NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Still not quite there . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Wow. That’s actually the best candidate yet. Tough (short printed?) card of an all-time great from an iconic set.
I'd agree that this has some good attributes, with the short print and iconic set. But the year is later than the original qualification.

And in my opinion, it still doesn't quite have the same draw as the T206 Wagner yet. But maybe in 10 years after it continues to get more publicity . . .
Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
I'd agree that this has some good attributes, with the short print and iconic set. But the year is later than the original qualification.

And in my opinion, it still doesn't quite have the same draw as the T206 Wagner yet. But maybe in 10 years after it continues to get more publicity . . .
Agree on the date of issue and the potential for this card.... it is perhaps too rare, however. I have not seen enough copies to comply with somebody else’s standard of “at least getable” by coming to auction every now and then.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
So, Ulidia, I am curious if you were to take a poll of 20 kids in the neighborhood or at the soccer stadium, how many collect soccer stickers and if not, do they collect anything else that does let them feel close to the game (magazines, jerseys, etc.)?

My hypothesis is that lack of nostalgia from kids not collecting baseball cards today will lead to a dearth of baseball card collectors in 30 - 40 years. But because kids today collect stickers around the world (especially Panini WC stickers), that soccer cards will become more and more popular over the next 30 - 40 years.
Here in the British Isles, until today, the main soccer collectible has been the match program (programme) because it has related to a specific game. That has been the primary collectible because those kids attending games got one and kept it and those kids who weren’t able to attend wished they did.

Program collecting would be the closest UK sports comparable to baseball card collecting albeit much smaller values at the high end i.e. it still raises eyebrows when a program sells over $10k or equivalent.

However, program collecting is slowly declining - prices have been falling generally (or at best static for really top end items) for over a decade. More so, this will be significantly impacted by the increasing decision of clubs not to issue program for individual games - so fewer kids will get into the hobby. Ultimately, the match day program may, to some extent, go the same way as the daily newspaper.

Cards were collected in the past. Since Panini (and a number of rivals) made it big here some decades ago, cards were eclipsed by stickers as a collectible. Kids do collect Panini stickers but, in the 1980s and 1990s they sold much higher numbers than today. Interestingly, the attraction to Panini stickers here tends to be more from adults who did collect them and swap them in the prior generations.

To give you an example, my beloved Northern Ireland qualified for the 2016 European Championships, the first tournament they qualified for since 1986. It elicited excitement for many people of my age (heading towards mid 40s) because it meant we’d have Northern Ireland in a Panini sticker album for the first time since the 1986 World Cup. I’ve got completed 1982 & 1986 Panini albums because of the Northern Ireland team.

So there’s definitely a place for stickers / cards but, of the serious collectors over here (serious in terms of money spent, albeit generally modest versus US), they don’t want to spend their money on stickers or cards of players.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Ciaran

For anyone interested in the UK soccer sticker craze (started by Panini) of the 1970s, 80s and 90s, there is a very good documentary called “Stuck on You”.

For some reason, I do not appear able to add a link but search “stuck on you Panini” on YouTube to access it.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
That’s true for all sports and countries though, right? They don’t show off cards at Yankee Stadium, they have jerseys and other memorabilia. And that stuff generally sells for the most, but it doesn’t mean that cards don’t have a place.
I’m not suggesting for one moment that cards don’t have a place - just that the place they have will never be comparable to the place that baseball cards have had in the US.

Some of the earlier Spanish cards of the 1920s through to 1940s are great and can be picked up at low prices. I am not a card colector nor claim knowledge of cards but I do buy these types of items regularly and have other Irish cards of well known footballers of the pre war era that are very rare - albeit not necessarily valuable.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Very cool insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I’m not suggesting for one moment that cards don’t have a place - just that the place they have will never be comparable to the place that baseball cards have had in the US.

Some of the earlier Spanish cards of the 1920s through to 1940s are great and can be picked up at low prices. I am not a card colector nor claim knowledge of cards but I do buy these types of items regularly and have other Irish cards of well known footballers of the pre war era that are very rare - albeit not necessarily valuable.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. It is always good to see what others see in their local markets!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards