NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-26-2016, 05:26 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I hope Tormund and Brienne hook up.
I hope the Hound is alive and comes back and destroys that ugly man beast. God I hate her.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 05-26-2016, 07:20 AM

What's to hate about her?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
What's to hate about her?
Nothing at all.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Nothing at all.

+1

I'd climb that

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Daryl

Quote:
I don't think they spent enough time explaining what's going on with Bran. There's no context for anything going on in there.

+1, and I would expand that to several others on the show - not just Bran. I wish they would double the episodes in a season so that they could devote more time to fleshing out these characters. Sometimes they jump around Westeros so much it feels like an Avengers movie.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
+1, and I would expand that to several others on the show - not just Bran. I wish they would double the episodes in a season so that they could devote more time to fleshing out these characters. Sometimes they jump around Westeros so much it feels like an Avengers movie.

Make a note: Daryl needs more flesh.

It's okay with me if they start with that new Red Priestess !

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-28-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:40 AM
edward broeth

one of the best shows ever.

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 05-29-2016, 05:21 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Make a note: Daryl needs more flesh.

It's okay with me if they start with that new Red Priestess !

Ha, no pun was intended. Just a poor choice of words on my part.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Bill Gregory

Another great episode. I'm really loving this season.

Seeing Benjen again made for a powerful moment, imo. There are so few Starks left, and seeing him alive, and well, and protecting Bran...excellent, and unexpected. Could we be seeing another member of the Starks make her long awaited return? /hands clenched in prayer

And the ending of the ep, especially, Daenerys riding down to her Khalisar on Drogon. Wow. That little girl knows how to make an entrance, either buck naked and hot (literally and figuratively) , or on the back of a dragon.

Oh, and Arya has Needle again. That waif girl better be careful.

The only downside is now I have to wait seven more days for another episode. Damn.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM

I was actually loving the episode until the end. Maybe it's just me but sometimes I find Dany's story to be really corny. Or at least they're handling it in a corny way. I felt the same way about the scene where the people in Mereen passed her around.

I loved the rest of it though. I hope that many faced twerp gets needled too. I wonder if they'll put a piece of dragon glass int Bran's heart and he'll be able to walk again.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I hope Bran returns to the Tower of Joy, and sees whatever it is that Ned promised Lyanna. Though if Jon is Lyanna's son, that probably won't come until a later season. I'd also like to see Arya leave Braavos soon. Her whole story line has just been mired in quicksand ever since she got there.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 PM
qu@n nguy3n

unlike some here who looks forward to the boobies (spartacus had better imo), i get excited when some valyrian steel makes an appearance. they're like the t206 wagner of the ASOIAF world.

and they have such cool names heartsbane oathkeeper widow's wail etc.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:25 PM

Man I loved Spartacus too. Crixus #1
Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 PM

I was very disappointed with tonight's episode.

- though I have had that feeling before and after watching one or two more times, it may grow on me...but I doubt it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Bill Gregory

I haven't watched last night's ep yet. I just wanted to post http://tinyurl.com/jzlznww. Emilia Clarke's body double/stand in though the end of last season, Rosie Mac. What a freakin' hottie!!

There are two Khaleesis!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Bill Gregory

Drop dead gorgeous, wow! My sun and stars.....

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Bill Gregory

I watch the show because I love the story, and the characters.

The eye candy is just an extra bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
unlike some here who looks forward to the boobies (spartacus had better imo), i get excited when some valyrian steel makes an appearance. they're like the t206 wagner of the ASOIAF world.

and they have such cool names heartsbane oathkeeper widow's wail etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I watch the show because I love the story, and the characters.

The eye candy is just an extra bonus.

Oh we believe you Bill (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Old 06-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Bill Gregory

Seriously. I was intrigued by what I read before I ever knew there was going to be a lot of t & a. I won't lie, I very much enjoy looking at a 20 something babe jiggling around on my high def tv. But if the show sucked, no naked women would keep me interested. I can always find that online for free. I subscribe to HBO primarily for GoT. And, I've bought the first three seasons on Blu-ray, and will own the others shortly.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Default The One Highlight From Episode 7:

WHO WAS THAT BADASS 10-YEAR-OLD WHO STOLE LAST NIGHT'S 'GAME OF THRONES'?

