NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Default Does a PSA grade of "miscut" or "cut too small" mean that the card is authentic?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default Does a PSA grade of "miscut" or "cut too small" mean that the card is authentic?

Posted By: Donald J.

I had that question also. Received a card back from PSA/SGC that had the term "Did not meet minimum size requirements." I'm supposing that doesn't mean trimmed or they would have just said so. Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

No.

Measuring is the FIRST thing they do at PSA.

If your card is too small, it never even makes it to the microscope or the black light.

Thus, if they send it back as "too small"... there is no way of knowing if it is real or not.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Hal,

You're being sarcastic . . . right? I can never tell sometimes on this board.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hey guys.
I've had cards submitted to sgc returned as "didn't meet minimum size."
These cards were authentic of course, but well worn from time rather than from folks trimming them.

Not sure though if they have a minium size set for each issue or what?
robert a

Old 03-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

I had a couple of cards recturned from SGC as "too small to holder" which were absolutely 100% authentic and had borders, albeit smaller than normal because of wear, etc. SGC was decent enough on a re-submit to agree to grade them as "authentic" since SGC had graded every single card in the set for me except these two and I wanted to maintain the consistency, but they told me it was a one shot deal. I appreciated their generosity.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

"Evid of Trim" means the card is trimmed.

"Min. Size Req." means that the card has an original factory cut, but was cut small. In this case, you get your grading fee refunded in the form of a voucher.

From PSA's persective - it is an important distinction, as you pay for getting a trimmed card assessed as such, but you do not pay in the second scenario. There are some sets where size variations are more commonplace - 1955 Bowman baseball being an example...

Of course - one's faith/belief in PSA's aptitude in grading size variations properly is another question. In fact, I think most grading companies generally do a poor job of cards that were formerly oversized that now 'measure correctly' but have been trimmed. some worse than others.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Bob,

Just to clarify, SGC gave them the "authentic" label simply because they couldn't give them a number grade. Not because of the size of the cards made their authenticity questionable. Correct?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I didn't know PSA HAD microscopes or balck lights. But then, I have as little to do with them as possible.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I sent my 1952 TOPPS Detroit Tiger set to PSA and 2 came back in soft plastic holders with label of miscut. They still charged for the grading fees for the 2 cards.

Joe

Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Pete- correct. They said the cards were authentic but didn't assign a number grade because they said they were "too small to holder" and didn't meet minimum size requirements. One looked fine, the other had vertical edge wear which reduced the width, I guess.
Bob

Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

just out of curiousity, if the card has an original factory cut and sgc has the ability to create custom size gaskets, why would they refuse to holder the card.

and a related question - if a card is oversized but otherwise authentic, will sgc holder the card?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

Because the card will look too odd in their holder. People see a small card in a holder and immediately assume it's been trimmed without ever looking at the actual cut like the graders do. Up to a point the cards get slabbed, but at some point it gets to small for them to want it in one of their holders.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks Howie - does that mean they will grade an oversized card?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

Probably the same as undersized up to the point of looking freakishly too big or small. Both must show evidence of having an original cut. Oversized and trimmed is still a no no.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

On two separate submissions for the same card I received two different responses from PSA. The first time they did not grade it due to "Mini size req". The second time it came back "Evid. of trim." They charged for both.
JimB

Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

nothing like consistency.