NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Default LOTG Contest

https://lotgauctions.wordpress.com/2...me-the-player/

Just noticed that Al updated his blog...thought this was a cool contest...I'm stumped, so I figured I'd post it here on Net54.

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Barry Arnold

Default mike s

stumped here as well.
200 bucks is a great prize.
i'll try a bit more.

best,
barry
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good luck with contest Al...What a great looking postcard too!!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Ed McCollum

Default I have a theory, but am having trouble coming up with photographic proof

Just thinking, he isn't a major leaguer.....
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Ted

I made a guess. Al, can we guess again?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Al

Hi everybody!

Quick update on this: this contest is still open. We've gotten some great theories, some nice guesses, and also some stuff that's WAY out there, but I'm not confident enough in any of the responses at this stage.

I did post some new research on the LOTG blog here: https://lotgauctions.wordpress.com/2...ontest-update/

The contest is still open. I'm hoping someone comes in with a slam-dunk, because I'm tearing my hair out over it!

-Al
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

The way they are clowning around in the photo, I thought it might be a celebrity of the time (an actor/vaudeville performer) or a club employee (trainer, executive)/family member as he seems pretty short to be a ballplayer (there were certainly many short players, so just a thought...). I did some quick research on-line, but couldn't come up with anyone contemporary to the era that was a close match...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:12 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My guess was Ritter. From the updated blog, I guess I wasn't the only one.

I still think it's Ritter
Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Rhett Yeakley

here is a closer image of Ritter.

Ritter is listed as 5'9" and Wagner at 5'11". It looks like Wagner towers over the guy in the image.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 02-28-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default I found a crumb.....

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/newspage/57650342/

with the reference in the article that also mentions Wagner and Clarke:

THE SCORE. BROOKLYN'. Name. Alpernvrn, Casey: 3b.

But can't find a name even close in the annals of MLB?!?!?!?!?!?

Hey, if someone gets this based on my findings, I'm claiming half of that $200 credit!

Peace, Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Ritter is listed as 5'9" and Wagner at 5'11". It looks like Wagner towers over the guy in the image.
One of the reasons that I thought it was Ritter was because of his smaller size (5' 9" 150 lbs). The guy is definitely a lot smaller than Wagner, but for some reason I was thinking Wagner was taller than that. But, you are correct, he does tower over the guy so it couldn't be Ritter. Oh, well.

The eyes and facial lines sure do look similar though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Presentation1.jpg (30.4 KB, 436 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

My original thought was that it was Al Wagner, but I can't find a clear image of him from that time period for a good comparison. I believe the picture has to be from 1909 or later. Based on the uniforms, we know the player in the middle is wearing a 1908 uniform, however, Wagner held out/considered retiring and did not play until after the 1908 season began. Therefore, Honus would not have been in Hot Springs in 1908. I was able to find a team photo from 1911 that shows both Honus and Al, thus proving they were together in Hot Springs at one point, but to me the image is not real clear. Also, I believe Al and Honus were much closer in height than the image suggests. So I'm not so confident in my pick.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-01-2015, 03:10 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I'm thinking it might be Otis Clymer.

I also don't believe Honus was really that much bigger than the guy in the middle. If you look closely, Honus is standing on his toes, with his heels in the air. He also appears to be stretching his body in order to look bigger (and he's shrugging his shoulders), while Clarke and the other guy are both sort of scrunched or bending down.

Lastly, if you look at the names, Clarke's name is misspelled, and the middle name could begin with "Cly"

Edited to add:

The problem with it being Clymer is that he left the Pirates in the middle of the 1907 season.

After further research, the middle-man bears a resemblance to Beals Becker, who came up to the Pirates in 1908. That would explain why the guy's wearing a 1908 uniform, since he didn't have a 1907 one. Then again, Becker was not yet 22 years old in the Spring of 1908, while the man in the photo appears to be older than that.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 03-01-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Sean Brennan

I'm saying it's Ritter as well. looks like him. He was a catcher. He played for Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure that's the uniform he's wearing. The 5'9 height could be wrong. I noticed every site has Fred Paynes birthday wrong and height would be a lot harder to confirm over time.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Bry@n

I agree that this guy looks a LOT like Ritter. However, the Colgan's picture shows that Ritter is a guy with a pretty severely crooked nose at the end, maybe from a break, while Al's photo shows a guy with a similar looking nose that clearly has no hook. This alone seems like enough evidence to say that it isn't Ritter. Unfortunately I have no idea who it is!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I know that it does not match the name but maybe the name is just wrong as written...but could it be Tommy Leach? He was tiny and was often photographed with Wagner and Clarke...I am horrible at the facial recognition thing though.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM

Strangely Wagner's pose mimic's Ritter's T206 card.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/bb...140/1143fv.jpg

Last edited by sb1; 03-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Bry@n

I wonder if the guy in the middle is a sportswriter, trainer, or front office guy. The picture seems like it follows someone saying "You think you can catch it?" to the guy in the middle as if he isn't a player - with Clarke acting like the guy is clearly going to drop it and Wagner shrugging because he isn't too confident. This could also explain the new uniform on the guy in the middle - he might be modeling the new one for the upcoming season for the players at spring training.

