NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default OK, Leon- the time has come...Your FIRST Auction!

Posted By: MVSNYC

Leon- i have such a bad taste in my mouth with eBay right now...(please see my post about my account getting hacked)...

i have an idea...let's have your FIRST auction (one item, for now)...my T206 PSA 1 Lou Ritter DRUM BACK!

do it however you wish, it will be the "first auction experiment"...

let me know what you think?

regards,
michael sarno

p.s. bidding after 8 days reached $905, before the hacker ended my auction (then sent fake second chance offers to all bidders)...so let's make that the reserve.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Between reprints,unknown sellers,fake second chance offers,paypal horror stories,and ebays new private bidding im surprised that auction idea wasnt alot closer to 99% for it,instead of about 75/25 for it

Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

And I was so hoping Michael you were offering me the Southern Leaguer for $500....LOL

Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I doubt the problem of the password compromise is with eBay. Passwords keyed in on the eBay site are encrypted. If your password was compromised, it may be due to an intrusive user gaining access to your file system on your PC. Without proper research, it would be a poor excuse to start auctions on Net54 under faulty pretenses. From a security standpoint, never allow your browser settings to remember a password to a site where $$$ or other sensitive information is involved.

I will admit though, using this forum as an auction house is a bad idea imo.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Leon:

We have four cards that we could add to the auction.

Let us know

All are high grade 1930's cards with a VCP value between 500 and 1000 each.

Bruce

Old 01-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I got fairly well slammed by quite a few for just having the idea. I thought it was good and so did most others but it wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I ended up leaving the board for several days because of it. I don't know what to say.....I don't want people to think I am just in the hobby for the money (I think that's crazy if you look at my website (sales vs collection) but what do I know?). Can I use a parenthesis in a parenthesis?... I sell stuff on my website and there are banner ads. If I do anything else I might be labeled a money grubbing wh*** again . I am not that and don't want to be known as that....Some feel this site is too commercial already. I was for the auction and think ebay leaves a lot to be desired but it's still fairly cheap and has a big audience. Ya'll convince the naysayers and we can go from there. I am not suggesting one again... .best regards

Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Auction Auction Auction!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Auction Auction Auction!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

well how about somebody else does the auction among board members and we are allowed to discuss it on the board? Then you have no actual involvement besides letting us talk about it and put a link to it(and possibly a free banner since its us doing it?),which basically already happens with every major auction and ebay anyway. Didnt someone already have a site set up for it?

It will still be board members doing it that way,and whoever doesnt want to participate obviously doesnt have to,and Leon wont have to do a thing or take sides or worry about people thinking the board is going commercial.It will be exactly what we want,just not run by our great leader,Lord Leon

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't mind helping out any way possible with an auction myself

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Doesn't Leon have to install complicated software first? Or will this be done with people just emailing or posting bids? You need a format.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

As long as I don't get pegged with it.....I do think ebay could use some competition in our area and I hate the new format..best regards

Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

I would offer to run it...but I don't even know what I would be doing or how it would transpire. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Well who steps up then among board regulars and starts this auction? Im sure youll have plenty of help from others.

Im assuming Leon just agreed to the free banner too as his way to help instead of being at all involved in the actual auction?

Dont worry Leon,ill draw up a contract that says you are not liable for anything that goes on in the auction.I hope you can use crayons for legal documents

edited to add* Barry,you would be a good person to hold and eventually mail the cards for the auction since youre so highly respected and trusted already,im assuming(again) thats what you were volunteering for? I believe someone on the board had a auction program already up on their site but never used it,but offered to...can someone go find that out in the old thread,im too busy wasting a saturday

Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Administrator

F-it...let's give it a shot...(as long as Leon is ok with it)...

how about i post the "Drum Auction" (for now on the main VBCF page) and just let people post their bids?

it will run 7days from the exact time it is posted...

is this ok Leon? if so, could you please do me a favor (since i am not at my work computer, which has the scans) can you post the front & back images of my T206 Drum for me? i emailed them to you initially to help post them for me in the B/S/T area...

let's give it a shot...

the bidding on eBay got upto $905, so maybe that should be the reserve. it will start at $99.99 and see what happens.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Leon

You havea few Board Members who would complain about anything and everything/

You are entitled to earn a living and be rewarded for your efforts. That is
the American Way and that is only fair.

