NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default Memory Lane Mantles

I just looked at the '52 Topps Mantles in the Memory Lane auction preview. Anybody else think the SGC 5 might go for more than the PSA 7?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I just looked at the '52 Topps Mantles in the Memory Lane auction preview. Anybody else think the SGC 5 might go for more than the PSA 7?
If it doesn't, it should be very close, imo.

I prefer the SGC copy but usually the PSA ones win out, sadly.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM

I am not sure why. The SGC has better color, but is badly off centered with wear on all 4 corners. I would be surprised in the SGC copy goes for more than the average for grade. Does centering no longer count? I would expect the PSA to go for less than the average 7, but still more than the SGC.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

I hate descriptions like this, what is the point? It reads to me like a parody of a description.

The breathtaking eye appeal is synonymous with Mantle's magnificent legacy, starting with the classic bat over shoulder pose portraying a strong aqua-marine blue background. You can virtually feel Mickey's curious nature as he gazes into the future with a youthful innocence that would eventually lead to his immortal Yankee standing. Immaculate resolution, sparkling facial hues, a glistening obverse side surface, white borders, a clean verso. This one looks better than the offered grade.

PS I would be shocked if the 7 did not go for quite a bit more than the 5.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That description looks like someone threw up a thesaurus.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

These are likely too small but I thought I'd try, for comparison sake.

Each have their plus's. The PSA 7 is the double printed copy while the SGC is it's first, if that makes a difference?

Centering on both is off but the PSA copy is more consistent top to bottom on the right border.

The PSA copy has more scuff marks but the colors do look bolder (Scanner?)

Roll the dice I suppose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle PSA 7.jpg (77.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle SGC 5.jpg (74.7 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by irv; 07-25-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM
je.sse @rnot

There is no chance the sgc 5 goes for more than the psa 7. I would be shocked if it went for half as much. A nice dead centered 5 could bring close to what that 7 will though.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
There is no chance the sgc 5 goes for more than the psa 7. I would be shocked if it went for half as much. A nice dead centered 5 could bring close to what that 7 will though.
After having another look after posting the pics up, I'd say the PSA copy will most likely win out now as well.

I like the colors better and the centering. PSA usually wins out with equally graded SGC's and I think if the SGC 5 was somehow another PSA 7, it would come in second.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM
pete ullman

I prefer the sgc...if I had to pick. I like the background blue color better on the first run too.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I prefer the sgc...if I had to pick. I like the background blue color better on the first run too.
And why should we care about your opinion?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Mine is a first run card yet it looks more like the second run PSA copy than it does the first run SGC copy.
It could be the scans, I am not sure, but it does have me wondering?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM1.jpg (78.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg MickMays.jpg (78.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1579 (Large).jpg (71.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And why should we care about your opinion?
To me it looks like (to borrow the BGS criteria) the SGC card has better centering, edges, and surfaces, while the corners are about the same (SGC slightly better on the top, and PSA slightly better on the bottom).
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

The color on the PSA looks normal to me, the color on the SGC looks strange. Do they really vary that much?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
The color on the PSA looks normal to me, the color on the SGC looks strange. Do they really vary that much?
Same.

I couldn't think of a better scan that shows a multiple of Mantle cards than this PSA one.

Note, both print runs are shown from 10 gem mint down and the only one that looks anything like (imo) to the SGC copy is the Fair 1.5.

Maybe the blue tint/hue card is a variation?
https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...andards/#cards

Last edited by irv; 07-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
As far as I know variations A and B do not have different background colors.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
To me it looks like (to borrow the BGS criteria) the SGC card has better centering, edges, and surfaces, while the corners are about the same (SGC slightly better on the top, and PSA slightly better on the bottom).
I don't know what you are seeing. SGC is slightly better centered, though badly off centered, but tilted. I would give them equivalent centering, the SGC better surface, though some here disagree with me. The PSA has better edges and much better corners. The PSA has sharp corners with a slight touch on lower right. The SGC has wear on all 4 and slight rounding on upper right and lower right.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
David M.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess, based on these scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Mantle New PSA 8 Memory Lane 462K April 2017.jpg (65.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Mantle Old PSA 8 Hunt Auctions 215K July 2017.jpg (68.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mantle From Rosen Find Front.jpg (78.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mantle SGC84.jpg (79.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mantle Front.jpg (76.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Goodwin Mantle 2016.jpg (78.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg REA 1952 Mantle Front.jpg (69.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Goldin Mantle For Boards.jpg (73.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Of those all but the 86 seem to me to at least be in the same neighborhood and scan differences could account for it. They all look the slightest bit blue/green to me and with a more vibrant facial color.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
David M.

Quote:
Of those all but the 86 seem to me to at least be in the same neighborhood and scan differences could account for it. They all look the slightest bit blue/green to me and with a more vibrant facial color.
I agree with you. I think the scanner settings could have a lot to do with the apparent difference. It could also be the way the cards are stored over the years or different print runs. The PSA 7 of the original two cards discussed has a particularly dark blue/green background.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

It's SGC ones look off to me so maybe it's the type of plastic they use in their holders? I know it's a stretch but maybe they scan different or something like that?
In hand, my Mantle is more green than anything, and being bluish, like the SGC copies, never even crossed my mind.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-...earch-suggests
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

"And what we said of it became a part of what it was." Wallace Stevens

Old 07-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Scott Russell

Not a 52 Mantle expert (because, well, why bother!) but on card with PSA Cert 02108511 what is up with the border around his name. I used to do newspaper layout by hand in highschool and I'd've gotten canned if I couldn't tool any straighter than that! Is that considered a variation, it's the only one I see like that, and obviously is NOT just a print issue.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
"And what we said of it became a part of what it was." Wallace Stevens
sort of the poetic equivalent of schroedinger's cat.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Al Richter

The card was a DP and the wavy line....and truncated e in the auto are traits of one version. On the back of that version the stitches on the ball run to the left. On the other version to the right. The Robinson and Thompson cards, the other DPs in the high series have the same back differences and minor front differences as well. The SCD Standard catalog used to list all 3 as variations ...at least through 2014,

The two different Mantles should exist in fairly equal numbers. It was when SCD listed them as variations I felt compelled to go out and get the second versions

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-26-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Not a 52 Mantle expert (because, well, why bother!) but on card with PSA Cert 02108511 what is up with the border around his name. I used to do newspaper layout by hand in highschool and I'd've gotten canned if I couldn't tool any straighter than that! Is that considered a variation, it's the only one I see like that, and obviously is NOT just a print issue.
Stars are wavy on the version without a full box around the team logo. Also note the missing pixel (white dot) along the left border towards the top. And on the others note the missing pixel in the lower left corner of the black border.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
This link explains it and also details what to look out for in a counterfeit copy.
http://bbcemporium.com/1952-topps-mi...terfeit-guide/

Lots of counterfeits exist, as you likely know, but the one that sticks out to me the most was the one that had a first version front but a 2nd version back, or maybe it was the other way around?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
After seeing the SGC at the National, the color is normal. The difference is a lighting issue from the picture.