NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default question about Swedish Rekord Pele RC

Relatively speaking this card is quite inexpensive , or so it appears to me. Is this because 1) it's so plentiful, 2) it's a two player card, 3) it has Pele's name wrong, or 4) something else?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-14-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

I think reason number one is that it’s hand cut while Pelé has several pack issued rookie cards.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
I think reason number one is that it’s hand cut while Pelé has several pack issued rookie cards.
I guess I had looked past that in light of the Hemmets Clay where hand cut doesn't seem to matter, but there I suppose there is no alternative.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess I had looked past that in light of the Hemmets Clay where hand cut doesn't seem to matter, but there I suppose there is no alternative.
Yeah...if there were multiple pack issued Clay’s from 1960 I’m sure the Hemmets would be an afterthought.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Al Jurgela

Default I still like it....

Quote:
Relatively speaking this card is quite inexpensive , or so it appears to me. Is this because 1) it's so plentiful, 2) it's a two player card, 3) it has Pele's name wrong, or 4) something else?
because when uncut it has Garrincha as his partner on the uncut card... are you kidding me.... a Pele Rookie AND a top 20 player a couple years into his career on the same card.... WOW.... undervalued and underappreciated... I do not like the individual card of Pele, but the uncut double is nice in my opinion....
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
because when uncut it has Garrincha as his partner on the uncut card... are you kidding me.... a Pele Rookie AND a top 20 player a couple years into his career on the same card.... WOW.... undervalued and underappreciated... I do not like the individual card of Pele, but the uncut double is nice in my opinion....
I think it's a nice looking card although the wrong full name is a drawback. I can't decide whether to get one in order to have a Pele RC, or put down more serious $$$$ towards an Alifa.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default rekord Pele

These may be factors:

1. It is cut from a publication (cut card)
2. It comes from Sweden, rather than from Brazil which superseded the 1958 World Cup.
3. The names are not the traditional nicknames - Garrincha /Pele

However, the fact that:
1. this card has two superstars on it is worthy must have in any soccer collection.

2. It displays better than some of the tiny Brazil issues.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
These may be factors:

1. It is cut from a publication (cut card)
2. It comes from Sweden, rather than from Brazil which superseded the 1958 World Cup.
3. The names are not the traditional nicknames - Garrincha /Pele

However, the fact that:
1. this card has two superstars on it is worthy must have in any soccer collection.

2. It displays better than some of the tiny Brazil issues.
"Pele" is on the card -- but they have the full name wrong.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
I think it's a nice looking card although the wrong full name is a drawback. I can't decide whether to get one in order to have a Pele RC, or put down more serious $$$$ towards an Alifa.
If you like how it looks, then go for it. But I’d go for the Alfa (or the Aquarela as a cheaper alternative).
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If you like how it looks, then go for it. But I’d go for the Alfa (or the Aquarela as a cheaper alternative).
Thanks. Don't like the perforations, so I think it's down to a choice between two, the Quigol is a bit beyond what I want to spend at this time.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Al Jurgela

Default If you are into soccer cards...

IMO.... you have to get a Pele rookie.

All are fine. If I had to get one (taking into account current pricing - mainly the huge premium for the Quigol at the moment), I would likely go with the Alfia...

Here are my reasons:

1. It is cardboard
2. It was issued concurrently with his World Cup debut (which was amazing in Sweden)
3. It is affordable (compared with the Quigol)
4. All the other issues have "issues" (thin paper stock, magazine cut, perforations)
5. It is attractive (to me at least)
6. The premium that the Quigol has is mostly due to the fact that most people think that it is the most attractive of the Pele rookies. I am pretty certain, however, that this was not issued in 1958, thus it is an attractive second year (at best) card. Can it still be the "best" Pele card. Absolutely - just see the Mantle 1951 Bowman vs. 1952 Topps. But this is the main reason that I am avoiding Pele Quigol cards right now.

I have one Pele card in my display case and it is the Alfia card. But, collect what you like.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards

Last edited by aljurgela; 08-15-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Al thanks helpful analysis and I was leaning that way already. Of course deciding to buy one and finding one in the right grade at the right price are two different things.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I hate this Swedish Rekord card. What I see here is a European man's attempt to draw a dude of African descent (and he failed). Take another good look at that card - does it even look like Pele?

And I agree that the Alifabolaget is a beautiful card.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Al thanks helpful analysis and I was leaning that way already. Of course deciding to buy one and finding one in the right grade at the right price are two different things.
There’s a PSA 1 up right now at auction and I recently upgraded my PSA 2 so I have that one available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I hate this Swedish Rekord card. What I see here is a European man's attempt to draw a dude of African descent (and he failed). Take another good look at that card - does it even look like Pele?

And I agree that the Alifabolaget is a beautiful card.
Yuppp. That’s another difference from the Clay - the latter’s portrait is quite attractive

The Alfa is just a stunning card. Much sharper image than that of any 50’s Topps set.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

delete double post

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There’s a PSA 1 up right now at auction and I recently upgraded my PSA 2 so I have that one available.

Yuppp. That’s another difference from the Clay - the latter’s portrait is quite attractive

The Alfa is just a stunning card. Much sharper image than that of any 50’s Topps set.
I think a 5 or so is where I am headed but thank you.