NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Magazine

Posted By: Geno

Is there any online resource that allows us to read the articles in the pre-war Baseball Magazine? I'm not sure what dates it ran through, but somewhere in the 1910's would be cool to read through...

Thanks!
Geno

Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Baseball Magazine was published between 1908 and 1957, then had a short but unsuccessful revival in 1964-65. There was a time where I, along with a couple of partners, tried to put the whole run on CD. We owned the rights to a version on microfiche, but it was impossible to get it clear enough to easily read.

That microfiche is with the Hall of Fame, and I believe some effort was made to make the whole run available for free online. Don't know if that project ever got off the ground.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Barry, that was one fine noble cause you had, there. I'd love to see a legible version on a CD.

If that gets done, then it would be great to have an index assembled.

Frank W.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

Geno

Go here and click on search http://www.la84foundation.org/

Looks like they have some magazines.

take care

Bob

Old 07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Frank- in 1990 a group of us bought a huge book and publication collection, the kind of collection I will probably never see again. We had a virtually complete run of Baseball Magazine. The Hall of Fame asked if they could borrow the set to microfilm, and of course we agreed.

In retrospect, we should have thought that out better because microfilm was already becoming obsolete. We had visions for years of issuing the complete set and selling it, but it never worked out. After ten years of trying we finally gave up.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

Bob hit the nail on the head! I just went to the Digital Archive search and typed in "Cobb." I got a bunch of stuff like "Ty Cobb From the Viewpoint of a National Leaguer" by John Evers. "Joss" got me an article on his benefit game that raised $12,914.60 - Great stuff!

Take Care,
Geno

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

If you're a SABR member, you can order reels of microfilm from their research library three at a time and view them at your local library. There are roughly 2-3 years worth of issues per reel.

Jeff

Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Bob, Barry & All,
I would of Happily paid you for this information
I'm gonna down load as much of these Magizines as possible to bring them with my to Iraq! WoW!!! What a Deal....
Barry, I'm surprized that you gave up on your idea. Heck, after ONLY 10 YEARS? (Place Sarcastic Smiley right here!) I imagine you as a "I Never Quit Kinda Guy". But then again, even Seinfeld had to find his out at the right time!

So In the end, Bob saves the Day! "Thanks Bob".........

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Bob, that is a useful site. Thanks for posting that.

Frank.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sean

I just wish they had post 1920 baseball magazines

Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Denny- we made a sample CD from the microfilm and it was blurry and very difficult to read. We knew nobody would buy that. All we could do is make more microfiche copies, and who has a microfiche reader in his office?

We wanted it to be profitable since it would have been a fairly big project with a significant outlay of seed money, and in the end we didn't think we could make it work.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

"I'm gonna down load as much of these Magizines as possible to bring them with my to Iraq! WoW!!! What a Deal...."

Denny,

Glad to be of service. Best wishes on your deployment to Iraq!

Bob