might be able to get both for 350ish.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-29-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Agreed that a top tier HOFer would be tough for 350 so a couple mid tier HOFers may be a good choice. Pick a couple that you like and will enjoy.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Fred

Remember, this is just cardboard so don't look at it as an investment. These things can go either way in price so if you purchase something don't plan on having the ability to sell it for what you purchased the cards for (or more). If it turns out that way, great, but don't count on that.

That said, why not look for a couple of HOFers. If you're keeping with the theme of a grade of "2", then your definitely not going to find a Cobb and maybe not a Cy Young or Walter Johnson. You might find a Matty or Lajoie. Then there are "lesser" HOFers like Eddie Collins and others that you'll be able to find. Kind of weird to think of a player with over 3300 hits and a .333 lifetime average as "lesser" player, but that's where the market is on him.

If you haven't already checked trends, then I'd recommend you search T206 sales for HOFers on ebay to get an idea of what you can purchase in your price range.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Doug

You can get more cards on a budget by not buying graded cards. I was just checking ebay and there's still plenty of originals in raw form. I never understood grading a card that's less than a 4 anyhow. Since you find the "2" level appealing just buy them raw. More fun to play with too. You will become totally addicted and try for the 520. Just a few years and you'll be there. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your insights.

Lou
Old 12-29-2018, 09:32 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default T206

You may also want to look at a few of the tough variations
Like Dahlen Brooklyn or Lundgren Chicago. You may be able to pick up both in a grade 2 in around your budget.

Good Luck
Regards
John P
Old 12-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Default great advice

far.....see if you can get a few more bucks and get a cobb.....

like ruth, mantle, cobb should retain or appreciate in the future..... plus, they have been on fire

you could even get an AUTH for $700 or $800
Old 12-29-2018, 11:35 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
far.....see if you can get a few more bucks and get a cobb.....

like ruth, mantle, cobb should retain or appreciate in the future..... plus, they have been on fire

you could even get an AUTH for $700 or $800
I am seriously looking at this option.