NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Ne@l K

Default Angels - worst franchise in baseball

Mike Trout has to be frustrated …

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a...y-wont-happen/

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Bob Andrews

Didn’t read the story but if the Angels are a lousier franchise than my Orioles I feel really bad for their fans. At least the Angels have a player worth buying a ticket to watch. Orioles dealt away the only reason anyone had to pay even the minimal attention.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Mets

Try being a Mets fan. I have been one since I went to my first Mets game back in 1965 and with the exception of a few years we have sucked!!!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Kyle May

I have said for a while that the Angels are an embarrassment right now with their inability to get Trout into the playoffs. The Orioles are really, really bad as well, as I've heard front office executives around the league have talked about how difficult they are to deal with despite their league-worst record.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefund96 View Post
Try being a Mets fan. I have been one since I went to my first Mets game back in 1965 and with the exception of a few years we have sucked!!!
Please. The Mets have won two World Series. My Brewers have been in existence since 1969 when they were born as the Seattle Pilots; they moved to Milwaukee the next season.

Unless they right the ship this year, or they take another step forward next year, this franchise will have existed for half a century, making it to a single World Series....36 years ago, and losing it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

The Angles spent huge to get Pujols, and Ohtani, and I am sure there are others, I don't see them anywhere near the Orioles in that regard.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Angles spent huge to get Pujols, and Ohtani, and I am sure there are others, I don't see them anywhere near the Orioles in that regard.
What are you talking about? The O's spent huge to keep get and keep Chris Davis!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Garth Guibord

If "worst franchise" goes beyond the product on the field and includes the relationship with the fanbase, I think the Miami Marlins have a seat at this table...
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Rob Anderson

Twins are tied for most losses in the league since 2010. They haven't been a WS contender since 1992.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

When is the last time the Padres were good.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
When is the last time the Padres were good.
When they went to the World Series in the late 90s?

Perhaps the Padres don't qualify for the title of "Worst Franchise" because when they are bad, the local fans still have the weather, etc...
Old 07-24-2018, 03:41 PM

The worst franchise has to be the Mariners. They haven't ever made the World Series. They haven't made the Playoffs since 2001. They are trying to hold off the A's for the honor of losing the WC game to the Yankees or Red Sox.

Since the Mariners last Playoff series, the Angels won the World Series in 2002 and made the Playoffs in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2014. How many franchises have either won a World Series or made the Playoffs 7 times since 2001? I count 11, 10 teams have won the WS (Giants, Cards, Red Sox more than once) and 4 teams with more Playoffs (Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox and Dodgers with only the Dodgers not winning a WS). The Angels are not even in the discussion for worst, they are easily a top 10 franchise.

The Padres were in the Playoffs in 2005 & 2006 and have played in 2 World Series. The Brewers were in the Playoffs in 2008 & 2011 and have played in one World Series. So, my list would be 1)Mariners, 2)Brewers and 3)Padres.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Albert Pujols, of the Angels hit HR #631 yesterday to pass Ken Griffey on the all time list. Did anybody hear about it? Nothing but crickets. A missed opportunity for the Angels to be in the spotlight. Maybe I missed it. Their inaction is possibly related to their futility. It would have been a big time celebration if he was still wearing the birds on the bat.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

My vote goes to the Wilpon era Mets, worst ownership in baseball.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

The Angels are FAR from the worst franchise in baseball.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
The Angels are FAR from the worst franchise in baseball.
OP was made with a degree of sarcasm …. to have a player of Trout's magnitude and to make the playoffs ONCE, not having a farm system, and not doing anything to make the team any better while he is there (not for much longer?) then you have a really, truly bad franchise

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others

Last edited by Neal; 07-27-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Dave Foster

When the Pudres brain trust decided trading Rizzo for Cashner was a smart move, that should tell you all you need to know about how inept this team's ownership is. Effing Cashner??? WTF?? Surprise they never tried trading Gwynn for some magic beans.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
OP was made with a degree of sarcasm …. to have a player of Trout's magnitude and to make the playoffs ONCE, not having a farm system, and not doing anything to make the team any better while he is there (not for much longer?) then you have a really, truly bad franchise
So signing Ohtani is doing nothing?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Albert Pujols, of the Angels hit HR #631 yesterday to pass Ken Griffey on the all time list. Did anybody hear about it? Nothing but crickets. A missed opportunity for the Angels to be in the spotlight. Maybe I missed it. Their inaction is possibly related to their futility. It would have been a big time celebration if he was still wearing the birds on the bat.
Why is just passing one guy worth of a big time celebration? It's not a major milestone like his 3000th hit and 600th homer which were events.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 PM

I'm a reds fans and they break my heart year in and year out with bonehead trades such as Aroldis Chapman and giving up a ton of great prospects for matt latos.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
So signing Ohtani is doing nothing?
Considering the Angles knew Ohtani had elbow issues, and now needs TJ, it is a bad signing.

That said, I love that the ownership will spend. They have for years, dare I say decades even. The signings are questionable though and I am sure, frustrating for their fan base not only present but certainly in the past.

I shouldn't throw rocks though. My Royals have sure pissed away dollars......
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Johnny MaZilli

As a lifelong Fan and Baltimore Guy the Orioles are the worst origination in terms of onfield performance, player development, and scouting.

What would Trout cards be worth if he played on the Yankees or Boston ?

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Didn’t read the story but if the Angels are a lousier franchise than my Orioles I feel really bad for their fans. At least the Angels have a player worth buying a ticket to watch. Orioles dealt away the only reason anyone had to pay even the minimal attention.

I hear you Bob:

FANLESS HOMER BY CHRIS DAVIS after riots.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I hear you Bob:

Attachment 328261
April 29, 2015

Only Modern Era Game Ever to be Played with no fans allowed to Attented Due to Riots, Freddie Gray.

Sadly Baltimore leadership has been in disarry for years :-(