NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Oddball Topps Listings in Stirling and ACC Updates

I just got my copy of Stirling's Sports Card Catalog from Leon and have been paging through it. This slim book from 1977 was the source of some odd revisions to the ACC numbering system. T206 became T2060, you get issues like W3663, etc. as the author tried to establish a four digit code for general use.

The ACC updates published by Buck Barker also altered the ACC numbering for Topps at a point near then end of it's run (Tenth Catalog Additions, 1971) which ditched the R414-1, R414-2 sequence for Topps and some other bubble gum cards (such as Fleer) that looks to have topped out at R414-48 for Topps. As there was a three year gap in updates, the last having been issued in 1968, it appears Buck was either tinkering with things before doing the tenth update series (four parts, issued May thru Dec.) or he just ran out of steam as the project discontinued in '71 as Card Collector's Bulletin, a longtime hobby pub steered by Barker and which featured the updates, ceased to exist.

Barker apparently developed a yearly suffix for annually issued sports sets, so the first set picked up in this sequence was 1968 Topps Baseball, described as R414-68. 1969 became R414-69 and in 1970 we got R414-70-1 for the regular issue and R414-70-2 for the really rare Cloth Stickers. A good idea as the ACC's main problem in my mind is lack of chronological sequencing in the coding.

Anyway, Buck's listing of the 70 Cloth Stickers shows they were contemporary to their time and I scoured Stirling to see what he had in 1977.
Basically, there is an intriguing listing for the Topps Dice Game which shows 1963 as date of issue, really the only surprise I've found so far. Interesting but Stirling also has the Plaks as a 1972 issue so '63 could be wrong.

Another set I cannot figure is a 1968 Topps baseball poster issue of 16, measuring 11" x 14" and ID'd as R429-68-1 in the ACC Updates and R3728 in Stirling. I may be having a senior moment but cannot place this poster issue. It's not the Action All Stars mistakenly identified and the Player Posters from '68 are listed in both books, so I am confused as to what this could be.

Well, just some ramblings on a rainy morning.....
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Dave, I have a 1968 Killebrew poster, LMK if you want a picture of it, that might help you out of the senior moment John
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
Dave, I have a 1968 Killebrew poster, LMK if you want a picture of it, that might help you out of the senior moment John
John:

Appreciate the offer-it may not help though!

Actually, both books have the 67 (32 issued) 68 (24) 69 (24) and 70 (24) posters listed correctly and with proper sizing for the '67 player posters. This is a 2nd set of posters from 1968 with 16 subjects and smaller in measurement.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Maybe he's descriping the 1968 football posters that came in first series wax packs, there are 16 to that set?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
Maybe he's descriping the 1968 football posters that came in first series wax packs, there are 16 to that set?
That's what I thought too but both books have those listed properly as well. I have no idea what is being referred to but both pubs had it and at 11" x 14" to boot. Stirling may have cribbed it from ACC?

I wonder if it's an OPC issue misidentified as Topps?

Just noticed Stirling has 66 known for the 70 Topps cloth stickers...paging Dr. Kildare, paging Dr. Kildare....please revive Mr. Fisk....

Last edited by toppcat; 06-11-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Just noticed Stirling has 66 known for the 70 Topps cloth stickers...paging Dr. Kildare, paging Dr. Kildare....please revive Mr. Fisk....
DOH!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default Talking about cloth stickers

Bob - what did you think of the prices zindlers just got for the 2 '72 stickers auctions that they just had - Aaron and the lot of 11?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Bob F.

They seemed about right. It's hard to sell the ones that are cut short, so lumping them into a lot probably made sense. Dean doesn't come right out and say that the backing is attached on any of them--he just says that the lot comes with original backings. I've never seen one as miscut as the Aaron, so that price was probably in the ballpark as well.