NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Andrelton Simmons second in WAR?

According to ESPN he is second in the league (and in all of baseball actually) in WAR behind only Altuve. He's having an OK year but not THAT great -- 11/39/.303/.352 OBP. So what is it about his other numbers that moves his WAR so high?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Defense. He's a platinum glove winner. I checked BR though and see he's 9th offensive WAR too. Hard to see it though from his stats.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Kyle May

I still can't believe the Braves gave him away...

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
According to ESPN he is second in the league (and in all of baseball actually) in WAR behind only Altuve. He's having an OK year but not THAT great -- 11/39/.303/.352 OBP. So what is it about his other numbers that moves his WAR so high?

Defense and the fact he plays a position in a league that is not loaded with a ton of other guys with offensive punch.

"Wins Above Replacement" appears to signify your value in relation to the position you play, and the average level player at that position............or something like that.

I do think it's rather dubious that he's ranked 9th in the league in Offensive WAR alone (according to Baseball Reference), leading people to think he's having a better offensive season then a ton of other players with far better stats then he has, simply because he plays a different position then they do.

I don't think he's having a better offensive season then Miguel Sano........or even Didi Gregorius, as his Offensive WAR number suggests.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Paul Peters

As an Angels fan I honestly could care less about his offense because he is the best defensive SS in baseball. Anything else he does is extra to me.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Defensive value is still a little murky, but you guys should know by now an 800ops is alot more impressive in Anaheim than in NY bos Tex etc. Just look at trout, or beltre. It's not rocket science c'mon.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Nick Barnes

I wouldn't use Baseball Reference or their convoluted WAR if I were you. The Fangraphs version seems to be the best in WAR per player and how that relates to team wins.

In fWAR Simba is 8th with 4.3 and has a 122 wRC+ and monstrous SS defense.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

On ESPN he is now only a tenth of a point behind Altuve. That's insane. However they are calculating this should be looked at.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

And now he is in first place. LOL.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

He's simply the best "Andrelton" in baseball history.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Dave

Quote:
And now he is in first place. LOL.
Same on Baseball Reference.

I don't get it either. He's 6th in the league for Offensive WAR, and apparently he makes Ozzie Smith look like trash defensively in comparison.

It's weird, it seems like some players get a WAR bump simply by existing, and other guys can hit 5 Homers and bat .500 one week, and barely move a blip on the radar.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
On ESPN he is now only a tenth of a point behind Altuve. That's insane. However they are calculating this should be looked at.
This is why WAR is worthless to use when comparing players who play different positions.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Mike

The guy is a flat out stud. Gunned another guy down at the plate yesterday in a time game
Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This is why WAR is worthless to use when comparing players who play different positions.
Just one of many reasons WAR is useless. From my understanding it does somehow get the young kids interested in the game, that is a plus.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just one of many reasons WAR is useless. From my understanding it does somehow get the young kids interested in the game, that is a plus.
Generally speaking it has seemed like a pretty good stat when I have referred to it, but this is ridiculous -- Simmons now the best player in the majors?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Generally speaking it has seemed like a pretty good stat when I have referred to it, but this is ridiculous -- Simmons now the best player in the majors?
If you are comparing players of the same position during the exact same time frame I like it, otherwise I consider it worthless.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Well, look at the top 15 all time. That's not a bad list really, as good as that generated by any other stat I think.

Rank

Player (yrs, age)

Wins Above Replacement

Bats/Throws

1. Babe Ruth+ (22) 183.7 L
2. Cy Young+ (22) 168.5 R
3. Walter Johnson+ (21) 165.6 R
4. Barry Bonds (22) 162.4 L
5. Willie Mays+ (22) 156.2 R
6. Ty Cobb+ (24) 151.1 L
7. Hank Aaron+ (23) 142.6 R
8. Roger Clemens (24) 140.3 R
9. Tris Speaker+ (22) 133.7 L
10. Honus Wagner+ (21) 131.0 R
11. Stan Musial+ (22) 128.1 L
12. Rogers Hornsby+ (23) 127.0 R
13. Eddie Collins+ (25) 123.9 L
14. Ted Williams+ (19) 123.2 L
15. Pete Alexander+ (20) 120.0 R

Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
no, this is EXACTLY what WAR is for, it was created to compare players across leagues, eras and positions. (which is why fangraph's version has league and park and run enviornment adjusted stats in it's formula) There is defensive adjustment by position that accounts for that.

If you want it to look more realistic STOP USING BASEBALL REFERENCE. It's formula is bad, and outdated.

Fangraphs has Simba 11th in batter fWAR (and this includes defense and baserunning) at 4.6, 1.3 behind #1 Altuve & Judge at 5.9. .

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...lter=&players=

I think that the rub is traditional stats people have kinda ignored the value od defense and base running and over focused on batting alone just because of the nature of stats. But Simbais hitting23% above an average player, playing the best defense in baseball and is an above avg base runner. This adds up to tremendous value.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-14-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

The Fangraphs version seems much more realistic to me in assessing Simmons. It also moves Betts down a bit from the ESPN version, which despite being a Red Sox fan I agree with. It also only rates Arenado 21st with which I agree also; his stats seem very park inflated to me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-14-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder about the pitching part of Fangraphs though. Severino tied with Kershaw?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-14-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 AM

That's the old eye test comes in handy no matter how much people want to down play it.

Last edited by packs; 08-14-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
I wonder about the pitching part of Fangraphs though. Severino tied with Kershaw?
They have similar K/9 and BB/9 and FIP and Severino has a couple more innings. Plus, remember that park and league factors come into play, Severino facing DH's, playing at Yankee Stadium helps him a bit too.