The nay Sayers are few and far between. They can collect their "beaters"
and rot away in their little shacks. Frankly who the hell cares?

They probably worship the sports writers who voted against Ripken and Gwynn
getting into the Hall of Fame

So conduct an auction...build it up and make $5 million if you can.

Good luck...;let's get the auction going

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

"They can collect their "beaters"
and rot away in their little shacks. Frankly who the hell cares?"

Nice to know your real feelings there Bruce...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I dont think he was agreeing to that.Sounds like he was agreeing to the independant auction run by board members on a different site than this and letting us discuss it and advertise it as a whole auction in a thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I am game if you are. We can see how it goes. After thinking about it more I am pretty sure folks just don't want me making money off of it...and I am ok with that too. I just don't have a lot more time to put into the board than I already do, to handle stuff. But if ya'll want to devise something go for it. I will help with a banner or even a link....whatever ya'll want...I just don't want to be the focal point, so to speak. I want this site to stay a chatboard with the wealth of information and folks on it. I really enjoy it when I am not getting slammed ....

Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

John,

IMO if the auction has a format where people send in cards to one place or person and they are all auctioned at once, then we have added nothing new to the system. Even if "board members do it" we have still added nothing new. Most current auction houses are run by people that post on this board or read this board, and several are run by frequent contributors. Those folks are already filling that niche, and to be honest I don't think adding another would help the ebay situation.

I thought the thing would be more like ebay in that each person selling would set up and run their own auction for one or two cards or a lot or whatever. No sending cards to a central place, no having all lots auctioned at once. Someone could do it either via software or even just letting people run them manually on BST by indicating auction format, end date and that bids must be posted not emailed so it's transparent. Seller - auction - buyer in a simple chain with no middle person at all. I thought that's what the discussion was about, but will admit that my memory may be influenced by my opinion.

I am about as mad at ebay as I've been in a long time over the hidden bidder issue. But bottom line is that I've never consigned my cards anywhere and don't think my collection merits doing it any time soon. If whatever this board comes up with is the same as what's already available, I'll probably stick with ebay if regular BST doesn't work.

Just my two cent's worth.

Joann

Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

ok, i will post it in a few minutes...

i will also try to be clear about the rules (they will be very simple and cut & dry)...

i might get slammed here by people, but since Leon is letting me try this experiment on his forum, it is only fair that i give him a small %...i think 2% would be fair, and going forward others posting auctions, can decide whether or not they want to give a percentage, that way no one can blame Leon for charging the fee...it will be up to the seller...

MS

Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Joanne i believe people want an ebay format,not an auction house format,and the seller/buyer fees would be small or non-existant.If people want to collect the money and mail out their own cards then whatever,i dont care i dont plan on actually running the site or selling anything just bidding(with confidence). The reason i said send them to a certain place is because,if there is fees involved in the auction then the person running it is sure to get their cut. If theres no fees involved then theres obviously no reason for that step of the process

Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Joann, i assumed the same, liek eBay, we each are responsible (sellers), to post, and send the card(s) to the winner, pretty simple, like B/S/T except it will be auctioned on the forum, like a post...

this is all new, so lets see how it goes...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

To do it like ebay you need to have software. If Michael is going to auction his Drum back on BST, which I suppose anyone can do, let's track it and see if he is satisfied with how it worked out.

