NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by botport View Post
Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.
(I'd like to keep the Evers for myself)

I would need three things to make this happen..

1) A charity that we can reach a decent consensus to give the proceeds to.
2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank
I think you should find a charity in CHARLESTON to donate the funds to since that is who PAIGE played for.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

"I don't crack slabs often, but when I do, I'm drinking Dos Equis."

The Most Interesting Man on the Forum.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
In case anyone cares, the cabinet guys and I have come to a resolution too. It's costing me $165 instead of $500.

I'm thinking Al sent your cabinet guys a check to make up the difference.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Dave Wilson

After all that drama filled reading, I'm ready for a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
"I don't crack slabs often, but when I do, I'm drinking Dos Equis."

The Most Interesting Man on the Forum.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don't know either one of the two, but now i love both Frank and Al. The third gentleman who ruined the Paige card? Not so much. Measure twice, cut once.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Scott Russell

As a guy who worked in live theatre for 20 years before getting into the auction business I can avow that Truth is indeed stranger than fiction. At various points in this narrative I have been close to jumping in with accusations and wild uninformed opinions. Basically this story is too convoluted NOT to believe (plus you can check out many of the details in the auction listing) I've never dealt with Al or Frank so I have no skin in the game, no favorite, or buddy I'm protecting, in fact it'd probably behoove me to shit all over Al and LOTG, but I actually believe at this point that the parties to the story (including the two ancillary parties) have all been honest and reasonable.

I said it earlier, we all hate to make mistakes and we really hate when mistakes are made at our expense, but how we deal with those is what shows our character.

I'll leave this thread with a little story. There's an auction house by me that conducts local auctions via internet. Not a card auction, estates, general, closeouts etc... My wife had been looking for a large desk for her office. They had one at an estate closeout that I won for a ridiculously low price. The auction listing read "Desk and contents." I went to pick up the desk and was taking it apart to get it in my van. A lady came in and asked me what I was doing. Apparently she had won an auction for just the contents of the desk. Yep the auction house had listed it twice. The lady in question stormed off to get an employee while I continued to take pieces of the desk to my van (leaving the disputed drawers) The employee came running out to my car and said she discovered their mistake and did I care very much about the contents. I told her "no" and she graciously offered me a 50% refund. I took it as I was "wronged" but it made me very appreciative of their efforts to correct what could've been an ugly situation.

Shit happens. Al screwed up, more than once. If I can read between the lines correctly, he feels like hell about it. Frank got screwed, he was pissed, he got mostly unscrewed and wants to be done with this. He should take the $100 and his cards and evaluate whether or not he thinks it was sufficient recompense for the hassles and if he'll do business with LOTG going forward, but he does seem to accept the story.

If anyone has a conspiracy theory which differs from the narrative offered I'd love to hear it, but it better be pretty damn compelling. As someone who works in the auction world and as a card dealer I am in the middle of granting someone a refund. It happens. I'll go on record as wagering that LOTG doesn't have anything like this go down again for a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG time.

EDIT: Post was written right after Al's explanation. Kudos to Frank for his gesture. I know animal shelters are a big topic on the site from time to time, love my rescued dog, just my 2¢.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Why did the honest recipient of cards that were not his sell one of the cards he didn't win? And what a coincidence that it was the one card that had a possibly erroneous flip which, on its face, was worth multiples of what the OP paid for it. Forgive me if these questions have been answered above; I just can't bear to read all of this.

This whole thing is a clusterfuck. I have great respect for the OP.

I enjoy the truth playing out. Jeff, you’re still on retainer.

Last edited by bigfish; 01-11-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Steve Murray

That's too funny.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Default Steve,

Where the hell have you been. Please offer your common sense opinion. I would guess youre right and hope all is well with you.

Last edited by bigfish; 01-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I work for the Human Fund and we would love the donation, please make it out to CASH.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Don't be a jerk. As auction bidders, it affects us all. I think there is a lot more to the story here than is being told.

The cards sure arrived back to Al awful quickly if the recipient only mailed them on Tuesday. That's some quick shipping. It takes a check 13 days to get from Al to the OP, but only takes less than 2 days for the cards to get from the recipient back to Al.

I also think Al knew in advance that the Brown OM wouldn't be returned and that's why he told the OP to keep the check.
What do you think now?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
What do you think now?
I think that all the truth hasn't been told, but that the OP is too much of a gentleman to keep dragging this out and wants to put it to rest. Want to know what I really think? I'll PM you and tell you.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I think that all the truth hasn't been told, but that the OP is too much of a gentleman to keep dragging this out and wants to put it to rest. Want to know what I really think? I'll PM you and tell you.
Please do.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Sadly, David is right. But no one cares, so what's the point.

