NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM

Default REA Winnings..... And losings.

Won every Brown Hindu that I could see, lots of other T206's. HOLY COW lot 379. I got SPANKED. Had a 20k bid placed and it ended at 30k! What did you guys win?

Last edited by Sean1125; 04-27-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Matt

Why don't you change the title to "...And Losers Thread." I whiffed on the e90-2 Wagner and the D304 Cobb sailed past my max late in the game. The Cobb Back went apeshit, as did the Ruth-- but those were kind of expected.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Robert Williams

The lone lot I bid on went for a stupid high amount. None of the cards were particularly rare, and you could have piece-mealed it on Ebay for a WHOLE lot less money. I think some of the bidders get caught up in the "REA" auction fever, and all sanity goes out the window. Probably cause they send you a pretty slick, color catalog in the mail for FREE the size of the old Sears catalogs!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Just the Hilton Smith for me . . .

Got close on a few of the T206 lots but no luck.

If anyone here won the T207 lot, please shoot me a PM.

Scott
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Brad Pencil

I know who I am consigning with in the fall, the prices I saw were crazy and way above anyone else I have consigned with before. So here I come REA. lol

Great pick ups Sean.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The lone lot I bid on went for a stupid high amount. None of the cards were particularly rare, and you could have piece-mealed it on Ebay for a WHOLE lot less money. I think some of the bidders get caught up in the "REA" auction fever, and all sanity goes out the window. Probably cause they send you a pretty slick, color catalog in the mail for FREE the size of the old Sears catalogs!
Most everything I bid on met the same fate. The T206's lots of EPDG, other got crazy & the lot 379 - the T206's attached to an album. Amazing front condition cards - but 30k + commission. Wow ! Speechless
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 AM
pete ullman

I was the underbidder on the e94 partial set and the e97 set...if anyone won and is piecing out...pls contact me.

ullmandds@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Luke Keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Why don't you change the title to "...And Losers Thread." I whiffed on the e90-2 Wagner and the D304 Cobb sailed past my max late in the game. The Cobb Back went apeshit, as did the Ruth-- but those were kind of expected.
I whiffed on the Wagner too. Was too rich for my blood, in addition I everything else I was interested in. Was surprised by how much the Authentic graded cards went for.

Last edited by LKeeler; 04-27-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Tony N.

Default Rea

I put an initial bid on the Terre Haute card with Mordecai, but didn't pursue it. I went after the J=K Wagner, but jumped ship towards the end.

Tony
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Changed track a few times and no way was I going to pay what it took to win what I really wanted, so ended up with the 1918 Zeenut, the Tattoo Orbit 5 poster lot (those are quite cool), Crawfords trade card and beat up 3 photo lot. But didn't really fill any holes in my collection. How did that happen?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
How did that happen?
LOL...we call that "poop or get off the pot"....sounds like you got off the pot!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
PeterB

My budget was totally outclassed in this auction. Some T206's went for way more then I thought they would
Barry Sloate

After being out of the hobby as a collector for many years, I won my first lot in a long time last night. But it wasn't cards- it was a collection of vintage books (what else). And it was a great deal, I was shocked I got it. Maybe one of the very few bargains in the entire auction.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
After being out of the hobby as a collector for many years, I won my first lot in a long time last night. But it wasn't cards- it was a collection of vintage books (what else). And it was a great deal, I was shocked I got it. Maybe one of the very few bargains in the entire auction.
That's awesome Barry, congrats on your lot, I remember you always had an interest in the books. I actually stumbled into a small lot of books in the auction and thought of you. Glad to see you still involved
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM
K Farrell

Quote:
Barry - I agree, the vintage books were a steal. The Church and Cinncinati books by themselves are worth more than the hammer price. great buy - let me know if you are selling either Cobb book.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
I was the underbidder Barry and saw I got outbid at around 2:30 in the afternoon, and I guess it stuck. Congrats. If you want to part with the Church book, please let me know.

I was outbid on the only other lot I REALLY wanted at 2:36AM (I couldn't stay up ) was the 1939 Burdick books. My high bid of $4500 was topped by one bid

Oh well, win some, lose some.

Greg
Belltown Vintage

I only had one initial ceiling bid hold up - the two Home Run Baker autographs. Won two other items that required a bit of unplanned early morning enthusiasm.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Won 6 lots in all, and was happy with the prices. Most went for under what I had estimated. I picked up the J=K Wagner, the e93 Dooin w/ e97 back, the t205 Collins with the ghost, two lots of Ramly's including the 19 card lot w/ Pelty and a small group of 5 e107 commons.

