NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Al

Default Certified autographs fading question?

Hello,
I finally found samples of a question I asked previously. This is what I mean (PHOTOS BELOW) In regards to factory certified autographs from Topps (Pack pulled) fade over time. the blue sharpie turns to a purplish grayish color and then fades like these examples below. Cards I had were keep out of the sunlight, in fact some where in boxes in the dark and never saw sunlight for over 10 years and still faded like these/ even when out there was very little light exposure, so i ask, does certified topps autographs fade over time and why do they fade like this when they were not in lighting or sunlight? maybe topps uses cheap sharpies to sign cards?

Last edited by hawaiian bam bam; 01-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 AM

I know when you're hunting signatures at spring training you've got to wipe a dry eraser across the fronts of the cards to get the gloss off. Otherwise the signature will streak. Maybe gloss is at play with these cards.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Maybe gloss is at play with these cards.
You may be correct... assuming these cards were not exposed to light or excessive heat, some sort of chemical reaction between the ink and the finish on the card is the most likely explanation. Sharpie ink is not going to simply disappear from an inert, stable medium.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Ink is actually more stable on a glossy surface than an old cardboard one. On a glossy card, the ink rests on the surface, whereas with older cardboard cards, the ink actually bonds with the medium. This is what causes the ink to bleed over time (creating a slight haze around the signature) in somewhat rare occurrences on older Topps cards. The tradeoff is that signatures can be removed or "scratched" on a glossy card because no bond is made between the molecules of ink and the molecules of the item that was signed.

I have thousands of signed glossy cards that don't exhibit this fading so I don't think the gloss is a factor. Some type of chemical reaction may be the cause, but a more probable reason would be moisture. Direct contact with water would do this although I'd suspect the card itself would show more signs if the card had actually become wet. However this may have happened if the cards were kept in an area that had high humidity. Honestly, this looks exactly like fading from exposure to light, so I would question if the signatures hadn't been exposed to flourescent lights at some point, possibly before you acquired them?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM

I don't think that's true considering all of the cards are from the same set. I'd be more inclined to think that the issue is with the manufacturing of the cards themselves.

Last edited by packs; 01-18-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Al

Thanks guys for your responses. the ones i had that faded like this I bought at card shows and card shops so your right, before i bought them the sellers probably kept them in their card shop cases 8 hrs a day in daylight and under fluorescent lighting and at card shows out all day on their table in the daylight, so that might be why they faded. once i got my cards i kept them out of light, but your right we never know how the people e bought them from stored them(light, moisture, humidity, etc) come to think of it, cards that i got from packs and send for ttm requests still look good, its only the autographs i bought on ebay, card shows and card shops that are fading.have faded (cards that other people owned that im unsure how they stored/displayed them) so that might have solved this mystery of fading autographs. i notice them more with factory certified autographs. with regular cards ive noticed the sharpie bleeds into the card over time causing a "halo" or ring effect.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Could the problem have something to do with the quality of the ink used in the pens?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Playing the other side of the coin......Do we know for sure that those are Sharpie pen signatures and not some other inferior brand?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Al

i assumed topps using sharpie, but maybe they use cheaper pens in bulk signings? to reduce their costs?