NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Harry Wright Scorecard in Clean Sweep

Hi all -

Let me know if anybody else has an opinion on this scorecard.

I believe that the scorecard in the listing is actually from two games, which would make sense since it's the front and back on a page.

The front shows the Troy Trojans losing to Boston on August 17, 1881 in a game that did not last 4 hrs and 55 minutes, but it ended at 4:55 pm.

The back is the Boston losing effort to Worcester on August 20, 1881.

It's still pretty cool, though.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early18con281.jpg (73.5 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg early18con281b.jpg (72.2 KB, 487 views)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

It states the first game ran from 3:30 to 4:55 p.m. so there is no mistaking the length of the game. Interesting item.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-05-2018, 02:00 PM
GaryPassamonte

These are two pages from Harry Wright's score books for 1881. Some pages have Wright's full signature, some have his initials, and some have neither. At one time, Wright's score books were in bound volumes for a few different year's. Apparently the owner of the 1881 volume decided there was money to be made be tearing the pages out of the volume. That is why there are usually two different games represented on the front and back of one sheet. I believe the Wright volumes for other years are still in tact, but I could be wrong. In 1995 volumes for 1878, 1879, and 1880 were part of the Mark Rucker auction. I'm unsure of their whereabouts.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I agree with Gary. This is a nice page with a small but clear signature. And the Auto is clearly the key factor to value. If you had a page from same book with no signature value would much less.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Barry Sloate

As someone who was part of the original find of Harry Wright scorebooks back in 1990, it breaks my heart to see these books torn apart into individual pages. Both the 1881 and 1883 season books have been destroyed by greedy sellers who had no respect whatsoever for baseball history.

As others have said, this is the front and back of two separate games. The value is in the signature, which is substantial. As Gary noted, only a small number of pages have a full signature. The great majority are either initialed "H.W." or are left blank.

I had two of the original books in my collection at one point: the 1883, which no longer exists, and the 1879, which I sold to a major collector. Fortunately the 1879 will stay intact for many years to come.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:49 PM
GaryPassamonte

Amen, Barry. It's all about the money and similar to cutting up bats and uniforms to make chase cards. Maybe we should cut up the Mona Lisa or the Declaration of Independence so that people could get a piece. Why not? I have to admit to buying one of these sheets because Ross Barnes played in the game. I have never felt good about that purchase.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 06-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.