Last edited by orly57; 01-11-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Ryan Christoff

All I’ve learned from this thread is that 1952boyntoncollector, Orly57, and vintagetoppsguy are total dicks.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Ryan, maybe one day after one of your trips to Cuba where you fleece the poor and steal their cards for pennies, you can come by miami and tell me how you feel about me...in person. It's funny, I point out something shady in the hobby and I'm a dick. You literally steal from the poor. What does that make you?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Ryan, maybe one day after one of your trips to Cuba where you fleece the poor and steal their cards for pennies, you can come by miami and tell me how you feel about me...in person. It's funny, I point out something shady in the hobby and I'm a dick. You literally steal from the poor. What does that make you?
Fleece the poor? Ha! What an idiot. You know zero about what you’re talking about. No one paid higher prices in Cuba than I did. And I would LOVE to tell you all about it to your face. In Miami or anywhere else, tough guy.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 PM
Ryan Christoff

Oh, also, you didn’t point out anything shady going on in the hobby. There wasn’t anything shady. All you did was make yourself look like a dick while trying to damage someone else’s reputation. Dick.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I'm simply not getting into a playground fight with you on the message board. If you want to take this to the pm I'm good with that.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Todd Schultz

Why don't you lay out all this shady behavior you uncovered. Otherwise, it seems like Ryan pretty much nailed it.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:47 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.

2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank

Awesome idea, I would suggest St Judes Children's Hospital as a worthy charity.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 AM
$cotty @.utin

First, I wanted to tip my hat to both the OP and the AH. Both were professional and empathetic about what happened and I personally learned some great conflict resolution tactics throughout this thread.

Next, perhaps I could offer a different type of charity. I'm a leadership fellow for Veterans in Media and Entertainment. We work to help train, prepare, and network for military veterans to get jobs throughout the media and entertainment industry as a way to change the image of military veterans from the inside (ie- we aren't all a broken post traumatic mess).

Also, who knows this thread could make a heck of a video one day....as well as many, many, MANY other threads on this forum.

https://www.crowdrise.com/vmeconnect

Thanks for the consideration, I would gladly serve as the middle man or you can even donate directly to the crowdrise website above. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football

Last edited by smotan_02; 01-12-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:13 AM
Andrew Aronstein

In terms of a charity to donate to I've got a direct connection at the Taylor Hooton Foundation and could safely and easily get the funds to them. I'm part of a project utilizing players from their MLB Advisory Board. More info at the links below:

http://taylorhooton.org/
http://allmeleague.com/all-stars/
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

I'll leave this thread with a little story. There's an auction house by me that conducts local auctions via internet. Not a card auction, estates, general, closeouts etc... My wife had been looking for a large desk for her office. They had one at an estate closeout that I won for a ridiculously low price. The auction listing read "Desk and contents." I went to pick up the desk and was taking it apart to get it in my van. A lady came in and asked me what I was doing. Apparently she had won an auction for just the contents of the desk. Yep the auction house had listed it twice. The lady in question stormed off to get an employee while I continued to take pieces of the desk to my van (leaving the disputed drawers) The employee came running out to my car and said she discovered their mistake and did I care very much about the contents. I told her "no" and she graciously offered me a 50% refund. I took it as I was "wronged" but it made me very appreciative of their efforts to correct what could've been an ugly situation.

Was there a Brown Old Mill Paige in one of those drawers? I think it might belong to me
Old 01-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Brendan Mullen

So he went to break the card out of the new, ironclad PSA holder, and he damaged the card. It looks like this now.

How does this even happen? I've broken out close to 170 cards and have not even come close to doing this once. It's really a shame because that is a beautiful card! When I get back from Texas this weekend, for softball, I'll post a step by step tutorial on how to crack open a slab. With pictures....
Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCabron View Post
All I’ve learned from this thread is that 1952boyntoncollector, Orly57, and vintagetoppsguy are total dicks.
and the reason being? I can say comments like that from you make you look like a child though. We all live and die and not sure why you would take the time to make silly comments like that.

Who was i to question waaaay back that the simple return of funds wasn't so simple as it appeared..guess i was wrong..was a very simple transaction...return of proceeds for cards never delivered.(at the time) .thats all that happened i guess in this thread....there were no new developments or explanations needed after that....nothing more involved than that for me to question.......nothing to see here...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-12-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
So he went to break the card out of the new, ironclad PSA holder, and he damaged the card. It looks like this now.

How does this even happen? I've broken out close to 170 cards and have not even come close to doing this once. It's really a shame because that is a beautiful card! When I get back from Texas this weekend, for softball, I'll post a step by step tutorial on how to crack open a slab. With pictures....
I asked the same question. I am only speculating that the now owner of the Paige might have had some pressure applied and the shell just split wide open causing the flat head screwdriver to tear into the card.

Don't forget to keep the tutorial simple. Lots of pictures and few words. Just don't want some people confused and then they damage their cards and come after you for restitution because of their simpleness.

Member since 2009
Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:

Frank
This is a great idea and kind gesture. May I suggest a Crohns and Colitis Foundation for research?

Member since 2009
Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

When the OP said mentioned later on that he was getting the cards he purchased and was also generously offered money as well with the cards (this was offered AFTER he received the 11 card lot..i mean 10 card lot) , it wasnt as simple as that. One card was missing from the lot he purchased so it wouldnt be generous to offer him some money plus the cards he purchased in which he was shorted one card.

