NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default O/T - who is best college team

Posted By: steve

Sorry for post here, I don't know any other chats as good as here.

Neutral field, who is best college football team right now?

I honestly believe Las Vegas oddsmakers would have USC favored over any other team. But they probably won't get in the title game. Bummer - college football system needs a 4 team playoff - yes !

steve

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

is the biggest racket in sports.........might be interesting if they would have a playoff to determine who is the best. This computer BCS crap and these so called experts prove nothing to me......let 'em play and lets see who is the best. Do like the SEC.....all conferences have 2 divisions. Turn the Bowl games into Conference Chamionship games and let the winners move on. Until then, I will never really be intersted in college football.....just my 2 cents worth

Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

A playoff may determine a champion, but it doesn't tell you who is the best. As far as I can tell, Div 1 College Football is the only sport that selects its champion as being the best team in the country (as opposed to being the team who wins a playoff which oftentimes is not the best team).

Now would a playoff be more exciting....well that's a different question altogether.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

They should let Hawaii play Ohio State.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hawaii 12-0

Its crazy over here like the super bowl every week.

They were down 21-0 in first 10 minutes last night (while you were all sleeping ) and came back and won again.

Colt Brennan will go first round and the team that picks him up will be very happy. Shattered many college records the last 2 years. 58 TDs last year (2006) and 131 TDs last 3 years.

Finished strong
last 2 games.....
40-53 495 yds 5 TDs Boise St.
42-50 442 yds 5 TDs Washington

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

fkw, I agree with you on Brennan. I wish my Giants would pick him up. As for the best team, it's hard to take USC seriously after losing to Stanford without their QB (I think that's correct).

Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I'm certainly in the minority, but I prefer the BCS over a playoff. College football is the only game where most every regular season game is of huge importance in terms of national title aspirations. It's almost like having playoff games every week. I find it to be a product superior to that of the NFL where the games are unwatchable because 90% of the teams stink.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Jeff,

You're close. The USC QB (Booty) played in the second half against Stanford with a broken hand and threw four interceptions. USC would likely have won that game if it had inserted its second-string QB (Sanchez).

I think USC is the best team right now, having healed from several key injuries. Even as a USC alum, however, I will not shill for USC to get in the BSC Championship game after losing at home to a 42-point underdog. (Just as I wouldn't shill for West Virginia after losing at home to a 28-point underdog). No excuses for that.

Scot

Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

We are "Marshall" !

Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Oh, Scott, I meant Stanford -- wasn't their QB out?

As for the other teams..there is simply no best team this year. Strange, strange year in college football.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Brennan is a system QB who won't translate well to the next level. If Hawaii could produce Timmy Chang who shattered all sorts of records and went undrafted, then Brennan probably won't fare much better. I like the 16-team playoff format. 8 automatic bids through conference championships (SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10, Big East, ACC, Mountain West, WAC) and 8 at-large teams. Cut the number of regular season games to 11 and get to it.

James

P.S---Darren McFadden for Heisman. The most outstanding football player in the land.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

James, I love McFadden -- but you are dreaming if you think Tebow doesn't win this in a blowout.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

You're right, the media loves Tebow and Florida. If McFadden played at Florida and Tebow at Arkansas, McFadden would win.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

In a tourney system like that of NCAA Basketball, a big loss during the regular season doesn't mean much, i.e., that team will be there in the end anyway. As stated: every weeks counts with the BCS.

IMO, Oklahoma fields the best team....USC woke up from their slumber.

I attended Cal and don't remember as bad of a spiral as we had this year. From being #2 (literally #1 for a few hours) to most likely not making a bowl appearance.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

The whole "playoff will weaken regular season games" argument is bogus in my opinion. Especially, if you're comparing it to college basketball. In college basketball there are 320+ teams that play 30 regular season games per year. In college football there are 119 teams that play 12 only regular season games once per week. College football has always been more of an event, with or without the BCS. Because there are so few games, it is doubtful a playoff system will impact fan interest in college football. If there are only 8 to 16 slots open, it could actually make an incredible game that much better. In other words, with a playoff system, every week will count even more.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Though I agree that fan interest would not be diminished, I don't think the argument is bogus at all. If you expand to a field of 8 or 16 from 2 teams, how can it not lessen the significance of the regular season games? That said, the BCS system is imperfect to say the least. Who cares? It's college football, not real life.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

All sports is entertainment. I think it's fan interest that creates significance, and that pertains to all sports.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

James, I agree that McFadden is by far the best player in college football; however, I would vote for Tebow this year because it is simply impossible to ignore the TDs.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Tebow's Gators have exactly one more win this season than Arkansas. How many of Tebow's rushing TD's were from less than 10 yards out? And if you believe McFadden in "by far the best college football player in America" then why not vote for him? That's what the award is for!

