NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Default Graded or Raw....

I have in the past , busted graded cards out of their holder to put in my binder.
But on resale, I precieved there might be a lower resale value.
If you had a choice of buying a graded card, vereses a raw card, how would you go.
I am talking about T206 specifically, but all others too.

Does a graded card (PSA or SGC) have more weight, even a 1 or 2, on your decison to buy the card, rather than a raw card ?

Just wondering what the community thinks. This community.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:45 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have kept the slab with the card. They will normally resale for a minimal charge. Had the occasion with a Cobb.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A lot of times it depends on the price differential. My sets are post-war, and when I look to fill a hole, it seems nice looking ungraded cards (and Lord knows what grade they would get) on ebay are priced so high, that it makes sense to pay a little more and get one that is already slabbed. You know what you are getting is good and (hopefully) there are no surprises.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 PM

I buy most of my cards online without being able to see them in person, so I prefer graded when possible. Makes me feel a little more confident about authenticity.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Cracking

While many like to have cards outside the third-party grader's encapsulated plastic for various reasons like the uniformity or storage together in a binder because majority of their collection/set is not in the holders, if you are looking to long-term value of your collection, the answer is simple. Cracking out from the holder destroys value.

It may well enhance enjoyment, but it destroys value.

For the collector who is concerned with the long-term value (sale-ability) of their cards, the holder provides a 3rd party opinion that helps arbitrate the sale.

I am not talking about the practice of cracking for re-submittal. There are dealers who are serial re-submitters who crack cards out and re-submit in hopes of a higher grade. Many swear by that practice because moving up from an 8 to even an 8.5 in some cases can double the value of a card, and it's like a lottery pick. They pay a small (getting bigger and bigger) fee to try to see if the grade could come back better, with the possibility of a much larger increase in value. That's a different matter than what you describe.

In the end, it depends what your goals are. If it's just enjoyment and uniformity, go for it and crack them out. If you are concerned with you or your loved ones having to sell the cards someday, don't do it.

Tony
Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 AM
pete ullman

It's almost always preferable to buy a card thats already been graded...it's like receiving an added monetary benefit of not having to pay for it yourself and incur the ridiculously long waiting times involved.

On the other hand I will not shy away from buying raw if the price/card is right for me!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Not a fan...

Not a fan of slabbing a card, I feel third party grading is one of the negative aspects of the hobby, but I do understand why if you are a dealer. Most people today when they look at a card they don't see the beauty of it, the design, the color, the font, the paper that it was printed on and most of all the player. Their eyes go right to the grade, they might even comment they don't like the label. My cards are my serenity, I like to touch them, label them, rearrange them and most of all historically talk about them. I sometime wait years for certain cards to come up in auction and pay the price whatever it is. I feel the passion of the hunt and find it thrilling.
Not a fan of grading....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8695.jpg (76.2 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8697.jpg (75.2 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8698.jpg (75.6 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8565.jpg (75.2 KB, 468 views)

Last edited by garymc; 02-10-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: adding photo
Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
Not a fan of slabbing a card, I feel third party grading is one of the negative aspects of the hobby, but I do understand why if you are a dealer. Most people today when they look at a card they don't see the beauty of it, the design, the color, the font, the paper that it was printed on and most of all the player. Their eyes go right to the grade, they might even comment they don't like the label. My cards are my serenity, I like to touch them, label them, rearrange them and most of all historically talk about them. I sometime wait years for certain cards to come up in auction and pay the price whatever it is. I feel the passion of the hunt and find it thrilling.
Not a fan of grading....
Gary... I agree with your comments wholeheartedly... and when cards were less expensive decades ago I used to buy never ever intending to sell any of them!! But those days are long gone and these days it makes much more sense to have cards graded if you ever intend to transfer them onward!

These days my best cards are mostly graded and all the rest are in binders for me to touch smell feel and enjoy !

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-10-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I never liked grading services, but if your going to sell it does enhance the price. However now I may not have anything else graded because of the extremely ridiculous grading prices and wait time. I'd rather be able to hold the card in my hand.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

For me grading only has any weight above a certain point.

a 1 or 2 just shouldn't be graded unless it's an expensive card where there would be some comfort for a buyer that at least it's not fake.

Anything up to about a 5 is sort of a wash, above that the difference in the price will make it matter.

