NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Jeff C.

Default Card shops in Houston

Traveling to Houston in a couple of days. Any good card shops in the area? Obviously, pre-war and vintage is the primary focus. Thought I saw a thread on this awhile back, but I couldn't locate it. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A quick Google search is always handy for a bit of info... I have no idea how good they are as I don't know the places. (I moved from Houston almost exactly 30 yrs ago.) I doubt many are around from then. These all have websites so you might check them out...

Houston Sports Connection
4 reviews · Sports Card Store
Sports card shop with a variety of vintage & new releases, plus novelty items such as caps & gloves.
12280 Westheimer Rd
(281) 589-9600
Opens at 11:00 AM

Sports Collectibles of Houston
1 review · Sports Card Store
Baseball card enthusiasts hit this spot for collectibles & autographed sports memorabilia.
Maplewood Mall
5637 Beechnut St
(713) 721-0075

Tri Star Productions
4025 Willowbend Blvd # 312
(713) 666-9595
Open until 5:30 PM

Card Shack

Store specializing in trading-card decks & accessories, with tables set up for tournaments.
13429 Woodforest Blvd
(832) 831-6179

· Trading Card Store
Store specializing in trading-card decks & accessories, with tables set up for tournaments.
13429 Woodforest Blvd
(832) 831-6179
Opens at 12:00 PM

Headline Sports
1213 Boyles St
(713) 672-2793

Field of Dreams
3 reviews · $$$ · Sports Memorabilia Store
The Galleria
5085 Westheimer Rd #3650
(713) 439-0198
Opens at 10:00 AM

Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Rich Klein

My fading memory says Sports Collectibles of Houston closed last year

And here is the newspaper story which verifies that memory

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...of-6103944.php

Rich
Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Yes, Sports Collectibles of Houston closed last year. The only 'real' card shop left is Houston Sports Connection. If you're looking for pre-war, you'll have to ask to see it. He keeps most of it put away in the back. His asking prices on the pre-war are a little high, but he could care less if he sells it or not (that's why it's kept in the back). For everything post-war, he has a good selection.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Jeff C.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Rich Klein

Howard Lau, presuming he still owns Houston Sports Connection has been around forever and is a good person. You'd enjoy chatting with him at the very least
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Rob

Sportscards and Coins may still have a booth at The Market Place on Old Katy Rd. 10910, 10940 Old Katy Rd. My parents owned that flea market many years ago and he had lots of 50's cards at the time. Not sure if they are still open. I think it's still a weekend mall.

There was a coin shop in Rice Village that had some T202's in a display case about 10 years ago. Not sure if they are still there. On Times Blvd I think.

There was a shopping center space way out Westheimer past the Beltway that had newer cards in display cases and I didn't ask any questions and left. I thought it wasn't there the last time I passed by, but I may be mistaken or it may be further out than the one on Westheimer that y'all are talking about. Rob
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Howard Lau, presuming he still owns Houston Sports Connection has been around forever and is a good person. You'd enjoy chatting with him at the very least
Yes, Howard still owns it. I concur, he is a good guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Sportscards and Coins may still have a booth at The Market Place on Old Katy Rd. 10910, 10940 Old Katy Rd. My parents owned that flea market many years ago and he had lots of 50's cards at the time. Not sure if they are still open. I think it's still a weekend mall.
I was in there about a year ago. He still has some sports cards (mostly modern), but mostly coins. Before that, it had been several years since I'd been in there and he had a much better selection back then.

Quote:
There was a coin shop in Rice Village that had some T202's in a display case about 10 years ago. Not sure if they are still there. On Times Blvd I think.
That is Houston Numismatic Exchange. It's been years since I've been in there. Probably 95% coins, 5% cards. It was hit or miss on the cards, just whatever they happened to have in inventory at the time. Again, their main focus is coins.

Quote:
There was a shopping center space way out Westheimer past the Beltway that had newer cards in display cases and I didn't ask any questions and left. I thought it wasn't there the last time I passed by, but I may be mistaken or it may be further out than the one on Westheimer that y'all are talking about. Rob
Houston Sports Connection is on Westheimer just outside the Beltway, but probably not the shop you're talking about. There used to be another one on Westheimer past Hwy 6 (going west). That's probably the one you're talking about - mostly newer cards - but they didn't last long.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Rich Klein

I will also mention that there are a couple of small decent shows in Houston each month run by Darryl Zangaro (sic). Since Roland Belcher from LA usually sets up at them, you are pretty much guaranteed at least one really good dealer at those shows. I hear good things about that show, other people's opinions may vary.

Rich
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Hello, Rich. Darryl (Zingaro) is a close friend of mine. Yes, he runs 2 small shows a month - one in Spring (just north of Houston) and one on the west side of town. I was actually talking to him earlier today. He was telling me that his shows keep growing every month and in October (22 & 23) he's having a 2 day show and Beckett and JSA are supposed to be there. You should set up there, Rich. It should be a pretty good crowd.