On last night's Game of Thrones, we finally met Lyanna Mormont, the Lady of Bear Island and niece of the late Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Her only scene lasted just three minutes, but that was all this 10-year-old spitfire needed to steal the whole episode.

Lady Mormont, played by newbie Bella Ramsey, proved that youth is no excuse for poor leadership (*cough* TOMMEN *cough*). The pint-size actress nailed the commanding attitude necessary to survive and prosper in the world of Thrones. Twitter lit up over her defiant speech to Jon, Sansa, and Davos' request for support on the battlefield.

"We were excited about the prospect of the character, because she's mentioned in passing in the previous season," co-showrunner D.B. Weiss tells us in the after-episode commentary. "The more we thought about it, Jon is gonna come up against so many old guys with beards in the North, that, like, what if she was a tougher audience?"

Tough doesn't even begin to describe Ramsey's performance. Weiss added, "It also was terrifying because it's putting a lot of dramatic weight on the shoulders of somebody who needs to be very young, and we're very lucky to have found Bella because she is doing such a great job of just talking smack to these guys who are used to being the heroes who make proclamations."

And he wasn't the only one blown away: as co-executive producer Bryan Cogman said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, "Bella is a terrific young actress -- the whole cast and crew were very impressed. I think, much like the character does with Jon, Sansa, and Davos, Bella kept Kit, Sophie, and Liam on their toes!"

Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Al Richter

Default Thrones

I have never watched an episode but just got back from a trip that included several days and locations in Croatia, including several film locations
Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Al Richter

Default Locations

Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 PM

This week's episode was 'bloody' good...previews look like next week is going to be a 'hum-dinger' (as Luke LaLoosh would say).

will Ramsey Bolton finally get his? Come and See.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Bill Gregory

I watched the last two episodes back to back last night. Loved them both. I hope Ramsay gets it, and I hope Brienne makes it back in time to be the one who chops off his....head.

And Arya is officially a bad ass now. Took care of the many faced girl like a boss, and now she's on her way home. The Starks haven't been together since season one. This will rock if they get Rickon.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 AM

ONLY 2 Episodes left....AAAARGH!

It's not enough!!!

Episode 9 is titled, "Battle of the Bastards" - it had better be great!

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-14-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I watched the last two episodes back to back last night. Loved them both. I hope Ramsay gets it, and I hope Brienne makes it back in time to be the one who chops off his....head.

And Arya is officially a bad ass now. Took care of the many faced girl like a boss, and now she's on her way home. The Starks haven't been together since season one. This will rock if they get Rickon.
i hope they disembowel ramsey and show every gory detail!!! better not be lame death like poisoning!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM
qu@n nguy3n

ep 9 is always the pinnacle and most memorable show each year. this year has been kind of a blur. the showrunners are doing the tl:dr version w/o the book's guidance. damn you GRRM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Maybe I am alone in this but I am really bummed out by how lazy the showrunners and writers are this season. I'm starting to feel like I'm watching late season LOST where writers are desperate to make things happen just to throw away storylines when they don't know where to go with them.

Please tell me why we wasted so much time in Bravos with Arya? She did nothing there except train, which she was already doing with Syrio off screen. Yet we spent episode after episode watching her do it just so she could kill one person and leave.

Riverrun: talk about a waste of time. Brienne goes all the way there just to have Blackfish do the exact thing he would have done had she not even shown up. What was the purpose of those scenes? Could they not have found a way to reunite Brienne and Jamie in a way that advanced the plot?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the showrunners are definitely lost...are all the people in DORNE dead? just so many throwaway storylines. with GRRM you would never get to a destination, but at least the journey getting there is never-ending

edit: i am waiting for a targaryen prequel show, that would be pretty awesome. feels like with GoT success the franchise is not going to end in a couple years with ASOIAF

Last edited by chaddurbin; 06-14-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Maybe I am alone in this but I am really bummed out by how lazy the showrunners and writers are this season. I'm starting to feel like I'm watching late season LOST where writers are desperate to make things happen just to throw away storylines when they don't know where to go with them.

