NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Culver City CA Card Show Is Tomorrow!

Anthony, Jason and I have been working our arses off for this show. I guarantee it will be at least the second greatest show we have ever promoted. Just in case anyone needs the particulars:

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SPORTS COLLECTORS SHOW
Fall Show - Saturday, October 5th, 2013
10am - 5pm

free admission

Veterans Memorial Auditorium
4117 Overland Avenue
Culver City, CA 90230

http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/#/

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Matt Hall

Can't wait! Last year was so much fun.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
D@rek H.ogue

my dad and i are jazzed for tomorrow ... you guys put on a nice show ... thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Looking forward to it- it's going to be a perfect weekend weather wise and they'll be a great selection of pre War at the show- Ted Z is in town and setting up, as is Jay Miller, Mark Macrae and many others. Net 54 founder Elliot Bassin just landed and will be at the show, and Brian Marcy and Marty Pritchard are driving in from Arizona with a truckload of cards.
Hope everyone in the area can stop in and say hi.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Driving out with a lawyer buddy of mine... Will be there around 10!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Ruben

will be there around 11
Old 10-05-2013, 06:06 PM
ErikV

Default Re: Culver City CA Card Show Is Tomorrow!

Just got home from the show. I got to the show a little late (1:30).
If there was an early crowd, it had thinned out by the time I got there.

There was a decent collection of vintage material (saw many tables
with T206 cards), some Old Judge cards and some old postcards and
photos in the mix. I suppose prices were reasonable considering
today's market in the vintage card field.

The best part of the show of course was chatting with fellow Net54
members. I had the pleasure to finally meet TedZ. I also had a
lengthy conversation with Mark M. On my one hour drive home I was
thinking about our hobby and pondered the thought: is our hobby
really about spending money on little pieces of cardboard, or is it
more about the friendships we build and the cardboard is simply the
medium that bridges each of us?

We have a wonderful hobby as card collectors - especially considering
the fine people that make up our hobby.

Looking forward to the next Culver City show!

ErikV
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Al

SO bummed to be missing this show, and so glad to hear it went well again. They don't make 'em better than Anthony, Jason and Adam. I'm looking forward to the spring show.

-Al
Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Awesome show. Lots of vintage. Also glad to have met Mark M. and TedZ. Picked up a couple more HOF's, and made a nice trade with TedZ.

Last edited by rdwyer; 10-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Eventually I will make this show even if only for one day. Sounds like a lot of fun with a lot of guys we all know and love (well, love is kind of a strong word).
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Mark Macrae

Default A great , fun packed time

Congrats to Adam, Anthony & Jason for another successful show. It was a nice steady crowd all day at my table. It was great seeing several dozen familiar faces and meeting a few new collectors as well. Anthony's friend Asher (Sp?) was one of the highlights of the show. A 13 year old collector with a taste for vintage and VERY knowledgeable for his age on vintage baseball and baseball cards. Meeting younger collectors like him is assuring that the hobby's future is in good hands... Picked up a few things, sold a few things, had some great conversations and before you knew it it was 6 PM and time to head out. While my original plans were to drive straight home, I had a wonderful dinner and visit with Ted Z and his daughter Zoe in Santa Monica (which sure beats the Subway in Buttonwillow). Made it home by 4 this morning... Next show I'm going to try and schedule an extra couple days just for visits and hanging. Maybe even a ball game or two. Looking forward to the next show in the spring. Thanks again for a great show.....
Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
Congrats to Adam, Anthony & Jason for another successful show. It was a nice steady crowd all day at my table. It was great seeing several dozen familiar faces and meeting a few new collectors as well. Anthony's friend Asher (Sp?) was one of the highlights of the show. A 13 year old collector with a taste for vintage and VERY knowledgeable for his age on vintage baseball and baseball cards. Meeting younger collectors like him is assuring that the hobby's future is in good hands... Picked up a few things, sold a few things, had some great conversations and before you knew it it was 6 PM and time to head out. While my original plans were to drive straight home, I had a wonderful dinner and visit with Ted Z and his daughter Zoe in Santa Monica (which sure beats the Subway in Buttonwillow). Made it home by 4 this morning... Next show I'm going to try and schedule an extra couple days just for visits and hanging. Maybe even a ball game or two. Looking forward to the next show in the spring. Thanks again for a great show.....
Was great to meet you Mark!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Fred

Was there very much 19th century material at the show?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Ken McMillan

I almost made the trip (4 1/2 hours round trip) but wasnt sure it would be worth a tank of gas. Was there much material from the 20's? 1921 E121-80 and W572 strip cards to be more specific? If there was, may make the trip next time.

