NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Al Richter

Default Early Topps Game Cards

I just ended up with my 3d set of the 68 Game cards. I first put the set together card by card. Because I like to have a "pack" with each set, I bought a box, which came with another set ( it is hard to find empty boxes or someone selling one without the cards). Then I realized there are two variations to the boxes, hence the 3d set. And there are variant cards too

The 68 Game I assume followed up on the 51 game sets, Red and Blue backs. I also put those together card by card initially ( Blues are tougher). I know some folks do panels. I did not attempt that for Blues, but did end up with a paneled Red back set in a "pack" with an actual game board

Old 07-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Steve

Hey, neat stuff, Al. Don't think I've ever seen those '68 cards. Are the variant cards in that set traded players, as in the '51's? Wonder if Sy Berger was waxing nostalgic about Topps' initial set some seventeen years later?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Al Richter

Steve-- as far as I know there are no true variations in the 68 set. The individual cards I posted are all print defects. The Clemente with a botched letter in his name, and the other 3 where the backs either came through or were overprinted on the fronts.

The 2 true variations in the 51 set did involve trades.

Back of 51 pack with game board showing

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Game Cards

Very neat Al. For some reason I really like those with the print defect (probably because there not supposed to be that way). Have you ever seen a Brooksie with that type of defect?

Man, those "BATTER UP" boxes make the set even better!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Dave Becker

What price does a box of NM 1968 game cards go for if you don't mind me asking? I've always wanted a complete set but haven't had the patience to put one together card by card.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 07-12-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Very neat Al. For some reason I really like those with the print defect (probably because there not supposed to be that way). Have you ever seen a Brooksie with that type of defect?

Man, those "BATTER UP" boxes make the set even better!
Agreed -- they look great. And those 1951 Topps in the package are awesome. Al has some great stuff in his collection.

Mark, are you the kind of Brooks Robinson collector who's always looking for oddball Brooks material? If so I'll have to keep that in mind.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTheBetter View Post
Mark, are you the kind of Brooks Robinson collector who's always looking for oddball Brooks material? If so I'll have to keep that in mind.
Dave,

Yes; I'm that person who is always looking for oddball stuff of Brooksie. Appreciate you keeping me in mind if you run across any cool items Brooks related. As a matter of fact I'm sure Al has some of those odd pieces I'm looking for, but will not let 'em go...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Dave, unless you're looking for a minty rack-pack set of the '68 game cards, putting a set together is actually fairly fast and easy.
There are only 33 cards in the set, and they're everpresent on eBay, often in groups or partial sets of like 5, 10, 15, 20 cards.
It took us only three or four inexpensive eBay buys to put together almost two complete sets.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Dave Becker

The Topps sets that I collect are 1968-72.

The first Topps cards that I ever bought were those 1968 burlap/wheatina cards. I don't recall which series had the game cards but I did get a number of them and still have them. Probably not more than 10 total and most not in great shape now. I do have a very nice Mantle. He'd faded at the end and was only a single. Killebrew was in his prime and a double.

I love the inserts in those sets and I would like to get the rest of the game cards. I also like the 1969 deckle edge inserts and have a nice assortment of those. I'm not much of a completist when it comes to sets. I never cared to spend much on common players or cards that really don't have much eye appeal. And if they're not 1968-72 then I'm not interested anyway. Collect what you like as they say.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 07-14-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hi Al,

I had a lot of fun putting together the 68 Game set. And actually playing the game with the cards is a blast still today. I just started the 51 Red Backs and am looking forward to working on that set. Thanks for posting these.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here