And Bruce- when it comes to insulting people who don't share your views or have your wherewithal, you certainly have it down to a science. I don't like to call you out on the board but that comment about people rotting in their shacks warrants it. How about we just kill all the poor people? Wouldn't that make for a better world?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

The simple solution is what Max said last week...just use the B/S/T board. Put up your card in the proper category and label it an auction. Make whatever rules you want - if you have a reserve you may as well start it at that otherwise you are wasting bandwidth and time. Personally I would let it run for a week have increments of $10 or 5% or however you want to do it. Once it runs at the end of the week without a bid for 15 minutes past 7 days then the auction is over.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

But Dan- to run an auction on BST without software, and close it after no bids come in for 15 minutes, you would have to monitor it with a watch and possibly stay up well into the night. With ebay you are on automatic pilot. I think without software this would have to be done manually.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

its worth giving it a shot.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Why? Just check in on it everyday and if you have a question answer it right on the thread. Just make sure you're around when you have said it will close.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

I just exchanged an email with Leon and this is my idea which he said will be ok if others agree.

At a set time,we will post one thread and anyone can put a card for auction in the thread. For instance,if we start it at 8pm tonight EST,then no matter when you post the card in thread the auction ends at 8pm EST next saturday. All questions and comments about the cards in the auction will be sent directly to the seller and there will be no other threads discussing the cards being auctioned(we have a chatroom,and each others emails for that). The cards in the thread will be just like the B/S/T(caveat emporer,buyer beware) and Leon/Brian will have no actual involvement in the transactions.No buyers or sellers fees either.The no discussions in the thread is just to keep it from being a 300 response thread where scans and bids could get lost between talking.

How does everyone feel about this idea?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

I really see it as no different than making a best offer by such and such time.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

You should limit that thread to just a few items then or it will get very confusing. I think setting up a new section in the BST trade area just for auctions would work better where everyone could post their own item in its own thread. Also if there is no discussion in the thread how do you ask a question about an item?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I guess it is worth trying. But how will the ending work? Without software you can't snipe. Does it end 8:00 on the button or keep going? Do bidders need to qualify first? If it ends exactly at 8:00, how does everyone get a valid bid in?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

And... bids should be posts to the thread.

auction ending at 8pm / or when there are no more posts for 15 minutes.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I appreciate the offer of a small percentage but I WILL NOT ACCEPT ONE RED CENT..let's see how this goes...and if too many people are going to die over it we can re-think it. I will not make a penney...that's my only rule....we'll see...

ps...I am not opposed to setting an auction thread in the BST pages....if that's what ya'll want....as long as I am not involved in transactions

Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

that you qualify bidders before the auction.

So... preview the item for a week...
at which time - potential bidders should email you to be on the bidding list.

Then start the auction.

Anyone who wants to bid should be on your list.

*my concern here is that people will just try to screw with the auction by posting fake bids.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

ok, i'm happy looks like i have started a HOT thread...

i think everyone is throwing out great ideas. why don't let me auction run loose and see what happens, after it ends next week, we can analyze what worked and what didn't, then revise or enhance the process...?

***P.S. Leon- do you still have those images of the drum (front & back)? it is also still in the B/S/T area...do you mind posting them in the auction, please?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

There still may be some issues that arise that we haven't thought of yet...and what section of BST will these be posted? What are the bidding increments?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

the fake bid thing could be an issue.. should there be "no" anonymity in the auctions? Also, if we do a formal try somewhere we should let Michael put the Drum there...again, I am leaving it to the board, it's more ya'lls than mine...though some will never ever believe it no matter what I do or say...I just think that ebay nowadays sucks...and I still will use it and sell there....so don't get me wrong...it sucks it's just the best thing going..besides our auction houses we know and love...which I still bid in and consign to.....

Old 01-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

I think Dan just nailed it. A separate auction area on BST where each person can start their own thread. As to end time, let the seller set the rule for hard end, 15 minute rule, whatever they want as long as it's clear in the first post. Disputes are between bidders and sellers unless someone really abuses it - much like the current BST.

The point about interference is well made. Questions would be fine, but I can see people posting in the middle about this is already too high, etc. Leon doesn't have time to monitor and admin all that. I say try it for now and see what unfolds, and whether interference is a problem.