Please tell me why we wasted so much time in Bravos with Arya? She did nothing there except train, which she was already doing with Syrio off screen. Yet we spent episode after episode watching her do it just so she could kill one person and leave.

Riverrun: talk about a waste of time. Brienne goes all the way there just to have Blackfish do the exact thing he would have done had she not even shown up. What was the purpose of those scenes? Could they not have found a way to reunite Brienne and Jamie in a way that advanced the plot?
+1...I hated the arya training episodes...boring and dumb!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:

Um, Arya was a young girl, and had trained with her "dancing master", Syrio Forel, for only a few months, if that, before Ned was murdered, and Arya was forced to flee the Capital. The instruction she received from the nameless girl did much more to advance her fighting abilities. Before this last fight, the only person Arya had ever killed was a fat kid that tried to steal Needle from her. Arya could have never killed this nameless girl based on Syrio's instruction, alone.

Why does every single element in a story have to "advance the narrative"? Can't a character just be shown learning a skill, or a craft? However, here, Arya didn't simply "learn to fight, kill a girl, and leave", as you stated. She'd started down a path to completely forego her identity as Arya Stark to be one of the Faceless. When presented with a task she felt was wrong, she demurred, and didn't poison the woman actress. That had a tremendous impact on her character arc, because had she not refused, and poisoned the woman, who would have helped her when she ultimately refused to commit another kill for the Many-Faced God, and got stabbed? She didn't know anybody else in Bravos except Jaqen, and he was the one who sent the training girl to kill Arya. Arya's mercy for that woman ended up saving her own life. Not sure how you can't see that. And, when Arya confronted Jaqen at sword point, she decided that the path she'd started down was not for her, that she was indeed a Stark, and she was going home. This is an incredible moment of self-affirmation for a young woman. She's stopped running. She's no longer a child, but a woman in control of her own destiny. Both Arya and Sansa have grown by leaps and bounds in this season. The Stark family, which was on the verge of utter collapse at the end of season five, is not only alive and well; they're on the verge of reclaiming their home, Winterfell. Should Jon and Sansa retake Winterfell, the entire family, which has been separated since season one, could reunite. Retaking Winterfell could save Rickon. Arya is returning home. Jon is alive. Sansa has escaped Ramsay Bolton. And, Uncle Benjen is with Bran; he will likely take him south to the wall, and they will be told that Jon and Sansa have returned to Winterfell. The tide could be turning in a very big way. The pieces on the chess board are moving, and the Lannisters, who have seen victory after victory, are on their heels. Cersei has just found out that she is in real trouble, because she has been counting on a trial by combat to save her from the High Sparrow. Now King Tommen, her own son, has ruled that trial by combat is antiquated, and barbaric.

And the Blackfish does the exact same thing he would have done had Brienne not showed up? And the plot wasn't advanced? Really? You, apparently, weren't paying very close attention, because Brienne's appearance at the siege has a dramatic impact on what happens next.

Before Brienne and Podrick show up, Jamie Lannister assumes control of the army, and has a formal parlay with the Blackfish. They size each other up, and the Blackfish balks at the Kingslayer's appeals to forego a battle which would cost thousands their lives. It is quite evident that there is going to be a protracted, bloody siege battle. Thousands of men loyal to the Lannisters are going to die in the retake of the Frey's keep. And, hundreds of men defending the keep will also die. Only when Brienne has shown up does Jamie Lanister try a different approach. After they speak, and Jamie tells Brienne that Oathkeeper is hers forever, only then does the possible result of this battle become clear: as she is leaving, Brienne tells Jamie that should her negotiations with Blackfish fail, she would be honor-bound to fight alongside the Blackfish, as the forces within the keep are aligned with the Starks. This means that Jamie and Brienne could meet in a fight to the death. Jamie clearly does not want this. Though he will not openly admit it, he cares very deeply for Brienne. And she cares for him as well. This is apparent to anybody paying attention when she and Podrick are slowly meandering down the river leaving the keep. Both wave farewell to each other. Jamie would be fully within his authority, and abilities, to have her captured. She is, after all, loyal to the Starks, the Lannister family's sworn enemies. But he lets her go.

