NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: Jay Miller 

Not to cast any aspersions on other Old Judge collectors, but does anyone know who the moron is who is bidding over $500 on a rebacked John Smith Old Judge card. John Smith has one valuable pose, a portrait with the title "Phenominal Smith". Otherwise, his cards are common and he was certainly not a star. This is a $100 card not a $500 card. John Billingsley did a good job hypeing the card in the write-up but this bidder took the bait, and then some.
This case is similar to Healy-Washington. He has a very valuable portrait, but his other cards are the most common of commons.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: halleygator

Thank you for at least having the decency to phrase your question in an anonymous manner ...

rather than just coming out and asking:

"Hal Lewis, are you out there bidding like an idiot again?"

Relax ... I am not interested in John, whether he was Phenomenal or not.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: runscott

Jay, no one else is going to say this, so I will. John is well-trusted in the ebay community, so if his comments are believable, his customers will buy it hook-line-and-sinker. We saw this when he was selling the trimmed Lipset cards two years ago, and I was defending his descriptions, giving him the benefit of the doubt, because I know him and he's a nice guy.

Jay, if you told me a card was rare, I would believe you. John reads this board, as does his buddy Brooks, so I would have expected him to ammend his description before taking this poor sap for an extra $300 or so. He didn't - maybe he went on vacation for a while.

More and more dealers are taking advantage of buyer trust to squeeze out some extra profit - this is a shame.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

On the other hand, I would not hesitate to buy from John - he is one of the friendliest sellers I have dealt with, and his customer service is A+, giving immediate refunds for undescribed writing on cards, damage, etc.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: John(z28jd)

The only thing i could think of besides the description possibly misleading people is that Baltimore collectors seem willing to spend alot more on old judges which ive seen on ebay in the past,but Smith also has 5 different Baltimore variations in the set so based on that alone it cant be THAT tough to warrant a $500 bid.....I think its more of a case of uneducated bidders.It looks like 2 people really want it and they were both willing to pay alot for it. I'll mention a possible similar scenario.A well-known T206 collector wanted to make sure he won a card that was probably a 35-40$ card.He bid way more than it was worth,and ended up paying $140.
I was thinking of bidding on the Smith because i want one,its the nickname,im not gonna lie,he wasnt a good player(ala Chicken Wolf who i have a card of,but probably wouldnt have spent so much on if he used his real name,William Van Winkle).Once the Smith reached $150+ i gave up that idea of bidding.I couldve bought a GAI2 Smith,same pose but with the A's for $150 earlier this year

Old 09-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

The two high bidders might have been well aware that the card isn't rare, but they each had huge egos and open bottles.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

The funny thing is the high bidder seems to be a dealer. He has over 3000 feedback and almost all of his feedbacks are sales.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Sorry--feedback was only 2500+

Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: halleygator

Given that it is re-backed...

I don't even think this is a $100 card.

Crazy.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: warshawlaw

These ungraded examples from a non-professional seller sold for $3,650 on ebay. described as "1)THIS CARD PICTURES AND READS "WELSH,P.,NEW YORKS COPYRIGHT BY GOODWIN & CO. 1889 OLD JUDGE CIGARETTE FACTORY GOODWIN & CO. NEW YORK" 2)THISCARD PICTURES AND READS "DELAHANTY,2DB PHILA.,COPYRIGHT 1889 OLD JUDGE CIGARETTE FACTORY GOODWIN & CO. NEW YORK" 3)THIS CARD PICTURES AND READS "TURNER,C.F.MINNEAPOLIS COPYRIGHT 1889 OLD JUDGE CIGARETTE FACTORY GOODWIN & CO. NEW YORK" with bleary but passable pictures showing what look like vg-ex to ex cards. comments??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3239495184

Old 09-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

I couldn't see any obvious problems with the cards but given the sellers no return policy and the fact that the bidding level was close to full value I saw no reason to bid. Much of the bidding was done by a "1" feedback and a "0" feedback bidder so that makes you wonder a little too.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I am amazed that this thing is even over $100 but $500 WOW!!! I think John is a very happy camper right now. I think there might be a few bidders not reading the descriptions completely. Look at what his other re-backed cards are bringing.

As far as the lot of three N172's that sold for $3,650, I was one of the under bidders on this lot. Adam did you happen to see who the players are? The Delahanty will probably grade an 80 or better the Welch does have a black mark over his name but looks 70 to 80 material to me. I have bought N172's from this seller before and they where beautiful! They are original!!! The seller is good.

Hey Adam are you going to be at the Hollywood Park show this weekend? If so I will be setting up again. I hope to see you there.
Trevor

Old 09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

But I smelled shill s**t all over that auction so I stayed out of it.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

I remembered that the Hebrew word for diarrhea is "shillshool". Sorta appropriate.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I would have to agree about the shill bidding. It did look a little suspicious. I had offered the guy $3,000 to end the auction early but he passed and then amazingly I was out bid by a 0 feedbacker very shortly after the auction had opened. But there was some serious bidding after the $3,100 mark. I still believe that the cards went for a fair market price. I'm sure the auction was won by a very knowledgeable dealer, who reads this board. I'm also sure they will make a VERY nice profit off these cards, especial after they are submitted for grading.

See you at the show. I just got an e-mail saying Mastro will be there. I guess they must have been in town or something. I think this is the first time they have hit the west coast. It should be fun to finally meet Kevin Struss in person.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default INSANITY BIDDING

Posted By: julie

..how would he know?