I questioned the timing of the extra money being offered AFTER the cards were found.

I questioned the extra money given plus the cards and it turns out I was right because he was shorted a card and some money was needed just to make the guy whole. At the time of my questioning nobody knew he was being shorted a card but now you see why i raised the issue.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-12-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That's a strong accusation. If true it wouldn't be a good look at all for LOTG, and a few posters in the thread would owe Jake an apology for criticizing him for questioning the gesture of allowing the OP to keep the lot and the check.
Well IF the OP said he wasnt getting the entire lot back that would of been nice to know and more of a reason why he was offered additional money. Far be it for me to question things in the beginning.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-12-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I knew when PSA redesigned their slab that it would lead to havoc in the hobby. If they had just kept the slab that could be easily cracked with a butter knife, this whole thread could have been avoided.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Brendan Mullen

Don't forget to keep the tutorial simple. Lots of pictures and few words.

Hahaha, will do. It's so simple. 99% of the crack-outs take less than 10 seconds. For real.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 AM

The new PSA holders are not 10 second jobs, they are very difficult to open compared to the old ones, or SGC.

Please use a new holder in the demo.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM
Dan Bretta

Would someone in the conspiracy crowd please post their reasons why they think Al would keep a low grade lot of T206 cards that clearly DID NOT INCLUDE A BROWN OLD MILL.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Brendan Mullen

The new PSA holders are not 10 second jobs, they are very difficult to open compared to the old ones, or SGC. Please use a new holder in the demo.

I have no cards (other than a random T205) in holders. I'm going to use that. But I've recently cracked new holders as well. A little more difficult, but still a 10 second job.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think the OP should just pick a cause he cares about, but as long as we are making suggestions, Catholic Charities always gets extremely high marks from the watchdog organizations.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Would someone in the conspiracy crowd please post their reasons why they think Al would keep a low grade lot of T206 cards that clearly DID NOT INCLUDE A BROWN OLD MILL.

Thanks
Would someone in the "defend Al" crowd please publicly post the private picture they sent me so I can rip this story to shreds?

The matter was dropped last night, Dan. You and others in the "defend Al" crowd want to keep it going with posts like "What do you think now?" or name calling (the dicks comment) or this post that I'm quoting above. The OP is done and I respect that and will drop it too. People are going to believe what they want to believe.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I hope to see Al in White Plains this week and have a 2 or 3 hour discussion about the finer points of all this. I have a few hundred questions.

Only kidding. You guys lost me days ago on this one.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-12-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 AM

I'd just like to know where Lichtman's Red Circus Shoes ended up (post #92).

Clearly an honest mistake, made right by LOTG. And, a class act move by the OP to suggest the charity auction (which he should just simply pick one he likes).

I've been a bidder and consignor with LOTG since day one. Al is top notch.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-12-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
1. Ryan bought them on the cheap in Cuba.
2. Al sold them as brown circus shoes.
3. Jake tried to sell them on the BST, then consigned them to PWCC.
4. David cross-examined them for days.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I can't believe Leon doesn't charge for this kind of entertainment!!!

Does someone see a Netflix series about sports card auction follies in all this?

The drama, conspiracies, side track themes, undermining/backstabbing and happy resolutions and possible group hug at the end... priceless!

Or almost like a hockey fight gotten out of hand!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

All we need now is for someone to recognize one of the other posters as their long lost father they haven't seen in 50 years since he walked out for a pack of cigarettes. Then we call Dr. Phil.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post

They were all red: laces, swoosh, soles, etc. Bright red patent leather Nike high tops. I almost inquired as to who actually bought them? Who walks around with sneakers like that? And it wasn't like they were kid size, they were freaking huge.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
5. Joe Orlando was recently seen wearing them.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
5. Joe Orlando was recently seen wearing them.
Don't give him any ideas, or we may see graded/entombed Air Jordans.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 AM
je.sse @rnot

What happened to the picture of the envelope containing the check that was supposed to be posted to help verify Al's story? So we could see the post mark.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
They were all red: laces, swoosh, soles, etc. Bright red patent leather Nike high tops. I almost inquired as to who actually bought them? Who walks around with sneakers like that? And it wasn't like they were kid size, they were freaking huge.
One of my basketball teammates in high school wore shoes like that. Our school colors were red and white. The rest of us wore classic Adidas.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
One of my basketball teammates in high school wore shoes like that. Our school colors were red and white. The rest of us wore classic Adidas.
I'm going to presume he was the best player on the team or else the rest of you would have given him a beating.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And all this time, I thought Jake's only involvement was to add "GLWS" on the BST of Net54.

Seems like there is something more to the story than documented here...

Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
I cut and mailed a check for the amount in full the following day, December 29.

I'll also stand 100% by everything I've said here.
Hmmm....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (75.4 KB, 358 views)
Closed Thread