Back to Jamie's decision. He has Edmure Tully brought in; they exchange some barbs, Tully questioning Jamie's goodness, and openly mocking "the word" of the Kingslayer when Jamie promises that, should the Blackfish and the soldiers inside the keep surrender by midnight, they will be allowed to leave unharmed. Jamie then tells Edmure that he will have his new bride, and their newborn child brought to the front; Lannister promises to have the child catapulted into the keep if Edmure does not negotiate a surrender. Jamie promises to kill every single Tully in order to complete his task, and return to Cersei. That is the justification he uses, verbally. But he clearly does not want to endanger Brienne's life. The tactic works. Edmure Tully, who is the Lord Commander of the keep, tells the captain of the guard to instruct his men to lay down their arms, and exit the keep; which, they do. The Blackfish fights to the death. He is the only casualty.

So what happened because of Brienne's appearance? Oh, not much changed. Thousands of men didn't die. Jamie Lannister re-took the castle for Walder Frey in one day, instead of taking weeks, if not months, to do so. And, more importantly, hundreds of soldiers, loyal to the Starks, were allowed to leave the keep unharmed (and where could they possibly go now, after the Blackfish received written correspondence from Sansa that they are about to retake Winterfell??) And, both Jamie and Brienne leave the conflict unharmed.

But yeah, Brienne's appearance was not at all consequential.

Respectfully, perhaps you should pay a little more attention to what's really going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
the showrunners are definitely lost...are all the people in DORNE dead? just so many throwaway storylines. with GRRM you would never get to a destination, but at least the journey getting there is never-ending

edit: i am waiting for a targaryen prequel show, that would be pretty awesome. feels like with GoT success the franchise is not going to end in a couple years with ASOIAF
"with GRRM you would never get to a destination, but at least the journey getting there is never-ending "

I don't even know what that means, really. But have you learned nothing from watching this show? Are story arcs ever really "done" with? They're certainly not just "thrown away", as you opined.

We thought Benjen Stark was dead in season one. Lo and behold, he's alive and well, and helping Bran Stark escape the White Walkers in season six.

How about you just wait and see what happens? If, after the series has concluded, there are story arcs that you feel were left to no conclusion, please feel free to share those thoughts. But the show is ongoing, and there are at least 12 hour long episodes remaining. I think the show runners have earned a little leeway after six great seasons. If anything, I think we'd all agree that George RR Martin, and the show runners/writers are masters of misdirection. Just when you think you've got something figured out, or you think somebody is safe, all hell breaks loose.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-15-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 AM
Bill Gregory

And by the way, gang, while George hasn't written a novel to cover the narrative as we're seeing it in season six, be absolutely sure that none of the story lines being written for the show are not meeting his final approval. For instance, the shocking ending of Hodor's life, while clearly not covered in any of Martin's ASOIAF novels, was told directly to David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

George is still very much involved in the creative process. While the writers have been given some leeway, this is still very much George RR Martin's show.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM

You can defend it all you want. The scenes at Riverrun were a disaster in my opinion. The whole show has been moving towards turning Jamie into a better version of himself (i.e. the scenes with him and Tyrion / his daughter / niece and the original scenes with Brienne) only to have him throw all of that away for a blind allegiance to Cersei that seemed thrown in just to drum up some drama. The ancillary things you mention about the keep and the soldiers mean nothing to the overall story. That's all surface and no substance. Who cares about Edmure or his soldiers?

The same is true of Arya. The idea of her losing her identity and reclaiming it is a good storyline. But using Bravos to accomplish that was not a good choice in my opinion. Those scenes were painfully dull. The play scenes between the Starks and the Lannisters were great but it was too little too late if you ask me. There was a ton of time that could have been cut, especially since it seems like Bran is the real power player of the story and has received a fraction of the screen time.

Last edited by packs; 06-15-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Bill Gregory

How the hell do you know what the scene with the soldiers, and the keep, are going to mean going forward? Are you clairvoyant now?

"Who cares about Edmure, or his soldiers?"

Um, Jon Snow and Sansa Stark just might, if those soldiers come to aid their retaking of Winterfell. It might not happen, as there may be insufficient time for them to get there, even if that was their aim. But the point is, you don't know.

