NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Rookie cards in soccer

I have noticed a fair number of soccer card auctions where a card that does not seem to be a player's first card is identified nevertheless as a "rookie." On a number of occasions now where I didn't really know the issue, a little digging easily reveals an earlier card, sometimes by years. Is this just overzealousness by the seller, or is RC really a looser term in this context? Or do some issues not count, much as minor league issues in baseball don't for most people?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Noel

Default Soccer RC's

Overzealous could be one reason. More likely ignorance, deceit, apathy or perhaps (and this is one of my favorites) it is his rookie card from (pick a country or team).
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

For example I've seen several 66 Beckenbauers identified as a rookie card where he has several issues from 65.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of my favorites. A 1978 Cruyff identified as a rookie.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-JOHAN-...YAAOSwDmBY3Sy1

Old 08-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Noel

Yeah, about as accurate as the price! They probably meant to say "US Pre- Rookie"
Old 08-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default soccer rookie cards

It took almost 12 years for me to catalog over 200 first appearances if world famous soccer players.

Where baseball has had thousands of collectors contributing to the data base, still only recently have they identified a 1915 Babe Ruth as his rookie card.

Genuine discovery is great. However, misinformation is rampant on eBay and terribly perpetuated by companies like PSA which slab cards with aggregious errors.

Rookie card phenomena is an American invention. There are many factors that deviate with soccer collectables in format issues (coin, stamp, sticker, disc and finally card).

The distribution and scarcity is also measured in population as product made for a region of 10,000 (like Ireland) is rarer than product made for 10 million (like the USA).

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

May I ask (I guess I just did) where you catalogued this information, it sounds like a great resource.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Al Jurgela

Default I have noticed...

1. Some people do not know
2. It is the earliest card that they have ever seen especially in their country
3. It is the first sticker
4. It is the first card (on cardboard)
5. It is then first national team appearance
6. It is the first club appearance (of a known club)

It is a very difficult task to discern. I would say, collect what you like and do not assume that there will ever be a true “rookie” as too many have different definitions.

I, for one, when I am looking for rookies in the American sense look to the first issue that I can find regardless of all the above factors.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default soccer rookie cards

Just keep in mind, the American idea of rookie cards is not true to form.

All the talk of a Mickey Mantle rookie - 1952 Topps - is false per definition, his rookie is the 1951 Bowman.

So this rookie garbage is overrated money grubbing. EBay is littered with false rookie listings.

I like the advice from above, "collect what you like". You'll be better off because of it.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Wink Lost in Translation

When I started collecting soccer I found that foreign sellers stuck the word “Rookie” in almost every auction. I think in some cases they didn’t even know what it meant, but they saw the highest price sales in English all contained that word.

It’s just like I always searched the word Calciatori in my searches, even though I couldn’t define it, but it lead me to good results. Sometimes translation gets in the way.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Speaking of terminology, could someone explain to me "Megacrack" as in the Messi rookie, and "Crack" as in the Maradona rookie?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Speaking of terminology, could someone explain to me "Megacrack" as in the Messi rookie, and "Crack" as in the Maradona rookie?
It comes from Portuguese. A craque is like a star (player).