NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default Modern shiny stuff v. Vintage Pre War

One of the biggest reasons I love collecting vintage nowadays is because I don't have to videotape myself packaging an Exquisite Jordan Auto i sold with fear of a paypal complaint of an empty package anymore because almost all vintage collectors are gentlemen! Breath of fresh air! No more shiny stuff for me!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
One of the biggest reasons I love collecting vintage nowadays is because I don't have to videotape myself packaging an Exquisite Jordan Auto i sold with fear of a paypal complaint of an empty package anymore because almost all vintage collectors are gentlemen! Breath of fresh air! No more shiny stuff for me!
I agree Jim. Although i don't know a lot of the shiny collectors I feel that 99% or more of the vintage collectors are really great guys. I have said it many times before but the camaraderie in our niche of collecting is awesome. I have made some great friends since I started collecting, some 15 yrs ago....best regards

ps....I am sure there a lot of good shiny collectors too, I just don't know many folks in that field....
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Zach

I second that, and the members I have spent hundreds on buying vintage cards from off this forum were all great guys that shipped fast, communicated fast, and offered fantastic deals to me. And they even talked with me a little bit about cards, which I never get to do in my life because everyone around me has zero interest in cards; friends, family, and my finacee just don't get it, hence why I have made so many posts for someone that has only been a member of this forum for 3 months.
I used to talk to the shiny collectors at the local card shop back in the mid 90s and I tried to collect some of those newer cards, and they were alot different from vintage collectors and usually alot younger. Talking about and collecting those cards bored me to death and made me stop collecting for 15 years til I decided to go with vintage.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Agreed, and everyone for the most part, knows the riffraff
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Bob Pomilla

Good point about vintage collectors, Jim and I agree.

"I feel that 99% or more of the vintage collectors are really great guys."

Leon, my extensive research into the matter, indicates that 99.3% is accurate.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM

At the end of the day, be it shiny, prewar or both, someone enjoys and it collects it.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Marvin J.

You know, I actually collect both now. The primary difference I've picked up on is that with pre-war, the cards are a beast in their own right, beautiful, and aesthetically amazing, eloquently artful, and overall - freaking awesome!

The new stuff, I collect but I'll never drop the money that I would for pre-war; no way. In fact, I had mentioned on another board that my ratio of spending is 10 to 1 = pre-war vs modern. I don't mind getting burned on the modern stuff - it's only a few bucks. I'd get pissed if I got burned on pre-war and forums like this have been great educationally to learn real vs fake and good history lessons.

And it helps with the fact that I refuse to sell my cards - all for my personal, greedy enjoyment!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM

whats so appealing to me about the prewar cards there is a artistry and character about them not some machine pumping them and billions of them being made. i collected when i was a kid and my 1990 topps isnt worth the paper its printed on lol eveyone lied to me and said save them and they will be worth money one day LOL
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

there are some pre-war dbags out there too, you know who you are!