You completely whiffed in your assessments of two key scenes. Now, instead of attempting to refute either of the statements I made, you're left with "you can defend it all you want. the scenes were a disaster, in my opinion."

Yes. Your opinion. And your opinion is, seemingly, pretty ill-informed.

And as for Bran receiving a fraction of the screen time...if he'd been receiving more time, you'd be complaining "oh, all Bran does is sit in a tree, and visit things that happen in the past. Nothing really advancing the narrative. Boring!"

If you're enjoying the show so little, stop watching. It's that simple.

Quote:
You can defend it all you want. The scenes at Riverrun were a disaster in my opinion. The whole show has been moving towards turning Jamie into a better version of himself (i.e. the scenes with him and Tyrion / his daughter / niece and the original scenes with Brienne) only to have him throw all of that away for a blind allegiance to Cersei that seemed thrown in just to drum up some drama. The ancillary things you mention about the keep and the soldiers mean nothing to the overall story. That's all surface and no substance. Who cares about Edmure or his soldiers?

The same is true of Arya. The idea of her losing her identity and reclaiming it is a good storyline. But using Bravos to accomplish that was not a good choice in my opinion. Those scenes were painfully dull. The play scenes between the Starks and the Lannisters were great but it was too little too late if you ask me. There was a ton of time that could have been cut, especially since it seems like Bran is the real power player of the story and has received a fraction of the screen time.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-15-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM

Haha ok dude settle down. I already said the concept behind the scenes were things I enjoyed but the execution of them was poor. They pumped the Blackfish for like 3 episodes, gave him 20 minutes of screen time, passed on a battle, and then killed him off screen. That's not compelling to me. Jamie and Brienne could have had their reunion in a much more effective way and the total 180 of Jamie's character out of nowhere let me down tremendously. And that's what I think. I don't care if you agree. This thread isn't about everyone sharing your opinion. I'm free to have my opinion and you're free to have yours.

Last edited by packs; 06-15-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 AM
Bill Gregory

You absolutely are entitled to your opinion, and I welcome reading it. But when you make a statement that has no basis in fact (basically saying Brienne's arrival had no bearing on the outcome), that's a different matter.

Jamie has very strong feelings for Brienne. What other rational is there for his not only giving her Oathbreaker, one of perhaps ten swords in the world made of Valyrian steel, but letting her go when he had every justification for having her captured? Sansa, the woman Brienne serves, is wanted for King Joffrey's murder. If, indeed, he cares very deeply for her, a 180 degree turn is not at all surprising.

"The things we do for love."

Remember Jamie uttering that in the very first episode of season one, right before shoving Bran out of the tower window for seeing he and Cersei in a very compromising position? If his feelings are truly as deep as they seem to be, I don't think his actions are at all surprising.

Quote:
Haha ok dude settle down. I already said the concept behind the scenes were things I enjoyed but the execution of them was poor. They pumped the Blackfish for like 3 episodes, gave him 20 minutes of screen time, passed on a battle, and then killed him off screen. That's not compelling to me. Jamie and Brienne could have had their reunion in a much more effective way and the total 180 of Jamie's character out of nowhere let me down tremendously. And that's what I think. I don't care if you agree. This thread isn't about everyone sharing your opinion. I'm free to have my opinion and you're free to have yours.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 AM

The 180 I was talking about with Jamie was that his character was on an arc of redemption. He begins the series as this cruel, warrior-type that has a blind faith in his name and family. But throughout the series he's wavered in key moments, like when he allowed Tyrion to escape or when he initially came to Brienne's aid. When he lost his hand he seemed to lose some of what he was in the past as well. He goes on this great mission to rescue his daughter and tries to mentor her as a father shortly before she dies, something he wouldn't have done in the past. And then we get to Riverrun where he simply decides he will just continue to be the same Jamie he had always been, with a blind allegiance to Cersei.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM
qu@n nguy3n

for being just a support character who probably won't be there 'til the end, jamie's arc has been one of the most fleshed out of the show. it's fascinating to see him go from the show's biggest villain in season 1 ("the things i do for love") to slowly turning face and becoming a hero in the eyes of many. i feel his struggle (losing his hand), sorrow (loss of his daughter), rejection by cersei, hopelessness etc etc moreso than my attachment with many other main characters like daenerys or jon snow tyrion (is he a lannister or targaryen?). the show is intentionally ambiguous with the old good guys/bad guys trope so in the end it's up to the viewers to identify who they root for.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Bill Gregory

So, he's conflicted?

