NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: George

I think that the Bruces are aware that this is the United States of America, and we do not have royalty here. Therefore, when the Bruces refer to themselves as “we,” eschewing the use of the vertical pronoun, it must be for another reason.

There is a type of schizophrenia known as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), in which an individual has more than one personality. A famous example of MPD was Norman Bates in the movie “Psycho,” who was also Mrs. Bates. As far as the Bruces are concerned, who knows how many personalities they may have?

Clearly, there is the dynamic and aggressive Bruce, who has amassed a fortune and used it to accumulate baseball cards. Then there is the old (olde ?) English Bruce, who sees himself as an associate of Sherlock Holmes, and who uses words like “whilst” when he really means “while.” And then there is the sensitive and tender Bruce, who craves to be loved and admired by the community of baseball card collectors. Possibly the Bruces, when they were a 10-year old boy, did not have the best collection of baseball cards in the playground, and resolved to correct this situation in the future, but who knows?

By now, the Bruces have achieved all of their goals, with the exception of being universally recognized and admired by all other baseball card collectors. To help achieve this goal, they have subtly proposed to create a list of the 100 greatest collectors, cleverly omitting their own name from the list, while waiting expectantly for someone else to insist that they, the Bruces, must, of course, be added to the list………and certainly very close to the top. Inexplicably, this has not yet occurred. My suggestion to the Bruces is they offer an expensive (but expendable) card to the first person who nominates them for the list.

Then the Bruces will have done it all.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Jim Clarke

There is an ole saying. "If they are talking about you good or bad, thats GOOD! When they stop talking about you.. that's BAD"
On a good note.. I think Bruce Babcock is a great person with a super collection, while we are talking about, all the Bruces.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

I was hoping someone would bring this up

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: barry arnold

George,
--just for the sake of accuracy--
Multiple personality disorder was replaced with Dissociative Identity
Disorder in the DSM (American Psychiatric Association) some years back.
It is not categorized as a form of schizophrenia but as a dissociative
disorder.
all the best,

Barry

Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally have minimized my posting on this board because of "Mr. Dorkskin" The routine is old and he has NEVER contributed anything wothwhile to this board, all he is is talk and no show. We have never seen any of his (sorry, Their) cards from this so called "Toughest Want list" it is all talk. Why is he not considered one of those worms that infect forums?

As long as he is allowed to continue his "act" and not contributing I will be a minimal contributor on this board and use the new board as an outlet.

Lee

Old 12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Time to stick a spit through the pig and roast him. Though someone is going to have to remove his head from his rear so that it can be done properly.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: J Levine

How can you tell which is which for removal?

Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Jason L

no one has seen his(their) collection?
wow.
then I may actually have a better one!

What new board are you referring to?
Jason L

Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Ah J Levin...Great question.

The rear would be the one with more hair and fresher breath.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: andy becker

alright greg....you cracked me up

Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: E, Daniel

reading this is like watching gang rape. who exactly among the posters feels so great by toppping the last with unbelievable malice upon viscousness.....friggin ubelievable.

daniel enright

Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I did see some of his cards at the Reading Show so know for a fact he does have nice material. His 1912 Boston Garter that he brought to get graded was a very nice card.

So I will vouch for him that he does have and was told by a very prominent collector that has been to his place in New York and also verifies he has quality cards.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: martindl

Though i'm not a fan of the piling on that happens on here, I can't resist posting this excerpt from Wikipedia in relation to Pluralis majestatis (the Royal "we")

It was said that United States Navy Admiral Hyman G. Rickover told a subordinate who used the royal we: "Three groups are permitted that usage: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?"; similarly, Mark Twain extended this privilege to "people with tapeworms".

Maybe the next poll should be to pick which one we is. Me thinks tapeworms would get a lot of votes.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the tapeworm comment........
Hilarious.....

Old 12-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

martindl, that was one amusing post... super! A PSA 10 of a post!! A PSA 10 with untrimmed and unsoaked qualifiers!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been to Bruce's apartment many times and have seen his collection many times, too. And he does have some really nice material, though he was forced to sell some of it a couple of years ago. But he and I just spoke about conducting himself in a less antisocial manner on the board. Did I get through to him? I guess we'll find out.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: Cobby33

Daniel-
Amen, brother. Unfreakingbelieveable. Truly. And unfortuantely not limited to this thread.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: E, Daniel

I don’t know Bruce Dorskin at all, never spoken to him, or emailed him, nada.
I don't collect what he collects, I don't have his money, his circles, his anything. And, his writing style no doubt has pompous written all over it.

But tell me, as you try to ‘fix’ his social graces, how his original post was so offensive it has devolved into this new thread all about Bruce, and what people would like to do to him? And I don’t think you’ll find anything. His follow ups were clearly in response to some extremely ungenerous and anti-social responses to his post by others who have never liked him, and will never like him…..and then a quick piling on by the 'pilers on'.

So, just wondering, as you try to disembowel him post by post, perhaps we should send a shout out to those who would be so exceptionally thuggish in their writings that perhaps they too hold responsibility for such diatribes and invective, and that it does not exactly reflect so marvelously on their own character.

But that would be asking for fair play, parity, decency, and that rarely seems the norm on this board. Perhaps everyone else who writes with unusual traits, perhaps grammar for example, we could all jump in and start a tar and feather thread so as to demean them, and ourselves in the process. Yes, there is more than saying 'we' that pisses people off about Bruce. My advice - get the hell over it in time for the rest of your lives.

sincerely
Daniel

Old 12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default The Bruces

Posted By: leon

thanks for playing.....