NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Memory Lane policies

Just thought I'd let the board know, since it's not in their stated policies:

If Memory Lane misrepresents an item (sells you a piece of crap that is not what was described in the auction), the customer eats the return postage.

It cost me $26.05 to look at a group of hacked-up Spalding Guides, plus the aggravation. That was my second experience with Memory Lanes, and definitely my last. What was really puzzling and irritating was that on the initial phone call, without my prompting, their rep told me NOT to worry about shipping - just tell them what it was and they would cover it.

After shipping, I gave them my cost and they did NOT cover it. Then when I asked about it, they asked me if a $27 credit was okay. I said 'no' - send a check. I was then told that it is not their policy to pay return shipping and that I could get the credit. If this didn't work for me, the employee who made the mistake would write a personal check at his expense. That was about the oddest, most unprofessional statement I've ever heard from an auction house, but it will certainly be the last from this one.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM
pete ullman

That sucks! So Scott...no more walks down memory lane for you?!?!

Amazing how some businesses will throw away customers over such little things...the ultimate loss to them is so much greater!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It cost me $26.05 to look at a group of hacked-up Spalding Guides, plus the aggravation.
Sorry to hear that Scott. To be expected and it could have been much worse http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/05/jpcohen.shtm.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

This surprises me so much...with Memory Lane's previous customer service policies and practices, I would think that they would have then billed you for the phone calls, a restocking fee, a relisting fee, and a handling fee. Then decided to block you from future auctions while adding your name twice to their mailing lists to make sure you get both catalogs, sales calls, and email. I am shocked that they did not call you names and threaten to sue. Their customer service reps must have had an off day with you.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Scott--after hearing that, if Memory Lane is reading this thread, please remove me from your mailing list.

Jay Miller
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Sorry to hear that Scott. To be expected and it could have been much worse http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/05/jpcohen.shtm.
Lay down with dogs...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

There are too many AHs out there anyways. Thanks for helping me cross one more off my list to do business with.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Edited: Responding to an email I sent today, ML is taking care of this and mailing me a check. Apparently my item qualifies for payment of shipping - employee mistake.

I'm in the mood for good news, so I will choose to believe this.

Last edited by Runscott; 06-06-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Michael C

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact they were getting outed on a public forum of their clients.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
... If this didn't work for me, the employee who made the mistake would write a personal check at his expense. That was about the oddest, most unprofessional statement I've ever heard from an auction house, but it will certainly be the last from this one.
Scott

I find that statement a little hard to swallow. That is what you were told? I have many employees and cannot imagine saying such a thing to a customer/patient, etc. It undermines credibility with employees and also undermines your credibility with a customer, etc.

I guess it is possible if this what is understood with an employee when they are hired or a new policy goes into effect. As long as agreed to.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

It was weird, but everything I related is accurate. It went from a perfect response, to a really poor response. But it has been rectified completely.

I'm posting once again in this thread because they took care of things and I thought I should publicly acknowledge that. I received an email from JP with apologies and an affirmation that what I originally understood to be their policy was accurate. I'm still in Colorado, but my girlfriend told me that a check arrived for shipping, plus a gift with apologies.

Mistakes happen. Honestly, I have never had an auction house leave me feeling like I had been screwed. There have been a couple that left a really bad taste in my mouth due to the way they handled myself and others, but even those eventually cleaned up their acts and I can't really think of a single auction house that I wouldn't deal with.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Jake

Quote:
I can't really think of a single auction house that I wouldn't deal with.
I'll alert Coach's Corner they have a new customer.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!