NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Wow. That’s what we call a teaser in the film industry. Not that I am in the film industry. No way this baby is ending anytime soon.
Not a teaser. I said last night that I have a lot more to say. Whether or not it ends anytime soon is up to others.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but David's post sounds like, stop defending Al or I'll make you wish you hadn't. That seems inappropriate. On the other hand, the how dare you question Al posts are also inappropriate. David, if you have relevant information, I think you should put it out there and we can evaluate it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Info

Are they bombs, grenades, or firecrackers?
If they really are bombs, let’s have it..
Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
David, if you have relevant information, I think you should put it out there and we can evaluate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
If they really are bombs, let’s have it..
I'm not going to keep this thread going for entertainment purposes. Whether is stays going is up to others.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Who said anything about entertainment? If you have information relevant to the community's assessment of the issues you should put it out there, rather than just calling attention to yourself ("I have two bombs to drop") and putting the onus on others.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who said anything about entertainment? If you have information relevant to the community's assessment of the issues you should put it out there, rather than just calling attention to yourself ("I have two bombs to drop") and putting the onus on others.
Agreed, the sanctimonious post about how you had explosive information to share but were too righteous to do so.... yet then repeatedly letting us know you have such information is a real eye roller.

Last edited by Stonepony; 01-13-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Dulcolax may help.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Steven

It sounds to me that David may be referring to a certain person or persons to simply shut up or he will drop the bombs...is this blackmail? Ie, I have this information and you will do this or I will ruin someone?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
It sounds to me that David may be referring to a certain person or persons to simply shut up or he will drop the bombs...is this blackmail? Ie, I have this information and you will do this or I will ruin someone?
You guys are reading way too much into this. I mentioned last night that I had more information to share. Re-read post #310. All I'm saying is that I'm going to shut up about the matter. If Al's defenders want to do the same, we can let this thread die. If not, well that's up to them.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
LMFAO!

Thank you Jeff. Thank you.
+1 - I had to stop and clear coffee off my screen ... classic!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Last night, a board member emailed me a pic - a pic they said would corroborate Al's story. They asked me not to share it publically. Well, I'm a man of integrity and I haven't shared it publically or privately - not even a description of the pic. I kept it totally to myself. Here's the kicker. The pic that was supposed to corroborate Al's story, actually shreds it to pieces.

Post the damn pic and let's end this.

It's funny how so many people came to Al's defense, but the two that could have confirmed everything - the member that got the 10 cards by mistake and the other member that got the OM and damaged it - well we haven't heard from them at all. Nobody else finds that odd?

Again, post the damn pic.
So who has the pic?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Mike Kendall

I became hooked on this thread two days ago. Thanks to all involved. It's been like binge watching Breaking Bad. If you could guarantee me this thread (or one just as interesting) would run non-stop, I could cancel my Direct TV subscription and save a lot of money.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The two people who are involved in that don’t want to be involved here in Net54, and since I am an honorable man I would never post “the damn pic” without their permission. Seriously it’s a box with dated labels and a tracking number that absolutely 100% corroborates Al’s story. The tracking number gives away the hometown of the guy who accidentally received the cards. There is no way it’s getting posted and you know that.
Cant some personal info just be covered and the pic exposed? I mean, this what David is hinging everything on, why not just end all of this so Al can go on being the honest AH owner we know he is? Like many others, I feel like I am really really missing something here..

There was no OM brown...
Cards were accidentally shipped to the wrong person...
LOTG got the cards regarded which seems like the right thing...
What possibly could be in this pic?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Cant some personal info just be covered and the pic exposed? I mean, this what David is hinging everything on, why not just end all of this so Al can go on being the honest AH owner we know he is? Like many others, I feel like I am really really missing something here..

There was no OM brown...
Cards were accidentally shipped to the wrong person...
LOTG got the cards regarded which seems like the right thing...
What possibly could be in this pic?

Miss Scarlet in the dining room with the revolver of course!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
I still have 2 more bombs to drop.
It’s hard to follow what you’re saying, David, because you’re jumping around a lot. Maybe you should check yo self. Are you saying word to your moms, you came to drop bombs, you got more rhymes than the Bible’s got psalms? Or that you’re droppin bombs on ya moms, f**k car alarms?

But seriously, I admire you’re dedication to campaigning, but I promise you, even though we’re only two weeks into the new year, you’ve already locked up the Net54 “Biggest Douche of 2018” award. There’s not going to be any legitimate competetition. You can stop posting any time. You’ve already won.

-Ryan
Old 01-13-2018, 11:04 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCabron View Post
It’s hard to follow what you’re saying, David, because you’re jumping around a lot. Maybe you should check yo self. Are you saying word to your moms, you came to drop bombs, you got more rhymes than the Bible’s got psalms? Or that you’re droppin bombs on ya moms, f**k car alarms?

But seriously, I admire you’re dedication to campaigning, but I promise you, even though we’re only two weeks into the new year, you’ve already locked up the Net54 “Biggest Douche of 2018” award. There’s not going to be any legitimate competetition. You can stop posting any time. You’ve already won.