James

Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

OK James - You and I - Steel Cage Death Match.

We're discussing two different things, fan interest and significance of regular season. My point is is that regualar season game significance is decreased by the increased size of a playoff field. Are you going to tell me that the wildcard in MLB and the NFL doesn't decrease the import of regular season games? Let's not even talk about the NBA and the NHL.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I would agree for MLB because there are 162 games in the season. I would also for the NBA whose playoffs last 3-1/2 years. I would for the NHL because half the teams make the playoffs, which also last 3-1/2 years. I wouldn't for the NFL because games are played on a weekly basis and there are only 16 games. When you have so few games, and each one of them determines possible seeds, the regular season is still very much important.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Yes important. But we're talking degrees here. Anyway, you're a young man and I feel like I'm trying to argue with one of my sons. I give up.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I don't know if there is a best team either, but as usual, the SEC teams are at a huge disadvantage in proving that, because it is almost impossible for them to go through the season undefeated. There are 5 SEC teams this year whose only losses are to other SEC teams. LSU or Georgia would do the same thing to Ohio State that Florida did last year. I also don't believe that USC or Oklahoma could have won the SEC title this year and probably would have lost 3 or more conference games.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

James, one thing about Arkansas: with those backs, and that big kid Peyton catching all of those balls against LSU, how on earth did they lose a game this year -- let alone 4?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thank you, Jeff, my point exactly. Arkansas lost all 4 in the SEC.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

That other back -- what's his name? Is as fast as McFadden I think (or at least as quick). What a great offense! And Nutt actually found another job in like 5 mins. Unreal.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Felix Jones

Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

West VIrginia ........good ole homeboys !

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

There are many reasons why my HAWGS lost 4 games this year.

1.) We lost three of the four games in the 4th quarter, two of them in the final minute. Those teams (Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee)

2.) We have terrible QB play and an overagressive defense.

3.) McFadden was hurt for two of those games and he STILL put up those numbers.

McFadden was only a three star recruit coming out of high school in Little Rock. Jones also will probably declare for the draft as well. Hillis very well could be the first FB taken in the draft. Our third string RB Michael Smith is actually a four star recruit and ran off a couple 80 yard TD runs in mop up duty. Word is that he could be as good as McFadden. As far as our head coach is concerned, good riddance. I like Nutt but more often than not he would get outcoached in the big game. There's lots of money up in Northwest Arkansas now because of Tyson, Wal-Mart and some of the industries. Look for those corporations to pitch in and get us a big name coach and expand our recruiting budget. Woooo Pig Sooooieeeeee.

James

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Fouch

West Virginia fan here. Arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! Still makes me sick at my stomach to think about last night's loss. And to hated Pitt, of all teams. I hate to use the word "choke" when talking about 19- to 21-year-olds, but they really seemed to fold under the pressure. It just kills me. Chances like that don't come along too often for a program like WVU's. And they're such a better team than they showed. I really think they would have had a good shot at beating Ohio State in the championship. Unbelievable.

Edited for grammar.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

TEBOW is the MAN!!

James, where is the logic in "belittling" Tebow's TD runs of 5 yards or less?

Do you know how many teams have LOST crucial games by NOT being able to "punch it in" from inside the 10?

Do you think there was any bias against Sam "Bam" Cunningham when he was the "go to" guy for USC inside the 10?

Do you think Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson and Shaun Alexander didn't "count" all of their short TD's? (Tebow has more TD's this season than ANY of those guys EVER got in a season).

Don't you think it says MORE about a kid's ability that he can gain 5 yards even when ALL ELEVEN guys on the defense KNOW he is just going to run it right at them?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Hal long time no see you on the Board, hope you are well.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I agree with Hal. Tebow is da Superman!

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

LSU when at full health will dominate any team. LSU 44 Ohio State 20.
Tebow should win the Heisman with McFadden second.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

The most outstanding player in the nation is Darren McFadden. Tebow is a good QB but did most of his dirty work on mediocre teams. Compare what Tebow did against LSU with what McFadden did. If D-MAC played for Florida, he would already have been crowned.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Right now! (IMO)
1) USC
2) VA Tech (getting beat the first time by BC destroyed them)
3) Georgia
4) Ohio State

Hawaii won all those games..sure...but who did they play? They sequaked by two out of their last three games...I mean Washington?

Anyone remember Timmy Chang in the NFL? Oh, he's the one who Brennan's Hawaii records he passed. Brennan is a crisp and accurate passer, but it's all about the system.

As far as Heisman...Teabow, while McFadden will be the 2008 Adrian Peterson.

Yeah, what the heck happened to West Virgina? That was truly sad.

DJ