NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default 1963 Fleer. As tough as it gets.

Posted By: Joe Brennan

I enjoy this forum and commend Leon for starting it for the serious football collectors that also enjoy pre war baseball. I became a football collector because I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. that lacked a pro baseball team. I was lucky enough to be old enough to remember the early years of the AFL. I know I've told this story before, but I just like to hear myself talk.
The 1963 Fleer set was Fleer's last year of football before they lost the contract to the Philadelphia Gum Company. The cards in this issue are absolutely beautiful. To me the Topps issues of the same years (60,61,62,63) pale compared to the colorful Fleer issues. This set has some of the greatest AFL and for that matter All-Time football players in history. Rookie cards of Len Dawson, Lance Alworth and Nick Bonticounti command high respect on the market. This issure was burdened with horrible centering problems that when found centered high profile cards command huge premiums. The Bonticounti sells in the $800 range in a PSA 8 when found problem free. The Alworth card is so hard to find centered that a number of high profile collectors still do not have a worthly example in their collection. Other highlights of the set are Jack Kemp, 2 SP's, Keith Lincoln, Don Maynard, George Blanda and too many more to list. One card that is almost impossible to find centered is the NNO checklist. I personally have never seen a perfectly centered example. The 89 cards in the set makes this a set that collectors can register with PSA and have fun completing unlike modern 400 or 500 card sets. As you can see I am partial to the Fleer sets and completed mine in 2007. It is currently registered under 2dueces on the PSA site. It will remain as one of my favorites. I hope you enjoyed the read and urge collectors to tell us something about their favorite sets in the near future. It would be a great addition to everyone's knowledge and will help keep this board active. I firmly believe that football has always and will always take a back seat to baseball, but is slowly gaining the respect that it deserves.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Well established as a gum and candy company, Fleer followed some of its competitors into the business of selling sports cards. It began by signing baseball star Ted Williams to a contract in 1959 and sold an 80-card set oriented around highlights of his career. Fleer was unable to include other players because another company, Topps, had signed most active baseball players to exclusive contracts.

Williams was nearing the end of his career and retired after the 1960 season. However, Fleer continued to produce baseball cards by featuring Williams with other mostly retired players in a Baseball Greats series. One set was produced in 1960 and a second in 1961. The company did not produce new cards the next year, but continued selling the 1961 set while it focused on signing enough players to produce a set featuring active players in 1963. This 67-card set included a number of stars, including 1962 National League MVP Maury Wills (then holder of the modern record for stolen bases in a season), who had elected to sign with Fleer instead of Topps. Wills and Jimmy Piersall served as player representatives for Fleer, helping to bring others on board. However, Topps still held onto the rights of most players and the set was not particularly successful.

Meanwhile, Fleer took advantage of the emergence of the American Football League in 1960 to begin producing football cards. Fleer produced a set for the AFL while Topps cards covered the established National Football League. In 1961, each company produced cards featuring players from both leagues. The next year reverted to the status quo, with Fleer covering the AFL and Topps the NFL. In 1964, however, Philadelphia Gum secured the rights for NFL cards and Topps took over the AFL.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Part of my set. I hope you enjoy this subject as much as I do. Joe

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately I do not own this.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Joe,

I couldn't agree more. The 60's Fleer sets blow away the Topps issues.

I picked up a '63 Alworth last year, it was a tough card to get a hold of. These cards in high grade are just awesome. I especially like the 1961 Jim Taylor.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't collect football but those are neat looking pack fresh cards....thansk for sharing..

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

OK, I must defend my spat-upon Topps sets. Set for set, I prefer Topps.

1960 - The Fleer set is just downright U-G-L-Y. One of the few sets I haven't even bothered to try and collect, and I collect everything. The Topps set may be simple, but at least it ain't ugly.

1961 - I love the colored backgrounds on the Topps set and it is one of my favorite 60's sets from any company. The Fleer set is OK, because it contains players from both leagues, but the dark, depressing colors of the photography remind me of too many rainy days.

1962 - OK, I dislike the landscape format of the Topps set and the black borders, but the player selection in the Fleer set is not really there either. I do like the colored borders however. It's a toss up to me.

1963 - Yes, the Fleer set has some high-powered rookies, and some tough SP's, and is hard to find in general, but the Topps set has all the colors man! I mean look at the colors! ............Ahhhhhhh, the colors man! Groovy!

I may be a bit biased with the 63's however.\

http://members.socket.net/~rbpuzzles/

Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

I collected mainly vintage football as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. The 63 Fleer was the absolute toughest to find in my opinion. I was lucky enough to buy an almost complete set of these lacking a few commons and the checklist. Most of the cards were in this condition and there were a few duplicates also such as the Kemp and Alworth. The second Alworth was in horrible condition for some reason. These were the only ones I remember seeing back then. The scratch is on the holder.
Clint

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Barnes

if anyone has a fairly cheap Buoniconti RC please email me!
John

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I love the cards in this set. I am thinking of going for it and was just wondering what a set in VG-EX condition would cost me if I tried to work on the set over time and how often do complete sets show up? Thanks CN