NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-16-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Where are you buying 80’s cards?

My collecting has taken a turn over the past couple months. Previously, I would buy a high grade card, get it delivered, and then immediately have little satisfaction. Recently, I started buying lots of ungraded popular 80’s rookies, primarily Topps. Why have one, when I can have 10 at a lesser cost. For me, it’s been much more enjoyable.

eBay has been the primary source. Had a nice deal with a member of net54 a couple month ago, also. Any other places I should be lookin to acquire more cards? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I would recommend COMC if you haven't checked it out. And if you're looking into buying bulk, sportlots.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 AM
Ben North

Post a want list on here.

Have you tried COMC? For me the best part is you can buy a ton of cards from as many buyers as you want, let them build up and then have them all sent to you at one time. It will save you a ton of $ on shipping. You also don't have to directly deal with the sellers. Their only real negative is the horrible search engine they use.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks, guys. Great advice. I’ll check out both sites and work on a want list!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I just posted a primer on COMC in the 1950-70s section.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My local card shop, Burbank Sportscards. It is great to support a local brick and mortar business and fun to hang out and sift through 5K count boxes for interesting cards. Found this one a few weeks ago for $0.50:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
My collecting has taken a turn over the past couple months. Previously, I would buy a high grade card, get it delivered, and then immediately have little satisfaction. Recently, I started buying lots of ungraded popular 80’s rookies, primarily Topps. Why have one, when I can have 10 at a lesser cost. For me, it’s been much more enjoyable.

eBay has been the primary source. Had a nice deal with a member of net54 a couple month ago, also. Any other places I should be lookin to acquire more cards? Thanks in advance.
Shoot me a PM with some of the players you want. I have a good bit that I need to go through. We may be able help each other.
Chris
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My local card shop, Burbank Sportscards. It is great to support a local brick and mortar business and fun to hang out and sift through 5K count boxes for interesting cards. Found this one a few weeks ago for $0.50:

Rob's son Ryan is responsible for turning Burbank back to a place where you can do local retail. I agree Adam, having them in your neighborhood is a wonderful thing indeed.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I love Rollie! Great find for a pair of quarters.

Bummed that there is not much around here anymore that doesn't mainly focus on gaming cards or much more than 4-5 years old.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 05-23-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Ebay or local shows and shops if there are any in your area should have plenty of raw 80s cards available.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Ebay or local shows and shops if there are any in your area should have plenty of raw 80s cards available.
I do a ton of Ebaying, and the Detroit area has a few shows I stop at every 2-3 months (shame we lost the trade centers in the last couple years that added several show options).

I would have loved to had been here for the heyday of the Detroit shows.

I have stopped at most shops with my son and just haven't found one with fun box searching. Just the usual glass case with overpriced cards of only local stars among the Pokemon stuff and current modern packs.

If people have any shop recommendations in southeast MI let me know, I'd be glad to give it a visit.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.