Side note: Isn't speculation grand?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Todd Schultz

I think DJ's point is a good one-- Wagner was not in Hot Springs for Spring Training in 1908. He is wearing a 1907 Pirates uniform. Either the photo is from 1907 and the middle subject is therefore not wearing a Pirates 1908 uniform, or the photo is post-1908 and Wagner is wearing the "old" uniform. Players often wore the preceding year's uniform in the Spring, with the new ones not put on display until the regular season. Thus, it seems less likely that Honus is wearing the "new" 1907 uniform in the photo; moreover, if he were, than how do you explain the other uniform? which would apparently have to be attributed to a college or minor league team in the area, unless Okkonen is wrong on the Brooklyn and Boston uniforms.

More likely this is from 1909, with Honus wearing a two year-old uniform. The further you get from 1909 the less likely he would be wearing an even older uniform. FWIW and since anything goes in this guessing game, let me throw out the wildest theory yet. There was an alderman/magistrate (low level judge) named Louis Alpern from Pittsburgh's 3rd ward in 1909, and there is a person by that name said by Ancestry.com to have been residing in the area in both 1920 and 1940 who was born around 1880, putting him in his late 20's -early 30's in 1909. It looks like he may have been the subject of corruption charges later on, and it's possible he considered himself quite the big shot. Could the photo be of a Pittsburgh politico who wanted his fantasy pic with the local boys of summer? And no, I have not been drinking.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-01-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:00 PM
S Gross

Actually, when I was checking Baseball Reference*, I had a feeling about Ritter, but thought it was a long shot. But looking at his Chip, it's not to far off.

ritter.jpg

Nose and ears look good, as well as upside down triangle shaped face.

Pushing it, but it does start with A. Nickname "Old Dog" -------> German: "Alte Hund"
Old 03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Bry@n

I know Wagner "retired" in 1908, but are we sure he wasn't at spring training anyway? I couldn't find too many dates in a quick search, but this (see March):

http://dev.baseballlibrary.com/chron....php?year=1908

shows that the Naps started spring training on March 8 while it lists the date that Wagner announced his retirement on March 16th. If he showed up for spring training and became uphappy with negotiations while there he could have had put in a solid 8 days (if clubs started at similar dates) before calling it quits to force the owner's hand.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

I believe it says 'Alpem', not 'Alpern', and it's a Jewish player.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
If he showed up for spring training and became uphappy with negotiations while there he could have had put in a solid 8 days (if clubs started at similar dates) before calling it quits to force the owner's hand.
Doubtful. According to the book "Honus Wagner: The Life of Baseball's Flying Dutchman", Wagner looked happy standing at the train station to wave off his teammates on their way to Spring Training in 1908. In April, he played in one exhibition game in Clarke's hometown in Indiana, sparking hope he would return, to which he responded that he had promised Clarke "during the winter" that he would play in the game and he merely kept his promise. No mention of having been in Ark. a week or so before leaving.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 PM

My guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Bry@n

Thanks for posting that Todd, I knew someone here would have access to better info than what I found. If Wagner definitely wasn't at spring training in 1908 then I am 100% on board with this having been 1909 as even 1910 seems like too big of a stretch given Wagner's jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Doubtful. According to the book "Honus Wagner: The Life of Baseball's Flying Dutchman", Wagner looked happy standing at the train station to wave off his teammates on their way to Spring Training in 1908. In April, he played in one exhibition game in Clarke's hometown in Indiana, sparking hope he would return, to which he responded that he had promised Clarke "during the winter" that he would play in the game and he merely kept his promise. No mention of having been in Ark. a week or so before leaving.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Al

Hi all:

For what it's worth, I also subscribe to the 1909 theory, for the same reason: Wagner wasn't at Spring Training in 1908. He's likely just wearing an old uniform (it is, after all, Spring Training).

Also for what it's worth, I'm also researching this, trying to find the answer. If I figure it out before you guys do, I'm telling everyone!