How many people in real life, or how many characters have you seen on television that were clearly good, or bad? I don't know why you're surprised that one of George RR Martin's focal characters is unpredictable. Most of the main characters on the show have displayed inner conflict of some kind. Ned Stark was a moral man, his loyalty to the King was unquestionable. Yet, when called upon to be the King's Hand, he was incredibly conflicted. He wanted to stay in Winterfell with Catelyn and his family. And as strong as his loyalty to was, he refused to have Danerys killed on the King's order. He relinquished his position as Hand because it conflicted with his principles.

Catelyn felt conflicted by Jon Snow. He was a constant reminder of her husband's infidelity. Yet, towards the end of her life, she admitted feeling shame for the way she treated him. Yet, she could still never embrace him.

I could go on. The point being none of the characters on this show are one dimensional. They might revert to one path, but they will do things that surprise you. Tyrion Lannister is portrayed, early on, as a miscreant, a drinking, womanizing little monster that embarrasses his father, Tywin. But he's also wildly intelligent, and he is wise beyond his years. He also has a very clear sense of right and wrong. He has surprised me time and time again. Then, he kills his father with a crossbow.

If one thing should be clear after six seasons, it's that nothing is ever really clear.

Quote:
And then we get to Riverrun where he simply decides he will just continue to be the same Jamie he had always been, with a blind allegiance to Cersei.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 AM

No offense man but you act like you can't criticize something if you like it. I like GoT but that doesn't mean it's a perfect thing just because I like it. And it's not perfect because you like it either.

Last edited by packs; 06-17-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Bill Gregory

You can criticize whatever you like. I just don't get why you think a character can't act in a manner that differs from their normal personality. Joffrey was sadistic; pure evil. I don't recall, off the top of my head, his ever diverging from that frame of mind. Everybody else in the Lannister family has surprised me, at one time or another, by being out of character. Even Tywin. I could say the same thing about everybody, pretty much, in the Stark family.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Absolutely epic! One of the best episodes of the entire series.

Somebody get me an animated gif of Jon Snow beating Ramsay Bolton half to death. Wow.

"You know why people like violence? Because, it feels good."

Why yes, sometimes it does.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:57 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
absolutely epic! One of the best episodes of the entire series
+1000
Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM

I have to admit...I miss Ramsay already- especially his smirk...

Hey, Rover, how did he taste?

I'll miss 'the Big Guy' too. Who knew his right eye was his weak spot.

It was an awesome episode!

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-20-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 PM
pete ullman

awesome fight scenes...unrivaled! it looks like we're shaping up for an all female run kingdom with reek as their servant!!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Great episode. Wouldn't want Wun Wun becoming a white walker, that's for sure. I'm sure Littlefinger is up to some creepy plan too.

Side note: not sure if any of you watched Last Kingdom on BBC America but I think you'd enjoy it.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Default I Just Could Not Resist:

Wun Wun & Done

Something I did not know: Wun Wun is named after Phil Simms, a quarterback for the New York Giants who wore #11.

WUN WUN and DONE.jpg

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-21-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Season 6 went out with a bang.

Sorry, couldn't resist being punny.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Default GOT Season Finale

That's the most awesome 10-year-old actress in the world!!!

I'm glad they got rid of a lot of tiresome characters in Kings Landing.

I can do without Samwell and everybody in Dorne too.

A Very Good Last Episode after last week's Masterpiece!

Lots of stuff to look forward to next season!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM
Bill Gregory

That may very well be the best episode in the six years the show has been on. Even better than last week's, which is saying something. What a roller coaster.

Cersei started out
Then, she was
Then, she was
Then, she was

Epic epic epic television! Loved every moment. Can't wait for season seven!