NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Now that it's done, a rare Sociedade Industrial Babe Ruth card

It just finished, didn't want to out it before it was done. I bid on it, and maybe some of you did as well. Maybe one of you whippersnappers won it! I thought it might have been trimmed on the bottom after comparing it to the only other example I found. Otherwise, these cards were not printed the exact same, and either contained a different amount of the image, or were not the same size.

The 1928 Tabacalera La Morena Babe Ruth uses the same image, aside from whatever that tinting is. The only example I've seen of that is also short top to bottom when compared to the example at Lelands (below). The Tabacalera La Morena can be found here:
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=110289

Lelands example of 1928 Sociedade Industrial RUTH: http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...(PSA-EX-MT-6_5)

eBay example that just finished:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-Bab...p2047675.l2557

Anyone know anything else about these?

Last edited by npa589; 03-10-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was watching it but have a few already. It wasn't a steal but was a good price. The one that was posted on the board, previous to this, was a really good deal.... I thought.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The seller had a bunch of cards from the set for sale including boxing, hockey, tennis and some other sports. The Dempsey cards had some killer prices: Anywhere from $342 for an action scene to $907 for the solo pose.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And of course I am biased but this is one of my favorite ones...

Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM
N.ate A.dams

Leon......I can see why that would be one of your favorites. What a card! It's really an intriguing set.

I found it neat that the seller was in Portugal, where I presume these were distributed, among other Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries.

I was really surprised by the prices of the Dempsey examples as well Adam.

Last edited by npa589; 03-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

BTW the set has to be a late 1928 issue at earliest because there is a card from the Tunney-Heeney fight from July 1928.

Dempsey stuff has been doing really well lately. Don't know why

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I won the Webb and the Harper, but my snipe didn't quite win the Ruth.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
BTW the set has to be a late 1928 issue at earliest because there is a card from the Tunney-Heeney fight from July 1928.

Dempsey stuff has been doing really well lately. Don't know why
I think there is a chance it could have been a multi-year set. Here is a NY Times I have from April 1927.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg po1927nytimesruthcobb.jpg (77.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I won the Ruth card. Definitely not a steal like the one Leon won especially since the seller marked the condition as Very Good, so not sure if there's some damage to the card like scrapbook residue. Not sure if it's cut short either. I guess I'll see when I get the card in. At least, it's affordable compared to the Leland's one, which was graded in much better condition, however, and will match the Tabacalera one that I won from Legendary (crossed over to PSA). (Thanks for not outing the auction! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928_tabacalera_98_ruth_front.jpg (77.8 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by glchen; 03-11-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

The image on that card is so cool, it is beyond cool.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

That's a great image. It's also on a magazine cover from April 1927.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27ruthcobb478130.jpg (73.4 KB, 187 views)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
That's a great image. It's also on a magazine cover from April 1927.
Very interesting but not surprising. In small letters on that cover it says it was published by the NY Times. I guess they had the photo that was used.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Outing, again

Are you really "outing" something in a Legendary Auction? Can you "out" something in an REA auction? To me, you can't. I can understand an Ebay auction where the item is in the wrong category or something, but not a major auction house. I think the board members lose when there is no discussion on items while there's still time to make an informed decision. Just one dude's opinion...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM
pete ullman

What a great shot of the babe and cobb late in his career!!!!! I wonder if the babe learned anything!!!?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
What a great shot of the babe and cobb late in his career!!!!! I wonder if the babe learned anything!!!?
Maybe don't hold bats by your crotch

Or not...
Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
N.ate A.dams

The use of outing in this case was specifically attributed to not making others aware of the ongoing eBay auction. By definition, if there was a baseball-card-dictionary, I surmise that "outing" would be an advertisement for any auction other than that put forth by the seller or auction house.
That would mean outing a T206 COBB in a REA auction. The thing that I think people have a problem is not with the "outing" in general, but instead with how successful the "outing" of the auction is, with this success being determined by the percentage increase of added exposure an item receives contrary to what it would have received had it not been "outed". Clearly, outing a T206 Cobb in an REA auction will add no dramatic percentage increase in viewership.

Outing an authentic T206 Cobb on eBay that was titled "nice cadr, been in collction lon timg frmo gpa" in the Knitting category when you and one other person were the only 2 people who had come across it, well, would be rather infuriating to the other person.

Basically Geno, for the most part, I agree you with regard to the "outing" of REA auctions or other major auction houses. There may be certain situations though where even auctions in major auction houses may go unnoticed by 1 person, which could save one person thousands of dollars. Frequently, when we're all bidding on things, it ends up between 1 or 2 buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
Are you really "outing" something in a Legendary Auction? Can you "out" something in an REA auction? To me, you can't. I can understand an Ebay auction where the item is in the wrong category or something, but not a major auction house. I think the board members lose when there is no discussion on items while there's still time to make an informed decision. Just one dude's opinion...

Take Care,
Geno

Last edited by npa589; 03-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

2.5x the height of a quarter -- must have gone for .65 cents

Quote:

Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Ken Wirt

Does anyone else notice the slight difference in the viewing angle between the card's image and the one from the magazine cover, particularly with the Babe's head? Probably multiple shots taken.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Does anyone else notice the slight difference in the viewing angle between the card's image and the one from the magazine cover, particularly with the Babe's head? Probably multiple shots taken.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Also, Ty has on a bigger smile on the magazine cover than on the card. I bet it was multiple shots...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Outing, again

Nate --

Good points, and I agree with them. The only issue I would add is that we assume "outing" an auction costs the winner thousands of dollars potentially. However, the counterpoint is also valid. If somebody wins something for a substantial amount, only to find it was not what it was presented as (fake, trimmed, etc), then "outing" it by discussing it on N54 would have saved the potential winner that same $$. I know there's no answer that would be widely accepted, however I wouldn't mind if somebody chimed in on something I was bidding on if they thought it was "not as advertised." Even if it's questionable, it makes all bidders more knowledgable and reflects in the final price.

And btw, I missed in my original post that it was an Ebay auction. I clicked on the Legendary link and thought we were talking about that one. I need to read more carefully before responding! It doesn't change my thoughts, but just wanted to clarify why my first response may not have made sense!

Take Care,
Geno

Last edited by HercDriver; 03-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
I think there is a chance it could have been a multi-year set. Here is a NY Times I have from April 1927.....
I Agee with Adam, I won the hockey card...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-Canad...vip=true&rt=nc
I'm pretty sure this is depicting the final game of the 1928 St moritz Olympic Games between Canada and Switzerland. I don't think they were a multi year set because if they were updating this or the Tabacalera set we would see different cards with the same number.

That being said I actually prefer the Tabacalera La Morena set with its terrible tinting than the Portugese issue.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was an underbidder on that one Rhett; great card. Can you ID any of the players yet?

Or not...