-Al
Old 03-01-2015, 02:16 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Thanks for posting that Todd, I knew someone here would have access to better info than what I found. If Wagner definitely wasn't at spring training in 1908 then I am 100% on board with this having been 1909 as even 1910 seems like too big of a stretch given Wagner's jersey.
I don't think 1910 or 1911 are out of the question, see team picture here I found online from spring 1911 and note the players behinds Wagner appear to have the same 1908/09 jersey (logo on sleeve) as the mystery player while most of the rest have I believe a 1910 jersey (blue button up/collar & no P on front). Also look closely and it does not appear that Wagner has the blue button up/collar, under his sweater suggesting his jersey is older (perhaps 1907? as the collar is grey, not blue)

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
My guess.
This T206 card actually depicts Howie Camnitz. The unknown guy is not Camnitz.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

????

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Scott, I was going off the same assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I believe it says 'Alpem', not 'Alpern', and it's a Jewish player.
Last week, typing in Alpem in Google, it came up with a scanned article from a Salt Lake City newspaper dating to 1911 that mentioned a "Alpems staff of lefties" but like many of the old newpapers that have been scanned, it ran across a whole page, so what might have been the first five words in an article in column five was followed by the first five words in column six. When I went to view the actual scan of the page, it said I had to join the site for $60 a year full access, and I wasn't quite ready to do that. Now today, I can't find that article.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Todd Schultz

DJ looks to be on fire. Seems that Honus was not at Hot Springs in 1909 either, so the photo is from 1910 or later.

BTW, thanks to a kind board member (angelpece) for digging up a tidbit that keeps me in the running with my guess of magistrate Louis Alpern. Here is a blurb from the Pittsburgh Gazette on March 11, 1911, under the heading HANS WAGNER TO LEAVE TODAY FOR HOT SPRINGS--note the last line:

So if the photo is from 1911, or if Alpern made a trip with the team to Hot Springs in 1910, he may be the guy--although it will likely be tough to come up with a photo of him from that time for comparison.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Al

Todd, I bet you've got it.

-Al
Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Here is an image of his son Philip, similar nose, and facial features.

http://ak-cache.legacy.net/legacy/im...000000253e563c

Last edited by sb1; 03-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Bry@n

Nice, looking like it is Louis Alpern assuming he looks anything like his son. I wonder if the Post Gazette's archives or the Pittsburgh Historical Society (http://pittsburghistoricalsociety.com/) would have a photo.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yep, we expect a photo by Wednesday.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Here ya go, it's sketchy but it's a picture.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3709,8208245

aka Squire Alpern

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 03-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Caleb Hardwick

This is quite interesting. I've done extensive research on Whittington Park in Hot Springs and I can guarantee that this photo is at least 1911 or later based on the location of the grandstand. I would say 1911 is the most likely date, and the player indeed is in a Pittsburgh uniform.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 AM

LOTG auction is live today, some killer stuff.

Good luck, Al!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Bry@n

Did anyone ever find a photo of the squire from the right time period?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Todd Schultz

Not quite yet, but here is some more info. LOTG lot 3 is a photo that appeared in the 3/26/1911 edition of the Pittsburgh Gazette, and also appears to show the same sweater that Clarke was wearing in our mystery photo, perhaps lending further support for a 1911 Spring Training date in the latter.

Edited to add that the newspaper photo was not just published but also was taken in March, 2011, as seen in the same 3/26 Gazette:

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-07-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:28 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
DJ looks to be on fire. Seems that Honus was not at Hot Springs in 1909 either, so the photo is from 1910 or later.

BTW, thanks to a kind board member (angelpece) for digging up a tidbit that keeps me in the running with my guess of magistrate Louis Alpern.
Board member (angelpece) helped me with some research I was doing on Whitey Ford back in December. He's turning out to be quite the detective for our modest board. Well done!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Al

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd take a moment to introduce you all to Louis Alpern, Pittsburgh alderman and police magistrate.

Alpern was part of a group of nine people that included Tommy Leach and Barney Dreyfus, who headed down to Hot Springs, Arkansas in March of 1911 to join the Pirates at Spring Training.

An article in the March 14, 1911 issue of the Pittsburgh Gazette not only makes reference to Alpern's being at Spring Training, but in a single paragraph, refers to A) how Alpern got a Pirates uniform, B) the 14-pound medicine ball in the background of the photo, and C) the players having fun at the non-players' expense!

You can read the whole story here.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled to extend a $200 auction credit to Todd, who's "wild theory" turned out to be completely accurate! Todd's research also puts a date on the cabinet photo that is Lot #3 in the current auction, which we had dated to 1910, but is actually 1911.

Congrats, Todd!

Catalogs mailed to active bidders yesterday, and anyone who tried digging into this puzzle is sure to love the cover!

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 03-11-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Bry@n

Thanks for the update Al. Todd, nice work!

Al, no prize for guessing the conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
...The picture seems like it follows someone saying "You think you can catch it?" to the guy in the middle as if he isn't a player - with Clarke acting like the guy is clearly going to drop it and Wagner shrugging because he isn't too confident...