Kmac
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I saw many Old Judges, and E cards.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Jay Miller was set up across from me and had binders full of Old Judges, I think Ted Z next to him had some N162's, and Paul Markoe typically has some very inexpensive low grade OJ's, although I didn't get a chance to browse around as much as usual.
I'd also like to give a huge thanks to Ryan Christoff, Ted Z, Mark Macrae, Jay Miller, Brian Marcy, Bill Cornell and Marty Pritchard for being so kind to my neighbor Asher and sharing so much knowledge. He reminds me a lot of Zach Rice 10 years ago in that he's so into the hobby and passionate about baseball history. Chris Levy also interviewed him for Sports Collectors Daily and I'm really looking forward to reading that, should give us a bit of a glimpse into the future of the hobby.
At one point someone showed him some T213 Coupon's that he liked a lot and rather than buy one he sat down with Ted Z for close to an hour and Ted gave him an incredible amount of information and a lot of notes about the issue. He was at my house at 8am this morning borrowing my Lipset Encyclopedia and I'm sure, like Zach, he'll be a walking version of it before long.
He was just one of many kids at the show, and their presence was one of the most rewarding aspects of the day.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Default I echo the others

Great show! Thanks to Jason, Adam and Anthony for creating such a great show (looking forward to the next one!).

And I echo ... several great conversations with Mark, Ted, and others. Asher was also a star at my table. (Didn't know he was your neighbor Anthony - but after his first vist I was like - who is this little guy who knows more about cards than I do! And loved seeing the cards he pulled from the 1961 Nu Scoops pack you gave him.)

And Ken - if you're coming next time let me know and I'll bring a handful of of W572s (I picked up Sherdel and Gharrity for myself at the show - Thank you Mark!).

All around great show. If you live in So Cal and didn't go ... you missed out!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Bruce Babcock

A very nice show and a nice venue. I only had a couple of hours to spend and didn't get to talk with everyone I had intended. Much more pre-war stuff than I anticipated, including 19th century. Lots of PCL as well. Thanks to Adam, Anthony and Jason. Bravo.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

As usual, a fantastic time.

On the card front, a great mix of stuff. A few dealers had newer material but the majority was vintage. Lots of stuff from 19th century including Old Judges, cabinets, and trade cards. A ton of early tobacco and candy cards ...for the person asking about 1920s material, Mark and Marty hasd a ton and some other dealers had a bunch. There was one interesting guy shopping around some e-121 Ruths and an e126 Ruth but did not get any takers after a few hours. 1930s were well represented by Ted, Mark, Marty and others from graded nrmt to beaters. A good amount of '50s-'70s as well from several dealers. Non-sport was surprisingly strong as well. I saw several transactions for '30s-'60s non-sport at a few tables.

On the people front, which is becoming my favorite aspect of this show, it was wonderful. I want to thank Mark for the great conversations again. I circled around to Patrick's table a few times as well. Ted Z. and I spent a bit of time chatting t-cards as well. Jay and I spoke Old Judges and was able to confirm that one of the Hamiltons listed on my list was not a Phillie (it is always nice to knock off a N-172 Hall of Famer but it is nicer when it costs nothing!). Jason and I spoke on and off and had a great time. Jason also took the time out of his day to speak to an older gentleman and his granddaughter who thought they had a fortune in cards but had an 80s reprint Plank and a bunch of g-vg '50s-2000s cards. He handled it like a gentleman (as opposed to several other dealers in the past that would have dismissed him in a minute and crushed his dreams). Jason took 30 minutes to sit with him and as a result, the gentleman walked away happy about his hobby and I later saw him with a few new cards that he bought at one of the dealers tables and a huge grin on his face. This is what the show is all about. Got to catch up with Bill, Adam, Anthony, John, and Paul as well. Saw Bruce Babcock for a moment too but did not have chance to speak much. Met a few new people too. I would like to thank Adam for taking time to talk to my friend Peter and his cousin who just signed a book deal that is heavily influenced by baseball cards. Peter has been working on this book for nearly 2 decades and it is a great piece of fiction (the excerpts I have had the pleasure of reading over the years have been wonderful). Adam gave them ideas and encouragement for the upcoming publication.

The kids too...several fairly knowledgeable kids were at the show too which was nice.

On the card front, I was gifted an Obak (thanks John!) and a 56 Yanks team card (thanks Patrick!). I picked up a Tobin Baby Anson trade card, 11 T205s, 5 '55 Bowman, 1 '53 Topps, 1 autographed photo postcard of an obscure Phillie, 1 Vintage Card Collector Magazine (of course the t205 issue with the article that really started it all for me by Kevin Struss!), 1 e-102, and cut in half 4-on-1 exhibit from the '30s.

