NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Miracle Ball

Just started Miracle Ball by Brian Biegel and it is really good. I think that it was recommended in another thread.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Jeff

Default A Couple

Just finished "The STARK Truth" by Jayson Stark where he opines on the 5 most overrated and underrated players by position. Now about done with "Tony LaRussa" by Rob Rains. Got both for XMas from the kids which must mean they were on closeout at Big Lots or Tuesday Morning.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Rob G.

"Satch, Dizzy, & Rapid Robert: The Wild Saga of Interracial Baseball Before Jackie Robinson". The information is great - hearing about Dizzy Dean and Bob Feller barnstorming against Negro Leaguers. But I'm not a fan of the writing style. I don't know how to explain it, but by 1/2 way thru the book I just got tired of reading it. The author Timothy Gay puts out great stories but the delivery just doesn't capture my attention. Too long of a book perhaps? 3 stars.

Now finishing reading Ann Rule's "Dead by Sunset". She's a true crime author, and I'm just getting into her books. Great author IMO, only took me about 2 weeks to get thru ~ 380 pages which is like a record for me. 5 stars.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Richard Simon

The Autobiography of Mark Twain.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Just finished "In the Heart of the Seas: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick - true story and it is an incredible read. I highly recommend it.

Just started "The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth" by Leigh Montville. So far, very interesting read.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
I downloaded a copy of the original "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand a couple of weeks ago (Kindle version). I read it about 40 yrs ago in college and really didn't remember it much. Very appropriate theme for todays political environment. The movie doesn't do it justice. Great book.

dh
You get a +3 for this one - A fan of Ayn Rand works even my dog is named AYNNIE.

Im reading;
Wilber "Bullet" Rogan and the Kansas City Monarchs
Working ath the Ballpark
BASEBALL in the GARDEN of EDEN
all OK to Good reads
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 AM
P.hil €lli$

Just started The Glory of Their Times. Loving it so far.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm reading Diary of Anne Frank for the first time. My urban condo building has a little community library next to a elevator door, with the books donated by the residents, and this one was sitting there as I was waiting for the elevator. The books even have color coded stickers so you know when to return it.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Jason Wells

Baseball Americana:The Library Of Congress' Collection.Half pictures,half information.Just the way I like them.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Isaac Lane

Default Has anyone read....

"Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game"?

Heard the author Dan Barry on a podcast and it sounds like a very interesting look at not only minor league baseball, but the fans who root and support them. Just bought it and was wondering if any one else has read it.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
James Wymer

Net 54 posts!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

I just received a copy of "The Card". Fascinating stuff, even though there is a lot of hogwash in it. It was interesting to read about people who I know, like MW. It was disappointing to see that the writer had given the two Cincinnati fraudsters a photo and any cred whatsoever. Finally, I'm wondering if Ray will ever tell the world where he got the card - perhaps he has, and I missed it?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Just started The Glory of Their Times. Loving it so far.
Phil, follow it up with the c.d. - it will be the best money you ever spent. I feel like I know those guys I've listened to it so many times.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 AM

The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards! Is there anything else?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Rob G.

"The pitch that killed", a book about Carl Mays throwing the ball that killed Ray Chapman in 1920. Batters didn't wear helmets at the time.

Great, easy read so far. Interesting that, according to the book, Carl Mays and Babe Ruth were brought up at the same time w/the Red Sox and there were more expectations for Mays.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Lightbulb Heavy and not so Heavy Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
You get a +3 for this one - A fan of Ayn Rand works even my dog is named AYNNIE.

Im reading;
Wilber "Bullet" Rogan and the Kansas City Monarchs
Working ath the Ballpark
BASEBALL in the GARDEN of EDEN
all OK to Good reads
Have read "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" in the last year. Your dog is no doubt wagging her tail by now. Currently I'm trying to get through "Democracy in America", an increasingly foreign concept. Between chapters I'm picking up "Pursuit of Honor". If Aynnie doesn't like Mitch Rapp, there no tellin' what might happen to her.

Crazy 08 was a good baseball read recently. The most interesting baseball book, however, if you ever played table games with dice, is "The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop." by Robert Coover.

This post to be submitted for this year's Smile Award.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
JB

Default currently reading........

Willie Mays The Life, The Legend. Mays grew up about 30 min. from where i live and i am familiar with a lot of the local places in the book (which makes it more interesting)........i am about 1/3 of the way through. Today there are a lot of stories about Mays being an a(hole) and grouchy oldman, i am hoping for some insight on how that happened. According to this book, he was happy go lucky and always smiling and joking around as a young player. Interesting book so far.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Sports Illustrated 'Baseball Preview' issue. I don't normally read S.I., but in the absence of any reasonably current baseball preview magazine (Sporting News is apparently not producing one this year, and all the others are so old that they don't even show Pujols or Fielder on the correct rosters), I took a chance.

What a great read. They did a very creative job of previewing each team and threw in a lot of interesting side-bar stuff, all while maintaining the integrity of a season preview magazine - good roster info, etc. But the real fun was the article about Mickey Mantle at the back, by the author of 'The Last Boy', built around an error in the book where she stated that Sullivan (Red Sox) had died, when he was in fact alive and kicking at 82.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
David Str@@te

Now I'm onto Hunger Games, as I had to see what all the fuss was about. I have to admit that I love these smaller books. They make me feel like a much more prolific reader.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Glenn

"Luckiest Man - The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig" by Jonathan Eig.

Hopefully, next up will be "Banzai Babe Ruth" by Rob Fitts.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Bob B.

Finishing up "Mint Condition" by Dave Jamieson for the first time. Re-reading "The Loom of Ruin" by Sam McPheeters (former singer of obscure bands, Born Against, Men's Recovery Project and Wrangler Brutes) great and funny book if you like Dark satire.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Jake

thought maybe I should revive this thread. Im reading Pinstripe Empire and A Universe from Nothing.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Steve Freedman

The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
David Linardy

Default summer reading

Currently workign on "The Luckiest Man" about Gehrig... a great read, I highly recommend it...
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Mikeknapp

I read three to four at a time. Currently I am enjoying The Killings of Stanley Ketchel, the Art of Fielding, A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s, and October Men.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I recently finished the Game of Thrones books; great stuff and eagerly awaiting the next one. I am now through 7 of the 8 Sookie Stackhouse novels. Also a lot of fun, and the stories markedly diverge from the HBO series within a book or two, which is nice. For the National trip I have the new book about Mickey Cohen, "Mickey Cohen: The Life and Crimes of L.A.'s Notorious Mobster" by Tere Tereba. Also likely to re-read an old favorite, "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...