Will likely have some t204 or maybe even e107 extras once I get it all sorted out. Will be out of town today but back tonight to start looking through things.

item_30645_1.jpg

item_30476_1.jpg

item_30413_1.jpg

item_30322_1.jpg
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Al

When I fell asleep last night after 3AM I was the high bidder on the 1888 New York Giants team photo at $2,750. I woke up at 6 to discover I'd been outbid. Many times. It closed at $11,000, with 20 bids placed between 3:30 and 4:45 AM.

I did win the 1915 Newark Peppers team photo (the "N" in my avatar refers to the Peppers), and for that I am thrilled.

Just a great auction, every single time.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 04-27-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Changed track a few times and no way was I going to pay what it took to win what I really wanted, so ended up with the 1918 Zeenut, the Tattoo Orbit 5 poster lot (those are quite cool), Crawfords trade card and beat up 3 photo lot. But didn't really fill any holes in my collection. How did that happen?
+1, Leon. I was outbid on all of the T206 lots that I wanted and then started talking myself into bidding on stuff that didn't even fit into my collecting niche. In the end, I look a pass on everything.

It reminded me of a quarterback inside the red zone in football. Sometimes, if no one is open, the best play is to just throw the ball out of the end zone and go back to the drawing board...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
+1, Leon. I was outbid on all of the T206 lots that I wanted and then started talking myself into bidding on stuff that didn't even fit into my collecting niche. In the end, I look a pass on everything.

It reminded me of a quarterback inside the red zone in football. Sometimes, if no one is open, the best play is to just throw the ball out of the end zone and go back to the drawing board...
As a type collector and ancillary-item-to-our-cards collector, I can justify almost any direction I go. I have a ton of advertising things but they aren't my primary interest (cards are). So the biggest purchase for me was for things (Tattoo Orbit baseball signage) I likely won't see again, in the completeness of this small group. Made sense to me. Then right before I absolutely fell asleep (mere seconds) I hit a bid for the 1918 Zeenut, which was an upgrade for me, then almost before my fingers left the bid key I fell asleep. It was like I was giving one last gasp of breath to the auction. Also, I barely got into the chat room last night as I felt a bit off kilter. I think it was all of the ass kicking I took in the auction. Where is that 1915 REA thread? Better start preparing early.

Last edited by Leon; 04-27-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

The "REAness" seems to take a hold on many people....they just can't stop themselves from overbidding, then they wake up with buyer's remorse and a new thread is started telling us about it. Then ultimately the item/items don't even get paid for or are immediately put back up for sale with the buyer willing to take a huge loss because he admittingly way overpaid......a sad but true vicious cycle when it comes to REA/Goodwin lots.

If more people would exercise some sort of DISCIPLINE when bidding, these things wouldn't happen
Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Leon

guess great minds think alike as I put the acc at 4000. of the total. Still seems high but apparently not to 3/4 other people. I'll look for the '56 as I think I have an extra in "the box".
Not enough time has gone by for me to go out in public - but I guess privately on a chatboard in the anonimity of the cyberweb I can bemoan my crushing defeat last night. The round album. The great equalizer. Granddaddy of them all. After losing all my bids by 2am I decided the time had come for one last shot over the bow. One last bid on the LAST album I need to conclude my framed "run". I was barely conscious - there was no time for reason - I hit the bid button.
It had been agonizing enough waiting the month for the final day of bidding on my interested lots and couple/three consignments. That last 2 hours from 2:15 to 4:59:12 when only criminals and thieves are awake on the beast coast were the toughest. At 4:59 the lights flickered - death had laid eggs in my wounds (Garcia Marquez) - mighty Casey had struckout. And so the struggle continues. First time ever I was goose-egged without a single lot won. On the positive side - I can now afford to go to a baseball game...............
Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeeler View Post
I whiffed on the Wagner too. Was too rich for my blood, in addition I everything else I was interested in.
Well at least we both had the same good taste, Luke! I am actually very happy for the card. I've long believed the e90-2 Wagner to be tragically undervalued, and had hopes at one time of obtaining several. I know of at least one other collector who owns a few of the extant 105 grades examples (probably less factoring in crackouts and crosses).

I mean, considering it's a Wagner portrait from that age, has such an attractive, bold color background, and is desirable to so many collectors as an alternative to The One, I was waiting for this card to take off one day.

I was thinking of selling mine at one point to help another card happen; man, am I glad I held it.

Someone absolutely stole one off ebay a little while back. The auction never even popped on my saved searches for some reason. That one still pains me. Not really the card for a quick ebay auction, in my opinion. It deserves a long time up there with a proper write-up or should be in a catalog.

When we look at what some of the other Wagner portraits go for, I gotta believe the remaining affordable ones will gain ground and narrow the price gap as years go by. Trying to build a well-rounded collection, a Wagner portrait kind of feels like a must-have, and there aren't many affordable choices for the collector.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Congrats. If anyone won the 1785 T206 OM/EPDG lot I would be interested in a few.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Steven H.