If you missed these shows, you really are missing a great time. The hobby knowledge in the show was sort of scary when one of my friends pointed out that when Jay and Ted walked over to Mark's table. He pointed and mentioned that some of the leading experts in many of the sets we love were in the room just chatting...t206, Old Judge, PCL, Boxing, Cuban cards and T205. I was sort of surprised to realize this and glad that I had the opportunity to speak to some of these people at length outside of a National or Net54 dinner.

Thanks again to Jason, Anthony, and Adam for this show.

Joshua
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Big thanks from me to Anthony, Adam, and Jason for putting this show together. It reminded me of the days when I'd go to Nashua, NH and Cranston, RI and Marlboro, MA shows to see dealers and collector friends.

Great to see Jay M., Mark, Quan, Richard Wong, Ted, Josh Levine, Elliot, Tony Andrea, Dan Studebaker, and a whole bunch of other people I'm going to forget until right after I post this.

I second Mark's comment on Asher. He reminded me of a young Bill Cornell.

Maybe Chris Levy can share some of the photos he took.

Bill
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Socially, the show was fantastic. It was great to see Mark, Bill, Ryan, Ted, Elliot, Dan, and to meet some new people. Asher was fantastic. He hung out with me for about 15 minutes learning about the Old Judge set. If the hobby can generate interest from more kids like him it has a bright future.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Rich Klein

Default Had am email conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Big thanks from me to Anthony, Adam, and Jason for putting this show together. It reminded me of the days when I'd go to Nashua, NH and Cranston, RI and Marlboro, MA shows to see dealers and collector friends.

Great to see Jay M., Mark, Quan, Richard Wong, Ted, Josh Levine, Elliot, Tony Andrea, Dan Studebaker, and a whole bunch of other people I'm going to forget until right after I post this.

I second Mark's comment on Asher. He reminded me of a young Bill Cornell.

Maybe Chris Levy can share some of the photos he took.

Bill
With Chris Levy last night, photos are being developed and being sent to him and article will run soon. I'll post the article when it is run
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Dan Studebaker

Thanks for the show, it is really a lot of fun to catch up with folks in person. Spent a good deal of time talking to other collectors and some like Jay and Bill that I hadn't seen since the 2009 National. Sincere pleasure to finally meet Richard Wong, his showcase was impressive to say the least.

I did overhear one customer say "There is not enough new stuff, the old stuff they have is really nice but there isn't any new stuff." If that isn't an ad for this show, I don't know what is.

Thanks again to Jason, Anthony, and Adam.

Last edited by dstudeba; 03-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Thanks for the show, it is really a lot of fun to catch up with folks in person. Spent a good deal of time talking to other collectors and some like Jay and Bill that I hadn't seen since the 2009 National. Sincere pleasure to finally meet Richard Wong, his showcase was impressive to say the least.

I did overhear one customer say "There is not enough new stuff, the old stuff they have is really nice but there isn't any new stuff." If that isn't an add for this show, I don't know what is.

Thanks again to Jason, Anthony, and Adam.
I haven't heard that complaint in ages! Wish I could have made it. Maybe next time.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Rich Klein

Default Chris Levy story

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ng-collectors/

You will see some familiar faces in the photos
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Thanks for sharing that, Rich. Chris does a great job with these topical articles.

This photo needed a caption, so I'm providing one:

"2 ex-moderators and a guy with a lot of Old Judges"
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Robert S

Default Bill: The Story Had a Better "Caption"

Hey Bill,

While your photo may not have had an official caption like the others in the story, it did appear with the following text wrapped around it, which is a far funnier "caption" in my eyes:

"The show was heavily populated by young collectors, sharing the day with their fathers, who hoped to pass down the hobby."

I've never thought of you and Elliot as "young collectors" before...

And say hi to "dad" for me. Jay only moved to California recently, but I guess that West Coast sun ages you faster...