-Ryan
...unless it's just another bombtrack.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I been off for a day or so. Guess i was wrong to think that there may of been more than just providing ALL the cards to the OP plus offering more given what I read. I had thought it may of at least appeared more complicated than that. Sorry to question that. Guess i was wrong.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-13-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I think the postmark is dated for the same day this thread was started at 8:30 PM. So I think without question the check was mailed before this thread was started. Unless you know of a post office open that late.

So now please tell me what does Al gain by not sending out a lot of common T206 cards. And I can only think that with you keeping this conspiracy going that you, Orlando and perhaps the OP who is sending you scans of the envelope must think he was getting a brown Old Mill card in that lot.

Edited to add: I didn’t include Jake Lieberman because I’m not even sure he knows what he thinks. What law school allowed that guy to graduate???
If you stamp your own mail at home or office you can manipulate the time pretty easily for backdating etc. Not saying that happened but just general knowledge in those situations when not done at the post office.

Thanks for not including me. Like i stated earlier, sorry for questioning the process early on.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-13-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Hi Joe- NYC Dinner Thread?
Michael - I haven't been here in a while.... but if I remember correctly, just about any thread is vulnerable to turning into a NYC Dinner Thread.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Dan Bretta

I have the pic of the box the cards were returned in that includes a tracking number. Al sent it to me so I could provide it to David so he could get over this conspiracy theory. I will not post it here because the tracking number would likely give away the person who received the cards and he does not want to be involved and there is no need for him to be involved. The tracking number and dates corroborate Al's story, I guess it's up to you guys if you want to believe the "Bomb dropper" or Al.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I agree. For the record, I have never met Al, have never dealt with Al (as far as I can remember) and have no axe to grind with him. Let me be crystal clear. I don't think Al is a bad guy - maybe a little shady, but I don't think he's a crook. It was never personal. It wasn't a smear campaign against Al.

On the other hand, this thread quickly turned to a smear campaign against the OP and I just wasn't going to let that happen. He did nothing wrong. I've never met the OP either. I think I may have dealt with him in the past (his name sounds familar), but I really don't remember. Either way, I would have done the same thing for anybody who was wrongfully attacked.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be over with and done. But if those that keep running their mouths want to continue to do so, we can keep it going. Let me be crystal clear about something else. I still have 2 more bombs to drop. I'm willing to keep those to myself and keep my mouth shut and nothing more will ever be said. But if some want to continue this we can. It doesn't matter to me.

Over or done? It's y'alls choice.
David, really???
Old 01-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Steve Murray

I know who A, B and M are but who is this Al guy?

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 01-13-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not to be read as any sort of judgement, just a look at the envelope from a stamp collector.

That cancel is mostly illegible. But like anything post office around the holidays stuff can and does get messed up.
here's what it should look like.

Depending on when it went in the box, and the pickup schedule of the box, it could have been cancelled later than mailed.

The DV Daniels is a distribution center, located in Kearney.
Most mailboxes have the last pickup at 4:30 or so, a lot in that part of NJ are 4:30 so a letter dropped after that on the 29th wouldn't be picked up until Saturday the 30th.
Sunday, Monday is the 31st, Tuesday the 1st, so the first likely day it got dealt with at the processing center would be the 2nd. If the box wasn't collected - shouldn't happen, but shorthanded on a holiday? Maybe. It would be the same.

Oddly, I can't read that cancel as 02 Jan.

But the 8th or 9th shouldn't be correct either, as the last day for the happy holidays cancel was supposed to be the 5th
https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/postmarks.htm

A bit of a puzzle, If I was looking at the envelope for my collection, I might set it aside as a possible late use of the computer generated cancel.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Sorry for the giant pic, I guess the bit of the website it's on that makes it a reasonable size but enlargeable didn't translate.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I have the pic of the box the cards were returned in that includes a tracking number. Al sent it to me so I could provide it to David so he could get over this conspiracy theory. I will not post it here because the tracking number would likely give away the person who received the cards and he does not want to be involved and there is no need for him to be involved. The tracking number and dates corroborate Al's story, I guess it's up to you guys if you want to believe the "Bomb dropper" or Al.
I gave you a chance to drop this, but obviously you're just not that smart. I don't need the tracking number to make my point. If that's you're excuse, edit out the tracking number and post the pic. You'd been better off keeping your stupid mouth shut.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Kenny Cole

Please let this thread die like it already should have. There is no further point to me made and everyone who has felt the need to voice their opinion has had their chance. Now it has just devolved into a collection of silly comments and guys who feel the need to engage in dick measuring. Please let it go.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Welp...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Sorry for the giant pic, I guess the bit of the website it's on that makes it a reasonable size but enlargeable didn't translate.
How about deleting it then?
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Maybe tomorrow when I have some time to download/resize/upload etc.