Just got official word that Lot 295, which I partnered with a board member on, is my first ever REA win. It's also my first Cobb, Matty, WaJo, and Young cards!! This has been an awesome week for my collection with REA and a few OJ pickups earlier this week. Not so much for the piggy bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Ken Wirt

I was the underbidder on the 1933 Philadelphia Stars Negro League PC with Jud Wilson and Biz Mackey. Being the underbidder sucks!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Brian Dwyer

Great pickups everyone. I added information about invoices to the other thread, but I will also post here.

Invoices are now finalized and available online in your account. We will not send hard copy invoices so please check your account on our website. The free shipping is not a mistake! Shipping is free (with the exception of international shipments and unusually large or heavy items--charges for those will be invoiced in the coming days as we calculate costs based on location).

If you have special instructions about sending your items, please e-mail us AND include a note with your payment. If you need wiring instructions, please contact us and we'll send the information to you.

We start shipping tomorrow, so the sooner we receive payment, the sooner we can process your invoice for shipping. There were 649 different winning bidders, which means the shipping process takes a great deal of time (and not all of our items are single graded cards). We always do our best to ship shortly after receipt of payment.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks again for your participation!

Brian
Old 04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default great ball Jay

I'm still missing an early trophy ball, fingerless glove, and pillbox hat to round out my accumulation. I had long pockets and short arms based on my projected "win" of the Goodwin round album or I might have taken the dip - one day I'll find the one that speaks to me when I can actually afford it. Nice as well that you found a connection to it. Congratulations........
Old 04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Barry Sloate

Great win Jay. That was one of my favorite lots in the auction. I had a few of the Union balls in my collecting days, but that one is the best of the bunch.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Thanks Barry and Henry. Not many times that I find a piece that talks to me.

Last edited by oldjudge; 04-27-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Barry Sloate

Jay- the late Walter Handelman, who was a dear friend of mine and a big 19th century collector, grew up in Morrisania and loved anything he could find regarding the team. He had one of the lower condition Union balls as well as other Morrisania memorabilia.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Great items guys, Jay love the ball! Not much for me not unlike the Mighty Casey I sort of struck out this go round.

Jeff, Bill & Jim great items as usual that's one nice Cobb....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM

After some last-minute scrambling (I got outbid on all my lots I was winning after 4:30AM EST), I happily came away with the fantastic 1896 Orioles (champions that year) cabinet featuring many eventual Hall-of-Famers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1896 Orioles (close).jpg (73.1 KB, 604 views)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Great stuff guys! I got 2 Piedmont 42 T206's, and these two stubs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Sox Stubs.jpg (43.2 KB, 568 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM

Default No Soup for me

Struck out on everything.

If the winner of teh W572 lot is selling the 5 card strip, let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Struck out on everything.

If the winner of teh W572 lot is selling the 5 card strip, let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick
That was me. I am likely to sell or trade the commons and dupes of Cobb and Johnson. There are players I a wanted on the strip, but I am not wed to it. Happy to discuss.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Leighton

Very cool! It was a great auction as usual. I won the N300 Mayo near set, a bunch of T206's, and misc other cards. For my collection, I was blown out of the water by the 1873 Rutgers Football program which sold for $7,700 but I won lot #1889, the 1915 Red Sox Scorecard w/ Babe Ruth and lot #870, the Eddie Cicotte signed lot (I'm going to keep the photo and sell the 1st day cover). I can't wait for the next auction!

Regards,
Leighton
www.justcollect.com
Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks Bill.
JimB
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks for bowing out.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I was a big winner this year, because I just got my catalog today (4-28-2014). I saved a ton of money.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Bill

I really love the card I won... Lot 78! I had a lot of fun watching the incredible run in the final 8 hours. I cant imagine NOT drinking during that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REA winner 2014 Welch.jpg (61.0 KB, 483 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Dan Paradis

I sold this card in a similar grade a few months ago and regretted it (of course my wife reminded me she told me not to sell it). I was happy to see in REA and thrilled that the team "card" was included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-28-2014 8-20-11 PM.jpg (51.3 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg 4-28-2014 8-19-52 PM.jpg (50.6 KB, 473 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I was a big winner this year, because I just got my catalog today (4-28-2014). I saved a ton of money.
Was the internet down in your town this month?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Brian - sorry I failed to put in a marker on your OBAKs. I marked poorly for the most part as almost all were at retail or higher at extendef bidding time. I also did very poorly on my one REA consignment - I paid over 6K and the hammer was just over 3K
But I think that was a weird anamoly.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Addendum - my consignment was last Fall.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Tattoo Orbit signs are really colorful...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppostertattoo5final2.jpg (80.4 KB, 462 views)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Steven Sadler

I split lot 295 with another board member. Sent my check on Monday and received the cards today. Now that's service!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Todd

Received my consignment check today - very quick! First time dealing with REA and it was a good experience.