Robert S
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Mark Macrae

Bill.....Your comments on Asher made me chuckle. When he first approached my table we were talking about 1975 Minis. He knew quite a bit of the nuances of the set (size variances, miscuts,etc) and he reminded me of myself at that time. Ironically I was 13 when the Minis came out, and had the same drive at the time as Asher does today, at the same age.... For those who go to show looking for brass tacks, you probably will not find them at the show or Ebay. I just finished up a 3 week, 7000 mile road trip, covering 14 states and seeing literally hundreds of friends, antique shops and looking at millions of items (beyond what I saw at the National). During this trip , I did not pick up a SINGLE Zeenut from my wantlist (just resale ones) but still had a great time. If you go to places with a closed mind you will probably not find anything for your collection and walk away disenchanted. If, on the other hand, you just go and check things out, you'll likely walk away with a positive experience. Erik touched on this in his post. Building a network of friends / colleagues to search for items for you is a perfect example of the hidden benefit of attending these types of shows. Its better than sitting at home at 2AM munching on a bag of Cheetos and staring at a screen wearing nothing but..... well, never mind ...that vision of some Net54 members would scare many out of the hobby!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Jay Miller was set up across from me and had binders full of Old Judges, I think Ted Z next to him had some N162's, and Paul Markoe typically has some very inexpensive low grade OJ's, although I didn't get a chance to browse around as much as usual.
I'd also like to give a huge thanks to Ryan Christoff, Ted Z, Mark Macrae, Jay Miller, Brian Marcy, Bill Cornell and Marty Pritchard for being so kind to my neighbor Asher and sharing so much knowledge. He reminds me a lot of Zach Rice 10 years ago in that he's so into the hobby and passionate about baseball history. Chris Levy also interviewed him for Sports Collectors Daily and I'm really looking forward to reading that, should give us a bit of a glimpse into the future of the hobby.
At one point someone showed him some T213 Coupon's that he liked a lot and rather than buy one he sat down with Ted Z for close to an hour and Ted gave him an incredible amount of information and a lot of notes about the issue. He was at my house at 8am this morning borrowing my Lipset Encyclopedia and I'm sure, like Zach, he'll be a walking version of it before long.
He was just one of many kids at the show, and their presence was one of the most rewarding aspects of the day.

Anthony

I'm back in the peaceful environs of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Anyhow, I found it quite adventurous in the Santa Monica/Culver City area. Driving can be quite a challenge.

I had a great time at the Show buying, trading, and selling BB cards. Meeting guys (for the 1st time), who I had known via emails or Net54. I brought an eclectic assortment
of cards.....N162's, T-cards, Goudey's, Diamond Stars, PlayBall's, Bowman's, Leaf's, and 1952 Topps.

Sold (or traded) cards from each of these 8 groups.....including 58 diff. Diamond Star cards. But, one of the hi-lites of the show was meeting Asher. This young enthusiastic
BB card collector is the future of this hobby. He asked a lot of intelligent questions about all issues. I was quite impressed with his knowledge of vintage cards. At the end
of the show, he purchased my 1935 Goudey cards. These 9 cards translated to 36 different subjects; and, I think Asher probably felt he was getting more "bang for his $$".

As we were packing up, Mark Macrae and I met Asher's Dad and we had a great time "Talking BaseBall" with him on many subjects.

Thanks guys for a great Show.

TED Z
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Chris did a nice profile on the kid, hopefully it inspires a few others

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-hobby-future/
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Matt

Was a great show. My brother got a fantastic T206 Young Glove Shows Polar Bear back-- I believe from Ted Z, if I recall correctly.

Richard's case had me drooling. I may make a run at one card of his that kept me coming back time and again to that table. Was caught in its gravity

There was an amazing T206 setup as well. Learned a lot about those cards from those guys-- they had some really rare pieces.

Overall, so many warm, friendly collectors to talk with; it was another great time.

And I recall talking that young kid's ear off about '75 minis at the last Culver show-- glad to see I didn't bore him off the set!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM

I made it to the first of these shows, but unfortunately could not make it this time. I will definitely be there in the future. Sounds like a fun time was had by all.

Congrats to Anthony, Jason, and Adam for putting together a great show!
JimB
Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Was a great show. My brother got a fantastic T206 Young Glove Shows Polar Bear back-- I believe from Ted Z, if I recall correctly.

Richard's case had me drooling. I may make a run at one card of his that kept me coming back time and again to that table. Was caught in its gravity

There was an amazing T206 setup as well. Learned a lot about those cards from those guys-- they had some really rare pieces.

Overall, so many warm, friendly collectors to talk with; it was another great time.

And I recall talking that young kid's ear off about '75 minis at the last Culver show-- glad to see I didn't bore him off the set!

My very first sale Saturday morning was the T206 CYoung (Polar Bear) to your brother.

It was the start of a really great day.

Best regards to both of you.

TED Z
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey guys....let's see some of your pick-ups at the Culver City Show

I acquired several walk-ins....this 19th Century goodie was my favorite walk-in......

Also, a very rare color printing error of this 1949 LEAF scarce series card of Cliff Fannin.

Thanks Mike Ryan for the nice deal on this card, which adds to the number of color errors in my 2nd set of 1949 LEAF's.

TED Z
Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Ted: Thanks for the trade! Enjoy the "19th Century goodie".
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I barely got to look over the show let alone shop but I did find a few items on Dan S.'s table:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Ted: Thanks for the trade! Enjoy the "19th Century goodie".

Hi Richard

Here is my other N165. I was quite happy to make a trade for your N165....it being a BB subject.

Thanks again,

TED Z