NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Ebay: Pretty High Prices on Early Hockey Auctions

Was following/bidding on a few auctions that closed on Sunday - a C56 and a couple C144 (Champs) in PSA 4, 5 and 5.5 holders. Wow, these cards went WAY over the most recent sales on these cards...like around double! Cards that previously (within last year or so) went for $255 going for $450-$510.

Is this a recent trend for 2010? When I attended a card show in WA earlier this year several dealers and collectors told me vintage hockey was "hot". Even though I only had a few hockey cards with me, they were the ones I sold fairly quickly and for the best prices. Anyone have any observations on this either way?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 10-25-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Patrick N.

Default Shilling

Just a reminder that a very large chunk or eBay auctions are shilled so that could be a possible explanation for above normal $'s...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Just a reminder that a very large chunk or eBay auctions are shilled so that could be a possible explanation for above normal $'s...
I appreciate that this is a real concern, however I don't believe that a "very large chunk" of eBay auctions are shilled.

These lots were from the same seller, who posts here, so I hope not.

But since you raised the issue I reviewed the bid history on 3 of the lots. Looks like normal competitive strong bidding to me. Several bidders going at it. None of the bidders had a crazy percentage of bids placed with this seller (most 10% or less), and many bidders had high feedback scores - some higher than this dealer.

So back to the question - are these just outlier results or is early hockey "hot" in general?

Cheers,
Blair
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Hockey

I have also noticed strong prices for vintage hockey. Particularly, PSA graded rookie cards which continue to sell for top dollar.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Hot

This time of year is always hot for hockey---I know I get the bug as well and spend a little more than I should...Its hard not to get excited over another season-especially with the recent parity....As far as pricing it always seems like hockey fans have the $$$$$...Looking for a 1950s Canadiens pennant with hockey player on it...Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Was bidding on some of the eBay auctions by N54 member John Nguyen this past week. Huge prices for these cards!

He had a pair of Champs Cigs commons in PSA 5. They each went for $411 and $456. A few months back, another eBay seller had a bunch of these in the same grade, which sold around $170 each or less.

Of even greater interest, John sold a bunch of PSA-graded 1925 Dominion Chocolate hockey singles, including several HOFers. Many were quite nice, all with coupons still intact. Based on past VCP prices, these sales blew those away. Well over established VCP on pretty much all of them.

Maybe a lesson to sell vintage hockey during the Stanley Cup finals?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 06-07-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Bill

Blair,

I have noticed it as well. I am working on the 51 Parkie set and even the commons are selling for more. 5s are selling for what 6s sold for last year. It is definitely noticeable. But, like Kyle said, the playoffs almost always bump the prices up. I usually get the lowest prices for hockey from late July thru early December.

Bill

Vintage Soccer (mainly pre-1930 and cards of the greats from any years)

Check out my site: CollectFutbol.com
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Michael S

Yes, I was blown out of the water on some vintage Hockey cards in a recent large auction house auction. Prrobably several factors currently influencing the market.