NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Default The VBC Buy/Sell/Trade/Rent Index

Posted By: identify7

How would you like to have a t206 Wagner for a while? A Peck & Snyder, or lots of other cards whose scans you have seen on this forum?

We have participants on this board who are simply sitting back watching their cards appreciate while they sit, not fully appreciated, in a safe deposit box. Why not offer to share some of your appreciation for these lonely cards?

Of course you would likely be required to post a bond and pay rental, but you could potentially hang out with some of the icon cards of this hobby for a while.

I know Leon is not anxious to change things, but this post represents the first in a grassroots movement to share in the joys of this hobby (eventhough your trailer rental is past due). So lets organize and put together a petition to the top brass!

Come on, owners and renters alike! Join us now!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I could easily uproot your grassroots effort here but won't. I am not really interested in renting or leasing any of my cards out but I am game to see what others think. BTW, let's say I did want to. If someone wanted to rent the FBH Kelly should I make them buy insurance? What if they lost it? God forbid what if something happened to the renter/leasor? I think there are too many issues with your scenario....but hey....who knows?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

While your idea is interesting, I think the line of excited volunteers will be very short. I have a hard enough time sending cards to graders. There is a very short list of people on this board who I would trust sending stuff to.

Additionally, I wouldn't want to be resposible for Hal's Wagner, Leon's FBH Kelly, or BCD's Tango Eggs Cobb etc...

Old 09-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

a massive gold ring with a sapphire carved like a signet ring--for a month...no strings, no cash...long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Old 09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Of course Leon you could force our grassroots effort underground. And we all appreciate you (sometimes reluctantly) entertaining new ideas. As far as "how would it work" Id like to say ... well, Ive been thinking about this for some time now and ... But there was very little lag time between when the idea first occured to me, and its appeasrance here.

I would think though that insurance would be necessary, if this idea is even feasible. But Leon, no company is likely to insure this sort of transaction - or are they? Id imagine that a cash or equivalent bond would have to be put up. Actually, Id probably like to have a brief visit with many of the cards which Ive seen here. But how much would I be willing to pay to visit with them for a month? Probably more than you think, Id venture as a guess.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As much as I like to think outside the box I just don't see this being too feasible. I know I am always a little "anxious" until someone receives something expensive that I have sent or vice versa. Part of it is the monetary value and part of it is the irreplacable nature of some of the cards we all own. Actually I wouldn't really mind someone else enjoying my cards for a little while either...though I wouldn't charge for that.....still too many issues though.....regards

Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I can not argue those points, Leon. Certainly the motivation of the card owner would not be the rental money. Nor would either party want to risk a friend loosing equity in his home, or other asset. And it is certainly true that in many instances the card involved may not be replacable, at any price.

This may not be feasible. Or at least may not be feasible for some cards (I have a '54 Topps Snider for rent - in condition that noone is likely to devalue). Thank you for exploring the thought, Leon, Julie, Anson and others who considered it.

Please feel free everyone to continue to play with the idea, and contribute your thoughts, if applicable.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

We could always get together at the National and share a few cards or something? I don't know. It seems a little less risky and would give a few of us the opportunity to see some of these gems up close.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Renting sounds like a great way to make enemies and create unresolvable disputes. If someone was willing to pay top dollar to get a card that was otherwise not available, couldn't he rent it, say it was lost or stolen, then pay the full market value (which he would have been happy to do in the first place) and now own a card that was previously not for sale. This is just looking for trouble. How about sharing online images? Much better idea.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Is that every time I make a card purchase, I am in effect "renting" the card for either a few years - or a few decades. In any case - I'm not planning on taking the cards with me when I go, so my purchase price is, theoretically, a one-time lump payment for the right to lease the asset for as long as I like. When I decide to sell, that is my "residual" payment - unless my son comes to like cards, in which case he can just have them [most of them, anyway]

Old 09-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

But Marc- You are buying the card from someone who wants to sell it. The renter specifically does not want to sell his card and presumably wants it back. A bad idea.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike W

I thought it was kind of funny to find this thread- because I was recently thinking about the exact same thing. Although I think the points that many of you have raised explain how this may not run smoothly.

An annual "show and tell"?

Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Imagine what would happen to card prices if this actually worked. People would no longer fgure how much they could afford based on what their bank account is, but they would also be factoring in rent money. What was once a $10k now would become a $50k card.

Personally, there is no appeal to renting a card. It's kind of like renting a Ferrari. No one cares if you rented one, only if you owned it.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Not like a Ferrari Jay, more like a bimbo. Why buy one when you can rent a new one every week.

Edited to add: And no one cares if you have owned a Ferrari. They only care if you have one now.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

I'll stick to looking at pictures of cards I'll never own. I wouldn't mind holding on to a T206 Wagner, but I don't need to actually rent one for a week. Interesting idea, but that's just my two cents.

Jimi

Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

What I would really like to see is a National Vintage Baseball Card Hall of Fame located within a site that would indepently be worthy of a visit , such as the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville, Kentucky. A site that could handle the responsibilty of managing the exhibits and a place card collectors could lend their cards knowing they would be protected and insured and seen by a great many visitors. Annual conventions could be held to buy and sell vintage cards and the exhibits could change as collectors decide to showcase their cards. I would love to see many of these cards in person but would never ever want to be responsible for someone else's pride and joy.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...at least with T206 (because of their liquidity and relative price stability) is sort of taking a mortgage out on your baseball cards with other collectors.

Scenario:

You want $500 for whatever reason, but you do not want to sell your cards. So you give me your T206 Red Back Cobb in SGC 50 condition and I give you $500. You have until December 1 to purchase the Cobb back from me for $600. If you do not give me the money by December 1, I get to keep (or foreclose on) the card.

Obviously the numbers and dates can all be adjusted, but there have been times I would like to take a loan out against my cards, rather than sell, because I want the money for other baseball cards.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

T206Collector - I have done that exact thing successfully with coins twice.
Successfully = I came up with the money both times, but both times there was zero markup. It was simply collateral in lieu of immediate payment, with a short (2 mos + 3 mos) grace interval. But the collateral was approximately 125% of the purchase value.