NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 AM
John

Default Knute Rockne's playing days

One of the 35 Chicle cards I always kind of thought of as "out of place" was the Rockne, but I'm reading "Football's Rag Days" and it mentioned he played end for the Massillon Tigers from 1915 to 1917 (they even tied Canton for the title in 15). This ties Rockne back to the very early days of pro football which I think is pretty cool. The interview was with Jack Cusack who I had never heard of. Cusack had a pretty incredible memory as his chapter is filled with lots of specifics. He was a friend of Jim Thorpe and gives a nice account of Thorpe's time with the Canton Bulldogs.

One point that was made was that Rockne played under his own name. But I was wondering, since I think he took the ND job in 18, could he have continued to play any additional pro football? I assume ND wouldn't have liked it, so possibly under an assumed name?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 05-21-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Jeff P

Hi John,

It's possible Rockne played later under an assumed name later on. Many players did that in the early days of pro football ... particularly if they were either college players or college coaches.

Jack Cusak was more than Thorpe's friend. He was the Manager of the Canton Bulldogs and orchestrated the signing of Thorpe in 1915. He wrote a small book/pamphlet on his time at Canton that a lot of the more recent articles / books are based on. I have a copy and it documents his years at Canton.

jeff
Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM
John

Thanks Jeff - I was counting on you to tie my post to something hobby related. Is the image you posted the cover of Cusack's pamphlet? In theory, there may be a Massillon program listing Rockne as a player - have you ever seen such an item? It would be an interesting challenge to dig up if Rockne ever played while he was ND coach. I think it was Greasy Neale who came out and said - yeah I played as "Foster" or something like that.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Jeff P

No, his pamphlet cover is nondescript. The picture I posted is a composite piece from the 1916 season comprised of individual photos of team players. Here is one of my favorites

jeff
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM
John

Very nice piece - coming up on 100th anniversary.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM
John

Default New Article

I may have to talk to Bob about a commission as I continue to advertise GridIron Greats This is my last post for the Winter 2015 issue. It includes an article by Jeff entitled "1916 Canton Bulldogs: A Push For A Championship - Part I". And I knew the visuals in the article looked familiar, so I had to dig up this thread.

Jeff, on the PSA set registry, in the write-up for my 35 Rockne, I mention that Rockne played on the 1915 Massillon Tigers Championship Team. Now when I look back at my original post, I mention a tie, so I guess the Tigers never won an outright title with Rockne, so maybe I was liberal in giving him credit for that one. What do you think? Naming a champion is always somewhat subjective in the pre-league days and without a playoff, I guess it didn't really get cleaned up until 32. Great article - looking forward to Part II.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-21-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Jeff P

Glad you liked it, John! As I mention in the article, the "champs" in the Ohio League were always based on public opinion which means sometimes there was no clear cut champ. In particular, the Youngstown Patricians are often cited as the champs in 1915 because they had the best record of the Ohio teams that were considered at the highest level of play. However, the Patricians did not play either Massillon or Canton that year! Massillon and Canton split their two games and also each lost to another team.

Patricians 8 - 0 - 1
Canton 5 - 2
Massillon 5 - 2

public opinion was split between these three teams. Fans of the Patricians argued that they were undefeated and beat the Washington Vigilantes who were often considered a top notch non-Ohio team. Canton won the last game against Massillon and when teams split, it was generally thought that the team who won the second game won the season series. HOWEVER, the Canton win in that second game was highly controversial. That is a whole other story.

jeff
Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Another good book on this is The Sunday Game by Keith McClellan - he says Rockne played pro ball for the Akron Indians in 1914, the Massillon Tigers 1915-1917, and the Fort Wayne Friars 1916-1917. Rockne's favorable view of pro football made him an outcast when he coached Notre Dame, which combined with anti-Catholic bias, kept them off the schedule of many other schools and forced them to travel great distances to find opponents. Likewise West Point was outcast because some of their players had already completed four years of football at other colleges before going to West Point. These two outcasts joined forces for one of the most popular of all college rivalries.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 AM
John

Thanks Jeff - wow the Youngstown Patricians - there's a team I really wouldn't have known was in the mix with the two power houses.

Mike, thanks for the great info, another book to add to my reading list.

Jeff, the photos on the cover of the pamphlet... those look an awful lot like football cards - in fact I've seen that same design before (58 Topps comes to mind), but their not stuck to the pamphlet cover, right?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Jeff, the photos on the cover of the pamphlet... those look an awful lot like football cards - in fact I've seen that same design before (58 Topps comes to mind), but their not stuck to the pamphlet cover, right?
It's not a pamphlet, John. It's a composite piece put together to commemorate the Bulldogs in 1916. Those are original photos attached to the composite. if you look at the Thorpe you will see the raised edge along the left side.

I was kidding around with another collector after I bought this piece that I should cut it up and make a 1916 Canton Bulldogs card set for the registry when it struck me that doing an article that included info on each of the players and cropping out their individual "cards" to show would be really cool. That's how I started working on the article that's in GG now.

jeff
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM
John

Thanks Jeff - I get it now.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 AM
John

Jeff, nice job finishing up part II of the 16 Bulldogs article - my favorite part was when you documented Thorpe's 71 yd punt return TD.

On a related note, the new GG has more articles then I ever remember - good to see it going strong as I've noticed Coffin Corner has been a little light recently. Are you expected to churn out an article ever issue since you're a contributor?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 04-30-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That composite is incredible
Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Jeff P

Thanks guys and glad you liked the article. It was fun to put together.

I'm not committing to writing an article each issue but want to continue to contribute as I can. Gridiron Greats is an excellent magazine and its fun to write stuff up for it.

jeff