NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM

Default T206 artwork vs. reality

Greetings,

I've been staring at lots of T206s and reading lots about pre-war baseball. In putting together my T206 wish list, I am looking for cards that portray the player in a manner that at least seems realistic.

In your view, what T206 cards best match your feeling about a player?

For example, I can't come to grips with the Walter Johnson pitching card. That face just doesn't match my view of what he looked liked.

I don't see McGraw in the portrait with hat. But the McGraw glove at hip is one of my favorites. I also like the portrait with no hat.

I love both Waddell cards. The one of him pitching looks a bit freaky but I saw the photo it is based on and that grounded the card a bit for me.

I love the Evers cards - amongst my favorite. Both Crawford cards though feel a bit non descript.

Thoughts? Any of the representations really speak to you? Or any of them feel particularly bland?

Just curious!

Eric
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Billy Purtell

Billy Purtell really looked like that!

The portrait cards look really good to me. Note the Cy Young pitching pose is on the "unrealistic" side...same for the Johnson pitching you already mentioned...Bresnahan batting looks very little like his portrait cards...the list is pretty long.

And then there is Spike Shannon, "Lurch" Egan and Chappy Charles...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Ron Rice

Default T206 poses

I also like the T206 poses where the image is an almost perfect iconic likeness of the guy. Some of the poses show the guy's personality, too. Here's a few to consider:

Cobb (either portrait)
Ames (Pitching)
Chase (either portrait)
Evers (batting)
Jennings (2 hands up)
Lajoie (portrait)
Davis (A's)
Chief Meyers (Portrait)
Bender (portrait)
M Brown (throwing, Cubs)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Craig Wright

For me it's Ty Cobb, Bat Off. It's like he's staring down an opposing pitcher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb (Bat Off).jpg (27.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Archive

I imagine the process of transferring the photos into a card image was difficult and a lot of the details were left out.

The T206 of Crawford (throwing) has barely any of the details showing on the card when compared to the original photo taken by Van Oeyen.

Jantz
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Default Egan

I have posted these scans before, but I thought all those that have the T206 of Egan on the top of their dislike list might consider the photographic evidence below. If anything, the artist was probably guilty of sugar-coating the monster-esque reality that was Egan, such as the gaping fish mouth and crazed eyes set within sunken sockets. I personally believe that close to 85% of the T206 cards do a real good job depicting the player's likeness, and many times convey a bit of their personality as well. In the case of Egan that probably would be stupor and demonicism.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egan3117.jpg (17.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg egan113.jpg (51.5 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 01-19-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: grandma issues
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Mike Ryan

Default Wiltze/Schlei

Eric,
These are the two that I wonder about. Wiltze(no cap) on the left looks 20 years younger than Wiltze(with cap) on the right. Also,Schlei in the center and Wiltze (with cap) look to be the same person.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiltzeSchlei 001.jpg (79.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 AM
David

Default Feller look alike

I'd swear the Doyle, throwing version is Bob Feller (just look at the face). Weird!

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 01-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Johnson pitching is indeed nothing like him. Mathewson portrait, to me, doesn't look much like him either. Compare it to the T205 which is taken from a photo -- I don't see the resemblance. Speaker is a little iffy too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.