That being said, I've only bought one card because of the grade, while I've bought a few raw ones and had them graded.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sort of depends on what holder it is in, per the value. A PRO or GAI holder diminishes value (and I realize this was more about PSA and SGC). A few packs in GAI holders might hold value but no cards will, imo. And if the card is in a PRO holder I have learned to walk away, the hard way. Otherwise, I agree that good TPG holders do add some value to most cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
While many like to have cards outside the third-party grader's encapsulated plastic for various reasons like the uniformity or storage together in a binder because majority of their collection/set is not in the holders, if you are looking to long-term value of your collection, the answer is simple. Cracking out from the holder destroys value.

It may well enhance enjoyment, but it destroys value.

For the collector who is concerned with the long-term value (sale-ability) of their cards, the holder provides a 3rd party opinion that helps arbitrate the sale.

I am not talking about the practice of cracking for re-submittal. There are dealers who are serial re-submitters who crack cards out and re-submit in hopes of a higher grade. Many swear by that practice because moving up from an 8 to even an 8.5 in some cases can double the value of a card, and it's like a lottery pick. They pay a small (getting bigger and bigger) fee to try to see if the grade could come back better, with the possibility of a much larger increase in value. That's a different matter than what you describe.

In the end, it depends what your goals are. If it's just enjoyment and uniformity, go for it and crack them out. If you are concerned with you or your loved ones having to sell the cards someday, don't do it.

Tony
Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Rich

Personally, I came of age as a collector in the years before TPG services, so I'm not a fan. That said, if I purchase a card that's been slabbed, I decide whether to break it out or leave it based on the value and player. If I buy a slabbed card of a common player for $50, I'll break it out and keep it in my binders. If it's a HOF player and I buy it for $200, I'll probably keep it slabbed.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I buy most of my cards online without being able to see them in person, so I prefer graded when possible. Makes me feel a little more confident about authenticity.
Authenticity is the biggest factor for me also. No guarantees, of course, but if I'm spending $100 or more I'll generally go with graded.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree grading increases the likelihood of no hidden issues, however I still buy raw frequently. And I have missed a ton of issues that TPGs have caught. Live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajquigs View Post
Authenticity is the biggest factor for me also. No guarantees, of course, but if I'm spending $100 or more I'll generally go with graded.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Sam Lemoine

I am 11 years away from the age my dad was when he died. So, who knows when it will happen. When I have sold or traded raw, it has been tough. Collectors ask millions of questions and want all sorts of different angles of photos. When I go, I want my wife to be able to grab a slab and sell it without knowing a darned thing about it. So, gradually I am purging my pre-1970's ungraded cards and replacing them with graded ones. I get a few less cards. My wife gets a few less headaches (hopefully decades from now).
Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is thoughtful. Good for you. I hope I can remember to do the same thing as the clock winds down....(the later the better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I am 11 years away from the age my dad was when he died. So, who knows when it will happen. When I have sold or traded raw, it has been tough. Collectors ask millions of questions and want all sorts of different angles of photos. When I go, I want my wife to be able to grab a slab and sell it without knowing a darned thing about it. So, gradually I am purging my pre-1970's ungraded cards and replacing them with graded ones. I get a few less cards. My wife gets a few less headaches (hopefully decades from now).
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM

I want it graded when I buy it.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM
J0hn Collin$

I buy most things for my collection (postwar) online, so if at all possible I buy PSA or SGC graded just for reassurance on what I am buying if I cannot hold the card in my hands and inspect it first. Once in my posession, whether or not it stays in the slab becomes of less importance, especially if it's something I have no plans to sell. If the card arrives and it is fine and looks good in the slab, I leave it. If the card bounces around in the slab to any great degree (late 60's and early 70's Topps cards seem to have a penchant for this...) I will usually bust it out. I will also bust out if the slab is damaged or cracked in any way, or if (this happens all the time with BVG) there is something foreign like dust or debris inside the slab which makes it appear as if there is wear on the card which is not actually there.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 PM
R Dixon

Default My take

I buy most of my cards raw, but they don't stay that way for long. I accept that I'm going to have to pay for grading on a lot of my cards when I get ready to sell them, but that's money well spent. I pull my album out at least once a week and go through my cards. I've cracked Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, all of them. The only time I got really nervous was the first time I held a 1914 Cracker Jack. It was a HOFer graded PSA 4 so I paid a lot (for me) for it. I had no idea how fragile those suckers were.

t205.jpg

t206.jpg

t210.jpg

v100.jpg
Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I dont buy cards to resell so I prefer Raw. However in cases where the cards can be counterfeited I buy graded because I'm still too newbie too tell a fake from real lol