NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Mark

Default Which planet do they mean?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM

This is not a comment on the photo(s), but the marketing use of the word 'specimen' reminded of what my dad would say in such situations: "More like urine specimen."

Last edited by drc; 02-04-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
D.B. Cooper

So we're up to 3 copies? That card is wicked extant.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

"...the only known specimen on the planet!"***

[***The "planet" is the name I have given to my desk, so when I refer to the only one on the planet, you should understand that to mean the only one on my desk...at this time...]

Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Mark

This not so unique photo went for $9148.55 - was it worth it?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

The description resembles one Brian Drent used for an item perhaps a couple of years ago which also turned out not to be one of a kind, although I am sure he did not know it at the time. I am sure it was discussed here but I cannot recall the particulars.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Mark

Let me add that Goodwin was sent an email on 2/3/2010 with the info posted in this thread.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 02-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Barry Sloate

It's a beautifully posed image, with that great grandstand in the background. Still, without Harry Wright in the photo that's a lot of money. But with regard to the fact that it's not unique, I feel the catalog description should have been amended. When I did auctions often somebody who knew more about a particular subject than I did would email me, and if I could verify the information I would add it to the text. Not a big deal at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Dan Bretta

Heh. "other industry leaders"....that should include Mark Rucker who probably knows more about 19th century baseball photographs than anyone. He owns Transcendental Graphics...IOW he owns one of these images. In the future Goodwin should check with Mark before making a claim like that.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default the prior thread

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=82042
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Barry Sloate

Dan- I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't own the cabinet. He keeps images of everything he can find, as that is his business. But he sold off most of his original material a long time ago.

Isn't there an image of this in that mid-1980's National Pastime? I can check mine shortly and see.

NO, it's not in the NP.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

A few points:

1-To say any photographic image is unique is ridiculous. It may be very rare, but you can never say with certainty that there is no other one out there. Is this image rare--yes.

2-The cabinet that is shown above is not the same as Goodwin's cabinet, which is an identified Sweeny cabinet. Same image--different cabinet.

3-Is the buyer unhappy with the purchase--No, I bought it and am extremely pleased to have gotten it.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Barry Sloate

Jay- do you see those people sitting above the grandstand? Are those luxury boxes?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

That's Steinbrenner's great grandfather's box
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Ah yes...Ebenezer Steinbrenner!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Mark

So, I think Jay is saying that when Goodwin calls it an "unprecedented cardboard memento" - they are right because the other known "momento" is not a Sweeney.

I'll defer to Jay's considerable expertise in that area, but it seems that mention of the non-Sweeny "momento" in the description would have been more - I don't know - transparent. Even if the final price was acceptable, this may have affected the bidding.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 02-12-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Mark--I agree with what you are saying about the write-up. This is not a problem with only Goodwin however; the hype is pervasive in almost every catalog. I'm simply saying that I just ignore the hype and look at the item. Could it have affected the bidding, maybe, but probably not much if at all.

The practice that annoys me the most is, when examining the rarity of vintage cards, auction houses quote how many have been graded by SGC and PSA. This is truely meaningless. Most of the great Old Judge collections, as an example, have very few of their cards graded. Being the highest graded Old Judge is being the big fish in a very small pond. The result that I thought was really crazy in the Goodwin auction last night was the N172 Galvin PSA5 going for $9,400. That is not a particularily scarce card and, even though not graded, there are certainly better copies out there.

While I'm at it, another practice that gets to me is lot descriptions that seem to be judged on how many flowery phrases can be jammed in to each paragraph. A one sentence example from the upcoming Legendary Auction's description of the restore-reversed Wagner is shown below (not trying to pick on Legendary--I could have found examples in virtually any current catalog):

"A conservator’s earnest attempt to bring back the card’s signs of aging resulted in the sight one sees, today, when viewing it. "
Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Barry Sloate

Jay- if I graded that sentence with my English teacher's cap on, I would request a rewrite. For some reason they feel convoluted sentences enhance a piece's importance.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Mark

Jay -

The other thing I wanted to know - is that Recreation Park? I have no reference (I don't think) to compare.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

http://wapedia.mobi/en/1884_Philadelphia_Quakers_season

Interesting that cabinet is from a Cleveland photographer. Perhaps Cleveland was in town for the game and he tagged along. Wonder if there once existed a complementary Cleveland team shot.

BTW, this site's image is the second Cleveland cabinet(like the unique one in Goodwin)

Last edited by oldjudge; 02-12-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:03 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

While trying to identify the players in the photo (I'm really bad at this and any help would be appreciated) I noticed that between eighth and ninth players, in the background, stands a suited Harry Wright (I'm pretty sure).

BTW, I'm not sure that the player identification in the write-up is entirely correct. While I think the third player is Coleman and the sixth is Andrews, I don't, for example, think the first is Mulvey. Vintage Philadelphia experts on the board--what do you think?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Barry Sloate

You know, that very well could be Harry Wright. If you take a loupe to it I'm sure you will easily find out.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Mark

IMO - at the level of facial detail as published by the auction house - you can't be too sure of anything.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

False alarm--It is not Wright