NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Topps OPC question

I have often wondered why the OPC Topps cards from the 60's,70's and 80's aren't as popular as their regular Topps brother!? It's always baffled me and I guess this as good of place as any to ask! From my understanding the OPC sets were produced in less quantity than the regular Topps issues of the same year and also due to the way they cut the sheets with wire cutters made the OPC cards alot harder to find in mint condition,especially when you add in the notorious centering issues from the era! But still I see the Topps out sale OPC in every grade by a landslide. Someone please clarify this for me!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

It's a question that plagues me also.

I remember in the late 80's they used to hold a premium value and they still do to me. I feel the 71's as they have the best backs in Topps history have room to grow in the future.

They will get their day some time when people realize the rarity of high grade examples.

I just admittedly paid 10 bucks for a gray back 81' common for my player collection that was not even centered as they come up so rarely.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 09-16-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Opc

I don't think there is one clear cut answer - but rather a number of answers particular to each collector - which all add up to lower overall demand for most OPC cards. At least this holds true for most commons - but unsure for star cards. Some collectors like collecting what they grew up with ie Topps versus the Canadian OPC's. I know I hesitated at the beginning, before I started buying various OPC cards.

I happen to like OPC and will always try to buy the OPC version of a HOF'er as well as a regular issue Topps card/set.

Z
Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM

Default Opc

I have watched over the years that the OPC don't sell for as much as Topps.
Personally, I think that's because everyone knows what Topps is, but not so much OPC. I personally buy (player collector) every OPC high grade I can.
I think their day will come. The high end cards are very hard to come by.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 PM

Default Opc

Funny thing is I just got this one this week. There are no 9 or 10's yet.1975 team opc.jpg
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

I like the OPC versions. Picked up a bunch on a cross country trip that had a couple swings into Canada in 78. 78's in the east, and 77s in the Canadian side of Glacier natl park. The person running the souvenir shop was confused when I was excited over last years cards. Apparently they'd just come in
So I showed her the backs and explained how the new ones had 77 stats and hers had 76 stats.

I remember waiting at a table in a flea market for a long time, the guy had shown someone else a 69 Yaz and when the customer wondered about the odd back said it was OPC. I was hoping he'd decide against it, but no luck.

Steve B
Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Donato DiVecchia

Default OPC prices

My belief is that Topps cards usually command higher prices simply because the OPC cards are not as popular with most set collectors. If you take a quick look at the PSA Registry for OPC complete sets being worked and compare it to the Topps counterpart you will see more than 20 times the number of collectors are working on Topps sets versus OPC. I believe it's just as simple as not as many collectors are chasing OPC cards to complete sets. I believe the same is true for collectors working on raw sets also, but those people doing raw sets aren't usually paying top dollar anyways.

With that said, I personally believe that OPC cards should be valued more than their Topps counterpart and I am one of the ones that will pay more for a high grade OPC card.

Donato

Nolan Ryan Topps Master Set: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=192675&ac=1

Last edited by divecchia; 09-16-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by divecchia View Post
My belief is that Topps cards usually command higher prices simply because the OPC cards are not as popular with most set collectors. If you take a quick look at the PSA Registry for OPC complete sets being worked and compare it to the Topps counterpart you will see more than 20 times the number of collectors are working on Topps sets versus OPC. I believe it's just as simple as not as many collectors are chasing OPC cards to complete sets. I believe the same is true for collectors working on raw sets also, but those people doing raw sets aren't usually paying top dollar anyways.

With that said, I personally believe that OPC cards should be valued more than their Topps counterpart and I am one of the ones that will pay more for a high grade OPC card.

Donato
Yup , this is what I've always felt. Back in the day I came across a 1971 Munson opc . I asked the dealer about it and he said that people just really didn't collect them . He was asking a high price and I didn't really collect vintage at the time .
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 AM

I would think that collectors would be more interested in scarcity myself,but I also understand the "Nostalgia" that comes with collecting cards. I myself like to buy both issues of a certain player of interest at that time.

With all the interest the hobby is starting to gain again and with the boom in the vintage card market going crazy you would think that those OPC cards would pick up steam now more than ever,but I find that even at most shows alot of dealers don't carry them.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:17 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's because they are foreign. Other foreign issues-- Canadian Goudey, etc--, also don't have value that reflect their relative rarity.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Larry More.y

Based on the prices paid in the past for a 71 OPC complete set, there is seemingly some strong demand:

http://apr15.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=83093

I am S-L-O-W-L-Y working my way through the OPC sets from 65-84.....doing well on all except the 74s.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 AM
ThreadKiller

Default Opc

have maybe 350 OPC, 1965-1971, of which 250-275ish are '71s.

always liked the look of the '71 backs, so much that way back when I stored most of my cards in pages the back - not the front - was displayed.

here's a few of the better ones:

DS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPC01.jpg (78.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg OPC01a.jpg (78.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg OPC02.jpg (80.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg OPC02a.jpg (80.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM
D@vid L@dd

Wow...those backs are really cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 02:09 PM
ThreadKiller

Default yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
Wow...those backs are really cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
after all these years, still lovin' the backs on the '71 OPSs!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
after all these years, still lovin' the backs on the '71 OPSs!
The absolute best in Topps history...unquestionably.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Al Richter

Given the crew on this board it is amazing that no one has questioned this unquestionable statement, so you must be right Justin
Old 09-23-2016, 03:46 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Not always less

Honestly i have always and still do sell most stars in most grades for more in opc than topps. Commons, topps does seem to have a larger premium with low pop exceptions in some cases.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Tom Boblitt

Supply and demand. I, too, love the old OPC sets but the early years are really tough to find in nice shape and complete a set, so I think a lot of people are scared off of them so I think that depresses the price/sales a little. I think they've found some general gains over the last few years though. I bought a NRMT/MT 1975 OPC set at the National this year. Was really pleased.