NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Scott

Autograph prices for Lou:

Official Bud Selig Ball 150.00
Photo, your item 125.00
Official, Harridge repro ball 200.00

Also, Combo picture w Babe Ruth, 325.00 from Babe's private signing last year w the Coaches.

Now, maybe since I injected enough humor, more REAL signing photos?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
For a grandma dottie looks like she was at the gun show. she could crush a beer can with her bare mitts.
There is no doubt that when you shook Dottie's hand you knew it. She was a powerful lady and had a personality to go with it.

On a side note, she took no money for that signing. She said that all of the women who played in the Womens Professional League had an agreement that they would sign for free regardless of what kind of signing that they were doing. We did ask about making a donation in her name to an orgainization and I believe we did donate to the Women's Professional League directly for her.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Any idea how Larry views his (very brief) time in the big leagues? Must have been awfully tough to get so close (even worse than Moonlight Graham's story)
Brian,

I did not go there with regards to asking Larry about his close brush with the bigs. I have read that both Larry and Robin were extremely disappointed that Larry got so close, but got the rug of fate yanked out from under him. Yount's HOF acceptance speech actually touched on it and I recall him getting a bit choked up as he covered it.

It was obvious to me that Robin and Larry are very close and share a great bond together, FWIW.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Brian,

I did not go there with regards to asking Larry about his close brush with the bigs. I have read that both Larry and Robin were extremely disappointed that Larry got so close, but got the rug of fate yanked out from under him. Yount's HOF acceptance speech actually touched on it and I recall him getting a bit choked up as he covered it.

It was obvious to me that Robin and Larry are very close and share a great bond together, FWIW.
Thanks for your reply.

It must be tough to have made it so far in a dream vocation, only to miss out.

From "Field of Dreams"...
Ray Kinsella, speaking to Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: "Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within... y-you came this close. It would KILL some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they'd consider it a tragedy."
Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned

can someone tell the larry story for us who dont know?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
can someone tell the larry story for us who dont know?
Taken from Wikipedia

"Lawrence King "Larry" Yount (born February 15, 1950 in Houston, Texas) is a former professional baseball player. Yount (whose younger brother is Hall of Famer Robin Yount) holds the unique distinction of being the only pitcher in Major League Baseball history to appear in the official record books without ever actually having faced a batter. In his only major league appearance on September 15, 1971, he had to leave the game during his warm-up pitches due to injury."
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Default Not a HOF'er !!

But He did do something infamous in Brooklyn Dodger History. That is me on the right. & ( yes am I old enought to have rooted for da bums) It would be fun to see if you young whipersnappers can guess who it is & what he is infamous for. this pic was taken in 1987. Fred Young is barred from the contest since he knows who it is.

Regards,

Len
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 685.jpg (67.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Not a HOF'er !!

But when ya rooted for the Brooklyn Bums like I did , then this guy will forever be in my HOF. yes( I am old enough to have been a Dodger fan.) Lets see if you young whipersnappers can guess who this is. ?? again Fred Young is barred..lol He has seen the pic. He did something famous in Dodger history, unlike my last post.

regards

Len
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 684.jpg (66.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Cal Abrams.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Default Abrams !

Very Good Mark, he usually is hard to guess. Congrats !!!!

Len
Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerob538 View Post
But when ya rooted for the Brooklyn Bums like I did , then this guy will forever be in my HOF. yes( I am old enough to have been a Dodger fan.) Lets see if you young whipersnappers can guess who this is. ?? again Fred Young is barred..lol He has seen the pic. He did something famous in Dodger history, unlike my last post.

regards

Len
Is that Sandy Amoros?

Last edited by 39special; 07-05-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Yes Steve: It's Sandy Amoros , who made that great catch in 55 World series.

Len
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I actually did this on an another message board a few years ago (Pat Neshek's message board). I didnt have a scanner at the time, so I took pictures of the old proof pics. Got some flack for them not coming out the greatest. But here they are!

Bob Feller signing at a local mall. I am pretty sure this was the Fall of 1989. I have posted some pictures of a multisigned HOF program. Well this was Feller being the first one to sign it.

Billy Williams signing at Tunnicliffe Inn (back before MAB did the signings there. I am pretty sure it was Jack Berke at the time).

Joe Pepitone in front of 7th Inning Stretch in Cooperstown.

Paul Blair in back of TJ's place in Cooperstown

Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Harmon Killebrew entering the National Pastime in Cooperstown.

Eddie Matthews in Cooperstown (Collectors' World)

Monte Irvin and Enos Slaughter in Cooperstown (Collector's World)

Richie Ashburn in Cooperstown:

Steve Garvey in Cooperstown:
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Willie Randolf at the Tunnicliffe in Cooperstown:

Pete Rose signing at Mickey's Place in Cooperstown:

Reggie Jackson signing behind TJ's Place in Cooperstown:

Reggie with another signer at TJ's Place. I cannot for the life of me remember who this is. I do remember he is not in the HOF.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Yogi Berra signing at TJ's Place:

Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Phil Rizzuto signing at my local mall. I want to guess this was 1992 (pre-Induction)

At the Tunnicliffe in 1995:

Last edited by Cooptown; 07-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
Billy Williams signing at Tunnicliffe Inn (back before MAB did the signings there. I am pretty sure it was Jack Berke at the time).
Years ago I saw Preacher Roe at a show and had him sign a few items. I thanked Mr. Roe for signing a few items I sent in the mail previously. He smiled and said it was no problem at all.

Jack Berke was standing nearby and heard this exchange. He hustled over and gave me the business for "bothering" Mr. Roe at his home and I shouldn't do it any more, etc.

LOL. I just gathered the items I had just paid for and walked away completely ignoring him.