Or if it bugs you that much you could repost it smaller and I'll delete the big one
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Leon...
Why?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Bill Gregory

Here you go, Steve. I resized it, and played with the levels in Photoshop so it was easier to read.

As for this discussion, I've actually spent the last hour reading each post. Mistakes happen, guys. We live in an imperfect world. I've not yet done business with Al, but would not hesitate to do so. In a hobby where there are so many unscrupulous people, Al is one of the truly good guys. He's earned the benefit of the doubt with his professionalism, and the transparency he's exhibited here is refreshing.

I understand the OP's frustration, and perhaps posting this did expedite the resolution of the issue at hand. But we have to always remember that, when an issue like this arises, it is not just one person who is affected. And, when we go public, we run the risk of damaging the reputation of the principles involved. And then things can quickly spiral out of control; piling on happens, and bickering and infighting that should be beneath all of us ensues.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Here you go, Steve. I resized it, and played with the levels in Photoshop so it was easier to read.

As for this discussion, I've actually spent the last hour reading each post. Mistakes happen, guys. We live in an imperfect world. I've not yet done business with Al, but would not hesitate to do so. In a hobby where there are so many unscrupulous people, Al is one of the truly good guys. He's earned the benefit of the doubt with his professionalism, and the transparency he's exhibited here is refreshing.

I understand the OP's frustration, and perhaps posting this did expedite the resolution of the issue at hand. But we have to always remember that, when an issue like this arises, it is not just one person who is affected. And, when we go public, we run the risk of damaging the reputation of the principles involved. And then things can quickly spiral out of control; piling on happens, and bickering and infighting that should be beneath all of us ensues.
right that's why if I was an AH and made a mistake I would communicate fast with the concerned buyer and be transparent to avoid them posting on a forum. If the concerned buyer posted after just a few days or was threatening to post after a day or so etc, I do think the plight of the auction house and their post mistake actions would have been universally defended. Guess lesson learned for all

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-14-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I understand the OP's frustration, and perhaps posting this did expedite the resolution of the issue at hand.
"perhaps"? cards that went missing for a month suddenly were found. a refund check that hadn't arrived in nearly two weeks was received. both after this thread was started.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Look, this thread has jumped the shark big time.

Last year I gave Al a $30,000 card that I thought was undergraded. He agreed to submit it and paid out of his pocket to have it looked at. They came back and said they wouldn't change the grade. Card was listed. Al literally had the nicest card in my collection for 3 months. Never for one second did I have a modicum of concern about where the card was. Because Al's integrity is beyond question.

And if I'm not mistaken this thread is about a missing $25 card. What utter bullsh*T. Let me see if I understand this:

Al sells a few million dollars of cards a year. He has a tremendous amount of respect in the industry. But is going to risk all of that over a $25 card?

Ask your self if that makes any sense. It doesn't.

Move on. Mistakes happen. This has just gotten stupid on top of stupid. And I have no issue with the OP. When things go wrong we get frustrated. I get it. But enough with the silly conspiracy theories.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Move on. Mistakes happen. This has just gotten stupid on top of stupid. And I have no issue with the OP. When things go wrong we get frustrated. I get it. But enough with the silly conspiracy theories.
This. Al has done more for the hobby than the Axle of Asshattery and all the other ankle-biters combined. You guys are just making yourselves look neurotic. LOTG is an honest AH. That is an article of faith with me. More than you can say for a lot of the competition. There was a perfect storm of little screw-ups; it does not make Al "shady". Give the man a break. Would love to see this thread locked.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
This. Al has done more for the hobby than the Axle of Asshattery and all the other ankle-biters combined. You guys are just making yourselves look neurotic. LOTG is an honest AH. That is an article of faith with me. More than you can say for a lot of the competition. There was a perfect storm of little screw-ups; it does not make Al "shady". Give the man a break. Would love to see this thread locked.
It doesn't appear after all the explanations that anything was 'shady' but it does appear some explanations were needed. Cant fault people for questioning some things. The listing description in the auction listing may of also been not quite accurate as well which was yet another issue.

Everyone is not black or white. Great people or companies make mistakes which doesn't define them. However, when mistakes happen transparency and explanations may be necessary according to at least some people
Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
It doesn't appear after all the explanations that anything was 'shady' but it does appear some explanations were needed. Cant fault people for questioning some things. The listing description in the auction listing may of also been not quite accurate as well which was yet another issue.

Everyone is not black or white. Great people or companies make mistakes which doesn't define them. However, when mistakes happen transparency and explanations may be necessary according to at least some people
I agree. Good people make mistakes. An explanations were given. But for one or two people they were never enough. Started to feel like Kennedy and the grassy knoll here, 9/11 truthers, or the "faked" moon landing. Every time an explanation was given some one countered with a what if. Really enough.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
+1 David, great post...
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As far as I can tell everything has been worked out by the most vested parties. I am going to take my good friend Kawika's advice and let this thread die a dignified death. If anyone can't live with this decision please pm me and we can chat about it. Thanks all.