I'm still mentally wrestling with snipes or max bids. Allow anyone that posts a public bid to also email a max to the seller? No email-only bidders. With some condition that if the winning bid isn't one of the posted responses, the seller has to post a copy of the max bid email that shows it came in before the stated end of the auction? Sounds awfully "rulesy" to me, but this stuff could evolve once it gets going.

But Dan is right. BST auction area with individual threads might be the way to go once it looks like people would use it.

Gotta run now though - I have to catch the bus to Walmart, where they have rot on sale and I have a coupon besides. I have to get some more rot to throw around my shack, lest I not fit Bruce's perception of the stinking masses collecting beaters.

Joann

Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Dan,the questions would be sent directly to the seller who has to put their email address. Every auction would be posted by the seller directly and i dont see it getting too crowded because eventually people would say either the time is too close to ending or theres just too many cards up already,ill wait till next week.

I would say Barry it has to be up to the bidders to get their bids in on time.I wouldnt actually start it today(like Michael already did) i would find the best way to do it first.I dont know if people will actually like the idea of putting their best bid in public view so maybe we need an address to send it to and they get updated daily,until the last day.I would be willing to collect the bids and update it daily in the thread if people think thats better than just a cluster of bids all at 7:59 on the last day.Once i sorted out the winning bids ill post them in the thread with the winners name.That way people will put their best bids in but wont be afraid that people will see theyre willing to spend $1200 on a card that ended for $700....just a thought

Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Wow, a lot changes when you sleep in.

Sounds like a good idea to give it a try. I like Joe's idea of each card having its own listing and have the 15 minute rule since there is no "eBay auction" software. It would be more like auction house action.
It might be nice to have a Network 54 auction every three months or so with everyone throwing their own cards in to sell if everything works out.

One thousand, one thousand, and one thousand....SOLD!

Sean BH

**Edited to add - I assume there will be no proxy bids just a straight $20 increment bid or whatever you choose**

Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

just so i am clear...is it a "go" that we are trying the drum on the main page for now?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Whatever the masses decide but maybe the BST page could be better...I dunno...I just don't want to get thrown under the bus again.....all proceeds should go to the seller...100%..is my only rule for now...and if too many people convulse and call me names then I won't want it to be done....I enjoy the board too much to not contribute...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

I am all for the idea of having auctions run on the board, but I don't think all the details have been fully worked out and I am going to predict a fight breaks out right after one closes, because bidders will have different perceptions about the status of their final bid.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

leon- i respect your wishes...if you don't mind, let's keep this "test auction" on the main page, so everyone can easily see how is evolves...cool?

p.s. sorry to be a pest, but could you post the scans, if you have time?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I really think it should be listed in the BST area under a new catergory for auctions...if there is little action on a card for a day or two on the main board it will drop off to page 2. It will also clean up the main board if there are multiple auctions going on someday.

Sean BH

Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

sean- wait, i totally agree that future auctions should be in a seperate B/S/T area, but i was just suggesting that this "first" auction be on the main forum page so people can see how it evolvesand we can analyze and critic it for future auctions...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Mike,

If you email me the scans I can post them right away.

Joann

Edited to add: Oops - I see you already have scans posted. Nevermind.

But one more suggestion to whoever: Put the actual auction somewhere in the BST, and use the main board thread to discuss the auction, not be the actual auction. Otherwise the bids will get lost in the shuffle. I'm not suggesting a discussion thread for each auction - just this one as a test case. Put a link to the BST auction thread in the first post, and reserve the BST area for bids only - discussion limited to the thread on the main forum. Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

The idea of multiple auctions on the main forum cluttering up the main page is very relevent. I wouldn't want to see 10 threads with single card auctions going. That definitely would be uncool, imho. I like information on the front page not so much the auctions....but we'll see...

Old 01-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

I certainly don't mind this one thread for an auction to see how it goes.....there are more details to be worked out but I am not in favor of having them run in single threads on the main forum, long term...thanks