NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Devin

Default How do you open a PSA graded Holder?

Hi, I have a couple of graded ticket stubs that I've purchased on ebay. I want to have them framed in a collage to hang on my wall. So question.. How do you open a PSA graded plastic holder without braking it or more importantly opening the plastic older with out damaging the ticket?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonrosa View Post
Hi, I have a couple of graded ticket stubs that I've purchased on ebay. I want to have them framed in a collage to hang on my wall. So question.. How do you open a PSA graded plastic holder without braking it or more importantly opening the plastic older with out damaging the ticket?
Freezer, brass hammer, and large sharp knife wait you just want to release the imprisoned tickets. LOL

Just take a good knife and put it in the seam at the top of the holder and hit the back of the knife blade with a hammer and it will break the welded seam. Then pry the 2 pieces of plastic apart and rescue the tickets.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Freezer, brass hammer, and large sharp knife wait you just want to release the imprisoned tickets. LOL

Just take a good knife and put it in the seam at the top of the holder and hit the back of the knife blade with a hammer and it will break the welded seam. Then pry the 2 pieces of plastic apart and rescue the tickets.
What he said. PSA cases are easy to crack. Instead of a knife I use a small screwdriver or else I'd probably cut my fingers off
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
What he said. PSA cases are easy to crack. Instead of a knife I use a small screwdriver or else I'd probably cut my fingers off
+1...on both accounts LOL
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Al Richter

Default Freeing Up captured cards

I use a bolt cutter...really. Never had a card damaged. Takes 5 seconds.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

i take a hammer and gently tap all around the edges, cracking the plastic. if you go all the way around, the 2 sides will just come apart. as far as i can tell, there is no chance of harming the slab contents with this method.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Mike

I just cracked out 5 cards and 6 exhibits PSA and SCG. Take either needle nose plyers or regular plyers and snap off top right or left corner. Then slide a small
Screwdriver along the edge. Pretty easy. When snipping off corner, do it quick
and fast. Let us know how it works out.

Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Default Chop Saw

I use my chop saw (i.e. miter saw) to slice through all holders. I've liberated 20+ cards with no issues at all - even with the tough Beckett holders.

Might seem like overkill but it works!

Z Wheat
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Doug Goodman

I've used a kitchen knife on hundreds of cards, and a hammer and screw driver on a few of the more complicated ones (like 1956 Topps pins).

But I love the vision that I have in my head of Al with bolt cutters. He has a crazed grin, tossled hair, and there's blood that probably isn't his...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Mark

Fold a washcloth over the card (top and bottom). Firmly tap a hammer along the top edge. Take a flathead screwdriver and slide it between the layers of plastic at the tag area and lift up. The case will pop apart.

Although I free ALL my cards from holders I do keep the tags with them to show the previous grading.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:02 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Has anybody cracked open a PSA case containing a HOF plaque postcard? I don't see a seam around the edge. Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by jimjim; 11-24-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM
D@vid L@dd

I use a dremel with a cut-wheel...very easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Exclamation HOW great!

Love these postings, glad I'm not the only person,cutting graded cards free!I"v use most of these,but use the bolt cutters the most?But some collects would think we are nuts?But if something is wild,set it free!Great job guys, keep it up!Rob,
Old 11-26-2016, 03:33 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I use a bolt cutter...really. Never had a card damaged. Takes 5 seconds.
That's funny...exactly what I do. Bolt cut the top, slip in screwdriver and spread it apart. 100% success, takes a second. PSA by far the easiest. I save the tags too, I have a nice pile.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Scott B.

just watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN86mNVuFr8